Cry baby (and Octavix)

What's Hot
TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
edited April 2018 in FX
Back from Tenerife to find an ehx Octavix in the post, very brash but I’ll fiddle and find something that works.

popped onto gumtree and found a chap with a Dunlop wah that I got for £40 with a few sweeteners so that’s two new toys. Plus a solder sucker for trying to save a voodoo octave if anyone remembers my thread a week or so ago...

anyhow, couple of questions with regards to the wah especially when used with the Octavix.

on clean the wah sounds as I expected (although shifts the tone a lot, loses a lot of body). With the Octavix in the mix though (after the wah chain order wise) there is extremely little effect from the Dunlop. The dirty channel on the amp works a bit better but still doesn’t sound ‘right’ wah spectrum wise. It sounds more ‘on/off’ if that makes sense.

is this normal? The first riff predictably tried was voodoo child and the sound is light years off. Not enough wah wah.

The pedal is about 15 years old, does it need a mod/new pot or something?

ive got a tube screamer in the post so that may help.. (?)

thankingyouallinadvance

Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Yeah, I've had the same experience with my Dunlop wah when running it into various fuzzes, much more pronounced when used with overdrive pedals. I'm not a heavy wah user so I haven't bothered to look for a solution. You could try the wah after the fuzz if you haven't already?

If you don't know - Hendrix had his guitar volume rolled right down on the the Voodoo Chile intro which cleans up the sound massively with a Fuzz Face type fuzz and probably accentuates the wah effect.
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    Cool thanks, yes I’ve since discovered the wah works much better with lower levels of overdrive. Presuming the tube screamer works better than my on board channel I’ll just run that after the wah and before the fuzz. I think the pot is a tad dusty though.

If I open it up and just blast it with contact cleaner and compressed air should that help or would that be another foot shooting routine?
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Can't see contact cleaner or compressed air doing any harm. If it's dirty you will hear a bit of crackle when using it, if there is no crackle and the signal sounds good it probably doesn't need a clean. My Dunlop wah is about 27 years old and is still on its original pot so they do last.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom