Ivison Guitars - Build and Repair Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    nickb_boy said:
    If you're settling on the coin inlay idea and want to make it more relevant for your guitars there might be another idea to throw in the pot.  A quick eBay search shows for under 99p each you could source a load of coins from 1954-1961 to represent the junior year that model is based on.  
    Love this! Nice one Nick! Teyeplayer said:
    miserneil said:
    Could you get mock coins pressed with your own logo and year the guitar was built perhaps, combining both ideas?
    Might be a bit above my means currently but i'll certainly check it out. I kind of liked the idea that the coin might not aways be the same or a birth year thus making it more personal to the player.....but it's another great idea @Teyeplayer! :)
    Weird aside maybe... my sisters a jewellery maker, does some cool stuff with inlaid metal/wood. May not be as traditional as a coin but probably not as expensive either; more than happy to put you in contact with each other. 
    Ah! Ok, that sounds very interesting too, I will certainly keep it in mind, thanks!

And yes, love that @WezV headstock too @merlin, VERY classy indeed!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    There is a lot to be said for having a logo that can be inlaid in seconds.. I have a Forster bit that matches the logo discs.

Although that was the last one of those I think so I need to get something new made for the current builds.  I might still have some paduak ones, but the grain goes the wrong way for my eyes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Hmmmmmm. Not sure about the coins myself. Am I missing something? How are they relevant to you or Ivison?

If your brand is going to be called Ivison, you need that on the headstock, perhaps embellished with a logo or something visual. Have you done any research on the history of your surname? Anything visual come to mind?

Although I originally liked the Gibson font, I've changed my mind. Your guitars are not just copies. They deserve to stand on their own two feet and have their own branding. Just keep it classy and slightly vintage, in keeping with the instruments.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    My tuppence worth (sorry)  is that you should steer clear of the Gibson font. Imho it would elevate you front being a copy to a standalone luthier brand. The coin idea is great and would look great against a black face headstock. All the ideas above are great and any coin could offer any relevance to any customer. Good luck!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Not sure about the coin, don’t see the tie in. But an inset coin sized metal disc with your own logo stamped on it could be a more relevant variation on the idea.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1170
    edited March 2018
    Cool guitars miserneil!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

I think it could work great as a brand identity where as soon as you saw a coin on the head stock you would instantly know it was an Ivison without needing to see a name. 
    Thanks Mark! This was my exact thinking :)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    What about solid silver disc hallmarked plus your own maker stamp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Don’t often venture into this section of the forum - so only just picked up on this thread. They look stunning Neil.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    sawyer said:
    What about solid silver disc hallmarked plus your own maker stamp.
    Like this idea. Make them nickel, so they tarnish and give the vintage vibe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    For simplicities sake I would go with  engraved or etched aluminium.  In fact I might.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    Easy enough to get alu or steel ones made at your local locksmith!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    miserneil said:
    Philly_Q said:
    miserneil said:
    Plukky said:
    Are the headstocks Gibson shaped with no logo per your cherry DC, or do you have your own shape and logo for production guitars?
    The headstocks will be my own shape with my own logo on production guitars, yes.

To be totally honest, it’s still such a new venture, i’m still working on a suitable logo, although I have a few ideas. I might post them up and get the assembled wisdom of the forum... 
    Didn't you do one with an Ivison logo in the style of the Gibson logo, or am I imagining things?
    Not imagining things at all @Philly_Q ;, I certainly did, I quite like it too, thoughts from the floor?

It was on this all gold Junior I made:

Another option which I think would look great in theory, but which I need to try, is an inlayed coin, a nickel or a dime perhaps?
    The Logo ‘Ivison’ looks perfect  :)
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Any plans to make double-cut Specials, or will you just be doing Juniors?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    bodhi said:
    Any plans to make double-cut Specials, or will you just be doing Juniors?
    Yes, I'll be doing Double Cut and Single Cut Specials in the future, I have the measurements and templates off a KILLER 1956 TV Special that I owned for a while, here's a pic of the measuring in progress:

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    The coin thing doesn't look good in my opinion, and I don't think you should copy the Gibson font. That just reminds me of the far-east and things like 'super grade' being made to look like Les Paul on a Burny. 
    The hard part is coming up with something that meets the high bar you've set with the rest of the guitar. What ever you do, it should have your name involved.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 315
     Could you have an ornate letter 'i' on the head stock face with the coin forming the dot at the top of the 'i'? 
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 379
     Could you have an ornate letter 'i' on the head stock face with the coin forming the dot at the top of the 'i'? 
    Nice idea. Perhaps with the rest of Ivison running down the centre of the headstock between the machineheads?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

This may be a bit out there, but maybe something with an ivy leaf?  Ivy-son?

Image result for ivy leaf

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Philly_Q said:

This may be a bit out there, but maybe something with an ivy leaf?  Ivy-son?

Image result for ivy leaf

Hmmm...

How about if we combine that with the coin idea to give nice engraved (aged?) metal ivy leaf inlaid into the headstock...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...