88 key keyboard recommendations

What's Hot
Morning all.

I'm currently looking to upgrade my studio controller keyboard from a 61 key Novation Remote SL61 to an 88 key model.  The Novation is really nice, but I'm using a lot of sample libraries with keyswitches and having to shift octaves is both annoying and disorientates me.  I've mapped the keyswitches to the drumpads and some of the buttons, but not all libraries use the same keyswitches.

Anyway, I'm not *too* bothered about bells and whistles like faders as I have them covered on other units, and I'm not sure whether to go semi-weighted or fully-weighted/graded.  I've only ever used semi-weighted, but I feel that weighted may afford better control over velocity.

What are y'all using?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6146
    I did choose piano-weighted, and I love it. For any patch that's at all dynamically programmed, the fact that piano weighting means you have to put some physical effort in really works for me (like playing a guitar). Somehow easier to do more subtle/controlled playing variations.

I found one of these ludicrously cheap (£120) because sellers won't ship because they're too much hassle to pack and they weigh a ton. It's got 4 MIDI zones, and extra Ins/Outs for studio setup cleverness.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oberheim-Viscount-MC2000-digital-piano-88-key-midi-controller

Downside - it's a fair bit deeper than the modern 88-key controllers.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    If you can get on with their combined bend and modulation lever, try the Roland A-88

Alternatively, there is the Nektar Impact LX88. https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/nektar-impact-lx88
    Sadly, so far, there is no Nektar Panorama *P8*.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BodBod Frets: 1298
    edited March 2018
    Thanks folks.

That Oberheim looks a beast - in a good way!   They've been absent from my searches so will keep my eye out.

I've looked at the Nektar LX88+ but it doesn't have aftertouch which is such a shame because it looks great otherwise.  I do think I'd prefer weighted too.

I've been considering the NI Komplete Kontrol S88 as I also own the Komplete Ultimate suite, but I think there may be a Mk2 on the horizon.  It's also very expensive compared to more modest controllers.

I'll do a bit of research about the A88...
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 840
    edited March 2018
    Very few weighted boards have after touch.  Weighted action is piano based and pianos dont' have after touch.

Personally I use 2 boards, one 88 note weighted for piano/ep tones and things than need expression like pads and strings then a semi weighted (which I prefer over a synth action) with after touch for things that need a fast action like organs and synth leads and stabs 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I think my old Korg N1 had aftertouch with its 88 weighted keys - might be worth keeping an eye out if one comes up locally - should be pretty cheap
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6146
  • lentolento Frets: 116
    Have used a Yamaha KX88 for years. Still the best feel imho - but heavy !