Andrew Scheps - Omni Channel Strip Plug-in (Waves)

What's Hot

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Prices have changed earlier today, so if there was any plug-ins you were thinking of getting have a look as there may be a saving on what you were after.

Unfortunately the Scheps Omni Channel is still $149.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I have Omni because I’m a Mercury owner.
    It is ok but not up there with the best channels out there, imho.

UAD are doing much better stuff, so are a Slate and Brainworx.
    Cheers @octatonic will have a look.  Would prefer to buy them as a one-off if possible and not be tied in to a monthly subscription.
    edited March 2018
    duotone said:
    Cheers @octatonic will have a look.  Would prefer to buy them as a one-off if possible and not be tied in to a monthly subscription.
    Slate still sell permanent licenses, as do Brainworx.
    UAD don't do subscriptions but you do need their DSP hardware- their plugins are on another level, especially the Unison preamps.
    Looked into it a bit more:

Slate Digital
    seems to be geared towards the subscription model.  With individual plugins costing around $200 to buy them outright.  Whereas the yearly subscription for access to ALL plugins (paid in one payment) = $180 or $25 per month with a "pause any-time" feature.

Brainworx also seems to be geared towards the subscription model.  Plugins looks like they need to be purchased via its sister company Plugin-Alliance.  Prices vary from free-$200 to purchase outright.  The other options is to choose any 10 Plugins and pay $29 per month for 29 months = $841. So after almost 2 and a half years you finally own all 10 of them and don't need to pay anymore. 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    I've noticed quite a few Slate virtual mix racks popping up for re-sale on KVR for around $100.

I also picked up the Waves F6 Dynamic Eq the other day for $29 dollars and it is superb.. incredible value at that price. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    edited March 2018
    duotone said:
    Looked into it a bit more:

Slate Digital
    seems to be geared towards the subscription model.  With individual plugins costing around $200 to buy them outright.  Whereas the yearly subscription for access to ALL plugins (paid in one payment) = $180 or $25 per month with a "pause any-time" feature.

Brainworx also seems to be geared towards the subscription model.  Plugins looks like they need to be purchased via its sister company Plugin-Alliance.  Prices vary from free-$200 to purchase outright.  The other options is to choose any 10 Plugins and pay $29 per month for 29 months = $841. So after almost 2 and a half years you finally own all 10 of them and don't need to pay anymore. 

Slate pretty much starte the subscription thing so that is their focus,
    Brainworx have only just started doing their pick n mix subscription.
    They regularly discounted the hell out of their plugins, I've paid about £50 per plug-in for most of them.
    Thanks guys, I will keep an eye out for sales/deals. 

@equalsql It looks like that EQ is still at the $29 price, which seems to be the lowest price the Waves plugins sell for individually.
    duotone said:
    Thanks guys, I will keep an eye out for sales/deals. 

@equalsql It looks like that EQ is still at the $29 price, which seems to be the lowest price the Waves plugins sell for individually.
    Yep @duotone, it's an amazing EQ that arguably gives the FabFilter Pro Q a run for the money. The plugin has also been updated recently and now includes a much wanted real-time frequency analyser. The lack of one in the original F6 was its main cause of criticism by users on its original release.
    edited March 2018
    Just a heads up guys that it's back down from $149 to $49!
    edited March 2018
    Am not going to miss out at this reduced price this time around!
    Cool! Thanks for the heads-up  :) :+1: 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    duotone said:
    Thanks for the heads up. Definitely interesting but I'm still going to pass on this one for now.
    It's not a competition.
    edited March 2018
    Got another 10% off using the YNY23 code at the bottom.

https://audiopluginguy.com/review-scheps-omni-channel-from-waves/
    New 24 Minute video with Andrew Scheps talking through the plug-in as he works on a track.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited April 2018
    I bought it recently.  I think it's decent.

My favourite bit about it is you can insert another Waves plugin in it.  I didn't actually read that about it to begin with, otherwise I'd have probably got it first time around.

Generally I stick Q2 in the insert, and use that to surgically reduce any static resonance(s) going on in the sound.  Then use the rest of the plugin to shape the sound, so the Omni's EQ can be used for the broader shaping without getting distracted by a ringing frequency.

In terms of workflow that's preferable to Slate's VMR for me for a bunch of things.  I do actually think the Slate Blue 76 and Distressor comps sound nicer but the EQ modules can be restrictive meaning you sometimes need to combine multiple.  And if you want to trim in the plugin that takes up the same amount of screen space as any other module.  In general I only use VMR for compression these days and use a different EQ plugin separately.

I don't always use channel strip plugins as sometimes I prefer being able to see if certain plugs are on or off from eyeballing my DAW's mixer.  But for some set and forget kind of sounds a channel strip can be a quick way of getting the sound and I think the Omni plug is worth a look for that scenario, especially if you have a decent amount of other Waves plugs that can go in the insert.

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Got loadsa of Waves plugs....I like them, Omni channel is very cool, you can swap the things various plugs around and then expand them for more features. Im using it a lot lately.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • The $49 is worth it just for the "pre" section on this plugin. I've been using the saturation, hi & low passes and the "thump" buttons and they are quick and easy for luddites like me that want to move quickly.

equalsql said:
    I've noticed quite a few Slate virtual mix racks popping up for re-sale on KVR for around $100.

I also picked up the Waves F6 Dynamic Eq the other day for $29 dollars and it is superb.. incredible value at that price. 
    @equalsql ;
    Noticed today that there is a Q10 available, does it pretty much do the same thing as the F6?  https://www.waves.com/plugins/q10-equalizer