Buying a Cheapy Bass...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    LuttiS said:
    If using through Katana, keep an eye on which pick ups you get with the bass. You should be ok with passive pickups (i toured with a guitar amp + passive pickup bass, was fine) but an active pickup bass one will result in smoke from the amp (again, talking from experience) :)
    If I seemed over cautious earlier, it is because several of my bass guitars have active pickups and I lam into the strings pretty hard.
    It was active, the Bass I liked, an Ibanez Gio one.
    The onboard EQ was active. The pickups would have been passive. 

I am a little tempted by the Fender one, even at £350, simply on the basis that it is really nifty and got a good review from one of our experienced Bassists on the day.
    The problem with low wattage bass guitar amplification is that it is disproportionately expensive, too quiet for full band rehearsal or gigs and, possibly, too loud for domestic noodling. It is what parents buy so that their children can learn an instrument but nobody else has to overhear it. 

The Marshall Bass State combo in Legionreturns 26/03/18 post is based on the feature set of the old Dynamic Bass System series but built from cheaper parts. 

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I am a little tempted by the Fender one, even at £350, simply on the basis that it is really nifty, and got a good review from one of our experienced Bassists on the day.

It was active the Bass I liked, an Ibanez Gio one, nothing flash but it sounded good and played well.
    That fender rumble studio 40 was really good. It sounded great - the modelling was more than usable, and the output good enough for a quiet-ish rehearsal with a drummer. It projected well and it had a nice rounded tone - the majority of the modelled settings used the tone well rather than grating against it. 

However, the knockout features were its size (Having shoe-horned a 10” and a teeeter/horn in there) and it’s insanely light weight. 

Would be a really good home practise and rehearsal amp. I’ve always been really impressed with the Rumble amps and they continue to deliver. As @ESBlonde said - the Studio 40 has an air of Markbass about it without the price tag.
    My son has the Rumble 40. It has been used for a gig with my band and was fine. Bit missing earth shaking lows but certainly audible. I think it cost £120 used. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I am a little tempted by the Fender one, even at £350, simply on the basis that it is really nifty, and got a good review from one of our experienced Bassists on the day.

It was active the Bass I liked, an Ibanez Gio one, nothing flash but it sounded good and played well.
    That fender rumble studio 40 was really good. It sounded great - the modelling was more than usable, and the output good enough for a quiet-ish rehearsal with a drummer. It projected well and it had a nice rounded tone - the majority of the modelled settings used the tone well rather than grating against it. 

However, the knockout features were its size (Having shoe-horned a 10” and a teeeter/horn in there) and it’s insanely light weight. 

Would be a really good home practise and rehearsal amp. I’ve always been really impressed with the Rumble amps and they continue to deliver. As @ESBlonde said - the Studio 40 has an air of Markbass about it without the price tag.
    My son has the Rumble 40. It has been used for a gig with my band and was fine. Bit missing earth shaking lows but certainly audible. I think it cost £120 used. 
    I thought the studio 40 was actually a bit louder than the rumble 40 I have tried before.. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576

I was impressed with the lack of weight the thing had, the amount of volume it could reproduce without farting and the range of sounds available. Add to that the ability to Aux out to a desk/PA and it's even giggable on larger stages with a decent PA. You really could carry it about in one hand without undue fatigue which suggests actual plywood rather than partical board.

Can't vouch for reliability or the abaility to fix it if it breaks, but it's worth looking at if those features appeal to you. I think @Bridgehouse ; may pop on one in the near future, if so a report will be needed back here.
    ESBlonde said:

I was impressed with the lack of weight the thing had, the amount of volume it could reproduce without farting and the range of sounds available. Add to that the ability to Aux out to a desk/PA and it's even giggable on larger stages with a decent PA. You really could carry it about in one hand without undue fatigue which suggests actual plywood rather than partical board.

Can't vouch for reliability or the abaility to fix it if it breaks, but it's worth looking at if those features appeal to you. I think @Bridgehouse ; may pop on one in the near future, if so a report will be needed back here.
    It’s tempting. Basically it was like a really good Preamp pedal (given the XLR balanced ins and outs) with a 40w amp and 10” driver attached in a lightweight package. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    ESBlonde said:

It’s tempting. Basically it was like a really good Preamp pedal (given the XLR balanced ins and outs) with a 40w amp and 10” driver attached in a lightweight package. 
    Would you use it in the studio?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    ESBlonde said:

Would you use it in the studio?
    Possibly - depends on what context. A lot of bass is recorded straight into the desk...
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    @darthed1981 ; when I bought my steinberger headless bass I got an amp with it that didn't cost loads and it's absolutely brilliant! I'm not using it much though, so if you're still on the lookout for one by the southern jam I could chuck it in the car for you to have a look at / noodle on

They amps are great by the way! I had a loan of one for a while and loved the tone. 

My 2p worth regarding playing through a guitar amp. It all depends on what you regard as home volume. For me, that's an extremely low volume. Therefore playing through guitar amps are fine. Maybe roll some of the bass off, but it'll be fine and sound perfectly usable. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    The Rumbles and Bass Cubes look great. Or you could just buy a bass cab for noodling (1x10 should do)