Buying a Cheapy Bass...

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
Seen a bit of this video from Andertons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUd9TBYKXf0

Always fancied me a Bass to noodle on, could one of these be a cheapy candidate?

If I bought one, and kept the volume down, could I play them through a Katana 50 without blowing it up?

Thoughts...?
We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Five strings and slap? What will Bridgehouse say?
    could one of these be a cheapy candidate?
    Those Sire instruments are reputed to be excellent value for money. Certainly as good as the Squier Vintage Modified series - just without the backup of The Big F.

If I bought one, and kept the volume down, could I play them through a Katana 50 without blowing it up?
    Your risk. The loudspeaker(s) in the Katana might not be able to take the excursion required for low notes - especially on the low B. I would get dedicated bass amplification.

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    Five strings and slap? What will Bridgehouse say?
    could one of these be a cheapy candidate?
    Those Sire instruments are reputed to be excellent value for money. Certainly as good as the Squier Vintage Modified series - just without the backup of The Big F.

Your risk. The loudspeaker(s) in the Katana might not be able to take the excursion required for low notes - especially on the low B. I would get dedicated bass amplification.

Thanks - what's a good budget Bass amp?

Is there a range where you get built in FX and so on?
  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    If it's just home use then the Fender Rumble 15's are great value, really impressive sound for the money IMO
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    The Mrs has a Fender Rumble 40, it's a great little thing. Aux in, footswitchable OD channel, decent eq, buttons for a more vintage tone etc. Light as a feather and it was about £240 new.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    I've just mentioned on another post that the Sire V3s should be in Andertons by April and will come in at £243.

As for a bass amp with fx, the Roland Bass Cubes (available in various wattages) are good value. If you don't need an amp but want amp models and fx to play through, look at a Zoom B3 unit.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    We could have a look at some basses tomorrow mate and I'll play a few for you?
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    But you refuse to slap so how will he know it's any good? :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    But you refuse to slap so how will he know it's any good? :D
    I'll slap you in a minute :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks very much that would be fun. :)
    Thanks very much that would be fun. :)
    Ok no problems. Should be there mid afternoon 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    For just playing around at home you can get a great little bass amp for about £100 now (although prices are rising). The Fender Rumble always gets most recommendations but I went for an Ampeg and have been very pleased with it. Orange Crush is another option with a similar range of models.
    I tried a couple of basses and the new rumble studio amp with help from @Bridgehouse in PMT Cambridge yesterday.

Certainly decided I prefer Ibanez' budget range over Squier, that rumble studio was great but maybe a bit over what I'd buy for bass "experiments". 

Was kind of an impressive product though, lots of different options for a home bassist, worth a try for anyone wanting a practise amp, but was £350.
    darthed1981 said:
    what's a good budget Bass amp? Is there a range where you get built in FX and so on?
    If you have computer or tablet device multi-track audio recording software, there will probably be suitable amplifier and effect modelling plug-ins lurking in that. Just add headphones.

Rumble studio was great but maybe a bit over what I'd buy for bass "experiments". 
    You could always investigate pre-owned kit. 

... to noodle on...?
    https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Bass/Stompboxes/SPECTRADRIVE/p/P0D9D

Be seeing you.
    darthed1981 said:
    what's a good budget Bass amp? Is there a range where you get built in FX and so on?
    If you have computer or tablet device multi-track audio recording software, there will probably be suitable amplifier and effect modelling plug-ins lurking in that. Just add headphones.

Rumble studio was great but maybe a bit over what I'd buy for bass "experiments". 
    You could always investigate pre-owned kit. 

... to noodle on...?
    https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Bass/Stompboxes/SPECTRADRIVE/p/P0D9D

So could you put that pedal straight into active speakers?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    At home volume the Katana should be fine, even with a 5-string. I'm pretty sure the Katana has an octaver built-in so it's expected to handle low frequencies.

Use a clean sound, and as long as the speaker isn't sounding obviously stressed it's OK - you'll know about it from the sound if it's likely to be a problem. For home practice it's unlikely you'll be playing at more than a few watts.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

darthed1981 said:
    could you put that pedal straight into active speakers?
    Yes. 

According to the product description, the tc electronic Spectradrive pedal is the equivalent of the pre-amp stage of their BG Series amp heads.

Whether this is a good thing is a matter of opinion. I have had many years' dependable service from a tc Staccato '51 and RS210 rig. This (now discontinued) amplifier pre-dates the Behringer buy-out. 

Generalising horribly, Behringer design ideas are great ... mainly because they are usually somebody else's! :3  The execution is what tends to let the products down. 
    Be seeing you.
  • @darthed1981 ; when I bought my steinberger headless bass I got an amp with it that didn't cost loads and it's absolutely brilliant! I'm not using it much though, so if you're still on the lookout for one by the southern jam I could chuck it in the car for you to have a look at / noodle on

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    If using through Katana keep an eye on which pick ups you get with the bass.. You should be ok with passive pickups (i toured with a guitar amp + passive pickup bass, was fine) but an active pickup bass one will result in smoke from the amp (again, talking from experience) :)
    I am a little tempted by the Fender one, even at £350, simply on the basis that it is really nifty, and got a good review from one of our experienced Bassists on the day.

It was active the Bass I liked, an Ibanez Gio one, nothing flash but it sounded good and played well.
    I am a little tempted by the Fender one, even at £350, simply on the basis that it is really nifty, and got a good review from one of our experienced Bassists on the day.

It was active the Bass I liked, an Ibanez Gio one, nothing flash but it sounded good and played well.
    That fender rumble studio 40 was really good. It sounded great - the modelling was more than usable, and the output good enough for a quiet-ish rehearsal with a drummer. It projected well and it had a nice rounded tone - the majority of the modelled settings used the tone well rather than grating against it. 

However, the knockout features were its size (Having shoe-horned a 10” and a teeeter/horn in there) and it’s insanely light weight. 

Would be a really good home practise and rehearsal amp. I’ve always been really impressed with the Rumble amps and they continue to deliver. As @ESBlonde said - the Studio 40 has an air of Markbass about it without the price tag.