Cheap bass from Thomann?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    However, reading back to the OP, an alternative to dropping to Eb would be to invest in a set of Hipshot eXtenders (aka D-tuners).

Normally you'd just put one on the bottom E to take it down to a D, but it'll do Eb just as easily.

However, you could possibly (and depending upon fit) put one on each string - I think Michael Manrig has something like that to do all of his tuning variations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Thanks for all the replies.   I’m now sorted with a cabronita I saw elsewhere - I was waiting for the new v3 model sires but the delivery date kept getting pushed back.   So I’ll probably grab a 5 when they arrive.   

Intetesting discussion about using a detuner- I think it would mess with me head to have the low E dropped and have to find other positions to play notes on the other strings - it’s doable but when the gigs are deps where I have to learn tunes quickly and not let anyone down so I get asked back it’s a bit too risky for me.    
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    John_P said:
    I think it would mess with me head to have the low E dropped and have to find other positions to play notes on the other strings.    
    It will to begin with. It does not take very long to get used to it. Then, you realise that one finger across the bottom three strings forms a chord. Wind on some overdrive, instant Sheehan-anigans. 
    Be seeing you.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    I have a Thomann Jazz Bass copy ... bought for about sixty quid B stock a couple of years ago. Pickups were shite ... but I fixed that of course ... the instrument itself is really rather nice. Except for the headstock shape ... which looked like a horse's bell end.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    @TheGuitarWeasel you have much experience of horse bellends?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    @TheGuitarWeasel you have much experience of horse bellends?
    Will I have two male horses ... and they are never shy about dangling them about!
    (Their bell ends ... not Thomann Jazz basses ... hooves tend to preclude dexterity on the bass)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I used to live in the country and a neighbour was big into horses. One of his boys had a tool as long as his legs!