ORIGIN FX...OVERDRIVE

What's Hot

Comments

• Yes sir I've got one coming with all the trimmings. I played a prototype a year ago which put me in a heavy depression upon realising afterwards that I wouldn't be able to have one for months. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7143
    Yes sir I've got one coming with all the trimmings. I played a prototype a year ago which put me in a heavy depression upon realising afterwards that I wouldn't be able to have one for months. 
    with all the trimmings? blimey, that must be what, £700 ish? that'll feel a pretty special delivery day... you could buy a tasy amp with that, just for over driving :D
  • HPhillipsmusicHPhillipsmusic Frets: 188
    edited March 2018
    Yes sir I've got one coming with all the trimmings. I played a prototype a year ago which put me in a heavy depression upon realising afterwards that I wouldn't be able to have one for months. 
    with all the trimmings? blimey, that must be what, £700 ish? that'll feel a pretty special delivery day... you could buy a tasy amp with that, just for over driving D
    Thankfully not that much, I'm a broke musician! Either way, the argument of 'its just supposed to sound like an overdriven amp, hardly worth x amount' is so silly. We're guitar players, since when did we need to justify gear purchases? I have a mexican strat that I can play to the best of my ability, a custom shop wouldn't improve my playing but I'd sure as heck have one if I could afford it.
    The RevivalDrive will sell very well, and for those that can't justify the price, life goes on without change. For those who do decide to buy one, there is something very special about it, that I can't quite put my finger on, but it's enough for me to sell a bunch of drive pedals in order to make way for one. 
  • Be interested to see whether it does high gain - I mean metal territory - or just a low gainer. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    with all the trimmings? blimey, that must be what, £700 ish? that'll feel a pretty special delivery day... you could buy a tasy amp with that, just for over driving D
    Thankfully not that much, I'm a broke musician! Either way, the argument of 'its just supposed to sound like an overdriven amp, hardly worth x amount' is so silly. We're guitar players, since when did we need to justify gear purchases? I have a mexican strat that I can play to the best of my ability, a custom shop wouldn't improve my playing but I'd sure as heck have one if I could afford it.
    The RevivalDrive will sell very well, and for those that can't justify the price, life goes on without change. For those who do decide to buy one, there is something very special about it, that I can't quite put my finger on, but it's enough for me to sell a bunch of drive pedals in order to make way for one. 
    it wasn't a dig btw; a cursory glance at my pedal selection would render me a hypocrite if nothing else! (large, wood-paneled analog delay for one) and I have no doubt that this will sound very impressive - really taken with my recently purchased Cali76CD and have every confidence I would be with this too - I was merely stating that I personally would have real difficulty getting to £500 on an overdrive. Im sure as you say, it'll sell in numbers and be seen on a lot of pro boards very soon. 
    ...not to mention That Pedal Show, who will inevitably lose their collective shits over it! 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No dig taken sir! Yeah we're all hypocrites, I'll change strings every couple of weeks at great expense but refuse to buy a new pair of £40 shoes until they're literally falling off my feet! 

The best thing about the RevivalDrive from my early experiences with it is that it covers SO much ground. Not to mention the additional footswitch which will 'dime' the overdrive to full drive, and the mid hump boost which can be set to crazy detail. Within about 15 minutes I had gone through a Klon sound, clean boost, Tubescreamer, tweed sound, plexi tone, all the way through to almost fuzz territory with that left hand side. Not to even mention the 'ghost' knob, which is UNREAL. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Should I sell my cali76 CD and Hamstead Odyssey as a down payment towards this? My new redplate amp doesn’t need them and I wonder whether this is necessary. Perhaps I should just go with a Kingsley Constable as a third drive option. 
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    lukedlb said:
    Should I sell my cali76 CD and Hamstead Odyssey as a down payment towards this? My new redplate amp doesn’t need them and I wonder whether this is necessary. Perhaps I should just go with a Kingsley Constable as a third drive option. 
    That's probably the most 1st world guitar problem I've read in a while. I like it. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BBBlues said:
    lukedlb said:
    That's probably the most 1st world guitar problem I've read in a while. I like it. 
    Well and truly ashamed. I shall do penitence this Easter by playing a hello kitty guitar with aforementioned equipment. 
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    Well I’ve happily placed my order in as well.

Reasons include how OE got it so right with the Cali76, straight from the off.

This pedal  has had three years RnD... 

the clip of the Allman bros demo was enough (for me )

it looks like.... quality ( as well as being  hand made in England )

and finally the controls look genuinely interesting / relevant / inspiring

It certainly sounds the part in the two vids I’ve seen. 
  • Err dunno?
    I own a Cali76CD and it’s quite frankly impossible to say how great it is.  I tried a Keeley pro and the Cali is so much better (1000x better than the boss it replaced)
    As for the overdrive I would love to try it, then make a decision.
    More videos are available. Has anyone received theirs yet?
    I just noticed on the origin effects site that deliveries are expected for end of the month. The new videos are tempting. I guess the question is whether or not you could get a real amp (used) for that price that can pull of the same tricks.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Well I’ve happily placed my order in as well.

Reasons include how OE got it so right with the Cali76, straight from the off.

This pedal  has had three years RnD... 

the clip of the Allman bros demo was enough (for me )

it looks like.... quality ( as well as being  hand made in England )

and finally the controls look genuinely interesting / relevant / inspiring

I too have ordered one. Don’t really need but it sounds soooo good. And I’ve sold some pedals and the floor is looking rather bare...
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    JohnPerry said:
    so who's ordered one then? - someone here definitely will have

calling dibs on Waz's
    Ha !

Sadly, and I mean sadly, my pedal buying days are possibly drawing to a close... and this is a very good pedal im sure, but man this is a LOT of scratch for a pedal.

At over £500, it looks mighty expensive next to a Helix or my awesome £1200 Redplate amp...

Yep, Ill probably order one...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Can’t deny that the videos sound great 
  • ClassicClassic Frets: 40
    I can see a lot of people buying this pedal and quickly trading it as it doesn’t appear to have a lot of gain on tap.

looks to target the low gain plexi/JTM/Tweed/Deluxe type amp tones. It’s all very clean sounding. May be more of a pedal platform? I’m hoping Origin are working on something more JCM or higher.

the DI functionality is cool but no use for it in the current form factor.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    Depends on your definition of clean. Have you seen Lance Keltner's demo?

Origin aren't working on a higher gain version. There may be a bass version next.