Open Mic free-for-all... tell me your stories of starting out

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    oh I assumed you’d look like a tosspot if you rocked up to one of these with a decked out pedaltrain.

am in Orpington, Kent. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 227
    @ijonty I too am just about to start going to the occasional open mic night but I am very much a beginner so going to try and build my confidence.
    if you can get there, there is a great open mic night at the Coach and Horses pub in Beckenham every Thursday at 8pm.  A really lovely, friendly bunch of people and well worth a visit if it's not too far for you. 
    It's only about 20mins away. Will maybe pop down. Cheers. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Played solo for the first time at an open mic last night - Shocking but I enjoyed it and will be back for more :)

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    I do open mics and folk clubs regularly, albeit I'm over in Gloucestershire.  It's well worth doing and much more nerve inducing than playing in a band.  But very rewarding and worthwhile.  Audiences are invariably very polite and accepting, no matter how well you perform.  It's grass roots music, not professional, and TBH everyone else is going through a similar experience so they know what it's like.
    top tip: don't try anything flashy first (or second) time out.
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    edited March 2018
    Nikc said:
    Played solo for the first time at an open mic last night - Shocking but I enjoyed it and will be back for more

I’ve heard it’s addictive! So what was it like getting up the nerve to step up? Was alcohol required? And how ‘shocking’ were you really? I’ll bet you weren’t anywhere near as bad as you thought.

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited March 2018
    Get in !

Only advice - Book an early slot so (a) you're not angst ridden all evening, and (b) the really good guys (usually later on) don't make you feel inadequate. Make sure you can hear yourself (or just belt it out, it's virtually guaranteed that there will be worse than you).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
     it's virtually guaranteed that there will be worse than you).
    Challenge accepted. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well, I’m sat in the pub right now, building up some nerve to step up to the mic...

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    get in i'm sure you'll be great ;)
    ijonty said:
    Nikc said:
    Played solo for the first time at an open mic last night - Shocking but I enjoyed it and will be back for more

I’ve heard it’s addictive! So what was it like getting up the nerve to step up? Was alcohol required? And how ‘shocking’ were you really? I’ll bet you weren’t anywhere near as bad as you thought.
    I had some nice feedback along the lines of really first time etc.. one lady told me what i'd played was awesome - I'm fairly sure she was on her second white wine (bottle that is) ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Done it. Voice was all over the show, but really enjoyed it. Ready for the next one...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ijonty said:
    Done it. Voice was all over the show, but really enjoyed it. Ready for the next one...
    Way to go feel good - or just need beer  ? ;)
    Nikc said:
    ijonty said:
    Way to go feel good - or just need beer  ? ;)
    Both. Definitely going to do it again. Highly recommended, and not actually as nervy as I expected. 

edited March 2018
    what did you play ?

Nikc said:
    what did you play ?

A Verve track and an acoustic cover of Ice Ice Baby. Yes, really. 

Nice 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    sweet, well done :)
    edited March 2018
    Here it is. Sonnet, and Ice Ice Baby: https://www.facebook.com/newmusiclondon/videos/615422568790772/ Plenty of room for improvement, but you've got to start somewhere, right?

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    Well done!

On a side note .. don't be afraid to turn up with your pedal board. Most of the people there won't have heard a tremolo'd / phased fuzz through lashings of ambient reverb and delay and they need to hear that shit .. besides, don't know the song the other people are playing? that's what the wha wha was invented for.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom