Nokie Edwards (The Ventures). RIP

What's Hot
boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
Just seen Nokie popped his clogs on the 12th March. A great and influential guitarist, he did some acting too, he was in Deadwood. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    boogieman said:
    Just seen Nokie popped his clogs on the 12th March. A great and influential guitarist, he did some acting too, he was in Deadwood. 

Ditto.

The Ventures' Hawaii Five-O was strangely a difficult song for me to learn, despite it being quite short. Still plenty of scope to get better at it. Seems to be a thing with learning surf songs.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418

Nokie Edwards was known as the Ventures' guitarist but started out as their bass player. It was Bob Bogle who played lead on the big hit Walk Don't Run. In about '62 they swapped roles and Edwards played lead while Bogle took over bass. Bogle died about 9 years ago.

Nokie Edwards is yet another big name from the '60s now departed. RIP.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    I have to admit that I did not know who Nookie Edwards was until I saw the Fender Signature, some years ago

I At the time I was aware of Ventures, in a low key sort of way -  But I dare say in the UK we were hit with The Shadows and less so the Ventures, so a small blip on the radar as such - But once I found out about them I have to say I much prefer their instrumental approach to that of Hank and Co

Another influence from the 60's now gone - RIP
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    I have to admit that I did not know who Nookie Edwards was until I saw the Fender Signature, some years ago

I At the time I was aware of Ventures, in a low key sort of way -  But I dare say in the UK we were hit with The Shadows and less so the Ventures, so a small blip on the radar as such - But once I found out about them I have to say I much prefer their instrumental approach to that of Hank and Co

Yup, not so well known as the Shads over here, although I think most people would know Walk Don’t Run if they heard it. I only discovered The Ventures in the 80s via listening to Dick Dale and somebody saying, if you like that kind of stuff you should listen to this band. Many years back I was in a band that did a few of their numbers: like Shadows songs they sound deceptively simple but they’re hard to play well. I just about got “in the ballpark” and could never play like Bob and Nokie. 
    tFB Trader
    boogieman said:

Yup, not so well known as the Shads over here, although I think most people would know Walk Don’t Run if they heard it. I only discovered The Ventures in the 80s via listening to Dick Dale and somebody saying, if you like that kind of stuff you should listen to this band. Many years back I was in a band that did a few of their numbers: like Shadows songs they sound deceptively simple but they’re hard to play well. I just about got “in the ballpark” and could never play like Bob and Nokie. 

I agree about the simplicity is deceptive, but I think you don't have to nail it to perfection but allow you to interpret it as you see fit, but still ensure it flows correctly -  slightly off topic but since you mentioned D Dale - check this out

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Wow! Thanks @guitars4you ! Never seen that before. DD’s hair!!!  :o  =)

tFB Trader
    boogieman said:
    Wow! Thanks @guitars4you ! Never seen that before. DD’s hair!!!  :o  =)

tell me about it

I still like the way SRV owns the song in his style but clearly stays true to the original regarding melody - IMO shows how can you make a classic song your own
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom