Left hand is slow as f*uck

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    @DLM yeah I did (thank you @mixolyd), I actually managed to catch it before I posted here. Part of me fights against what he's saying though as it doesn't seem right not to perfect it slowly. However, I've found that it is almost easier to play things faster, but it just sounds a bit messy and unwieldy sometimes - so what he's saying makes sense. That guy comes across as really cocky doesn't he! Good job his chops match up! :-)
    You’re welcome.  My take on it is:

1. learn very slow so your fingers know what they are trying to do
    2. Go very fast and then progressively faster over time in order to learn the technique for playing fast, after doing this for a while
    3. Go back and play it slow but using the technique from 2.  This is where you perfect it.

Most of us are skipping step 2. with the result that we never realise that playing fast is actually usually pretty easy and that there are sometimes entirely different techniques necessary for playing fast (mini barres, sweeping, moving several fingers as one wave etc).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited March 2018
    Also: chunking combines well with speed practice.

https://i.imgur.com/ygIydRn.jpg

From The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @mixolyd That's super cool! It also matches up with a lot of stuff I've picked up over the years.

I didn't think Martin was cocky, but then I'm really familiar with how Germans behave. They don't see any need to play down their abilities, and others don't expect it, either. He's a highly qualified master of the instrument. He has the paper, the experience and the references to prove it. Of course he can play. He knows it, we know it. I think Brits are different, more self-effacing. I have had to change how I communicate, otherwise people actually get angry at me for playing myself down. Still feels odd to me. (I'm talking more about my professional life than my guitar playing, I'd love to get closer to what Martin can do.)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited April 2018
    It's important to eliminate any tension from your left hand (and anywhere else in the body) if you want to get up to high speeds

This is a great exercise for identifying and correcting tension points and learning to control the different parts of your hand independently from each other:

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-102-MinimumMovement.php