Power Conditioner....What a difference

What's Hot
joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
edited March 2018 in Studio & Recording
About 12 months ago I purchased a Samson PB10 from @sherpa_man ;;

I haven't really used it to be honest, didn't get round to ordering extra cables.

I've been getting some hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss from my speakers so I thought I would try it.

Feck Me.  What a difference.  They are totally silent. I'm almost imagining hissing because I was so used to it.

Happy days
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• So they make that much of a difference?  I've never tried one.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    For me it did!

I can have the speaker volumes all maxed, and not a sound, not even the smallest hiss.  Crapped myself pushing play to check they were on.
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    What are you plugging into it?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    What are you plugging into it?
    Currently,

KRK Rokit 5s x 2
    Kemper
    Focusrite 18i20
    My monitor (just to cut down on wall plugs..)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    Sounds like the hiss was line-borne HF noise from something else in the room/nearby - computer or (TV) monitor power supplies are a good candidate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Sounds like the hiss was line-borne HF noise from something else in the room/nearby - computer or (TV) monitor power supplies are a good candidate.
    I have literally no idea, but I do know it is better now.  It's nice to be a dunce in some areas, I was very happy with the change ha

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1617

I am of the opinion that in UK at least, our mains supply is so clean and stable (fekkin SHOULD be at the price!) that power "conditioners" are not needed (and some of the 'diss' board types can actually make earth lines 'dirtier') .

If indeed it can be proved that the conditioner cured the hiss I would look for a fault or design defect in the rest of the signal chain. Monitors are the most likely suspect.

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33779
    I have power conditioners in the studio but they are just glorified power strips that fit conveniently into a rack and make the cabling neater.
    Unless you go for high end balanced power options they are no better than a power strip in almost all cases.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    In the world of hi-fi, power conditioners are frowned on because they suck the life out of the music.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27945
    prowla said:
    In the world of hi-fi, power conditioners are frowned on because they suck the life out of the music.
    In the world of hi-fi, reason is frowned upon because it sucks the voodoo and superstition out of kit sales.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4975
    Forty years ago, the hi-fi world suggested that cables and the quality of the electricity supply affected the sound the listener hears. Not everyone agreed or still agree for that matter, but some of those who actually checked out the claims, found that they enjoyed music 'more' as a result of using said cables and power cleaning devices. Not everyone but some.

Some musicians are arriving at the same conclusions but from a different direction. Guitar players use distortion but need to be in control of the distortion rather than put up with the (probably) unneeded additional distortions supplied with their electric power.

Basically we listen to music. A guitar player listens to the sound he is creating. If there is a problem, it becomes a choice between ignoring it or fixing it. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1617

Until someone can explain why the mile or more of cable from the substation (of bog S 99.9% Copper) is somehow 'perfect' and it is only the last 2 mtrs or so that dramatically improves the sound I shall continue to call the beardy tweaks "'king audiophool idiots".

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @ecc83 Good question Dave, to answer it as fully as I can, we need a brief history lesson.

In and before the 1970s, hi-fi was simple. Buy a few boxes and connect them up and you get sound. Around the mid 1970s, the hi-fi press carried infrequent reports of Japanese enthusiasists experiments with different types of wires to improve the sound from their systems. Most felt this was impossible and the reports were treated as humourous and not taken too seriously.

Suddenly Naim Audio announced that the usage of Litz wires as speaker cables, blew up the output transistors in their power amps. Naim Audio brought out its own speaker cable which the company claimed did not harm its amps.

Those of us who think about these things wondered that if a cable could damage an amplifier, could a cable improve the sound of an amplifier. Experiments showed that this is actually the case. Why or how hardly matters if the audio result is better. Naim Audio subsequently introduced a superior speaker cable to the market, an action that suggested the cables did more than carry the speaker current.

That is where we are at at the moment. Some refuse point blank to think that cables affect what we hear. Others are totally convinced they do. On this forum a lot of very highly respected members favour the former camp. And very vocally too. Which is a pity as such dissenting comments might prevent others from checking for themselves.

So the answer to your question Sir, is that I don't know why. I do know that in my system it does. I am not too concerned how it does, I am too tied up enjoying the music to even care.

But even the best system with the best cables cannot do anything about or improve the sound of low or mid bitrate music files. Music from Spotify etc is only a pale shadow of a CD or 12" LP. But that is a subject for another day.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Just to add some more detail,

I got the power conditioner to cut down on the amount of plugs being used.  Seems like a good extension lead to have.

The hiss went, and I'm happy. No idea if it was coincidence etc, but also don't care... it's gone woo!

I do feel I can hear some better high harmonics, most probably don't to some crystal lattice structure. ahem.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27945
    edited March 2018
    Rocker said:
    Some refuse point blank to think that cables affect what we hear. Others are totally convinced they do. On this forum a lot of very highly respected members favour the former camp. And very vocally too. Which is a pity as such dissenting comments might prevent others from checking for themselves.

And many of us have done proper double blind tests and found that they back up the science and show the marketing bullhonky for what it is.

Preventing others from wasting vast sums of money on mains cables that can be shown both theoretically and in practice to make no audible difference is most certainly not "a pity".

You even loaned a cable to some people here - they found it made no difference but you carry on calling them liars.

There are obvious differences between a power conditioner and a cable. You have claimed to be an electrician so you ought to understand that.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Good work @joeyowen. ; Result!

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Sporky said:
    prowla said:
    In the world of hi-fi, reason is frowned upon because it sucks the voodoo and superstition out of kit sales.
    Some things are pure snake oil, it has to be said.