Helix Lt. versus Headrush

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• fnptfnpt Frets: 744
    FWIW, I've tried the Native too and didn't like it. Too much strain on my iMac and it may have been my ears, but it didn't sound as good. I love the LT though (soundwise).
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited December 2017
    With Native you have to pay attention to the input meter.  If you're running too hot (I think peaking above -12, it is colour coded) then it'll potentially sound worse than it should.

The only other factor between it and the hardware will be the quality of your DI signal chain.  Otherwise my understanding is they sound the same, however I have not tried a hardware unit (only spoken to people who have used both).
  • WildWayzWildWayz Frets: 90
    edited December 2017
    I went and did it... ordered the Helix LT. At £715 I couldn't pass it up. Also ordered a Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers (PAIR) - which both of them, and cables was still cheaper than the Headrush.

In life, i've ALWAYS gone for the 'underdog' ie Headrush - and got burnt... so this time, I am sticking with the big guns. 

I never went for the Full Fat Helix as it was £285 more for additional inputs I wouldn't use and scribble strips... I am a bedroom player

Now... do I keep my pedals? I have: TC Electronics Polytune 2 Mini, TC MojoMojo, TC Dark Matter, Boss NS-2, Boss GE-7, 
    Tone City Comp Engine, Tone City Tape Delay, JOYO JF-316 Future Chorus - think that is it...
    Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    keep your pedals just for now, but if you're a home only player you might end up flogging 'em down the line...maybe soon, Get your Helix first and have a play around before you jump...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I looked at all kinds of comparisons online, finally decided to order both through Guitar Center. I'm in the States, and there is a location in my town, so I decided I have 45 days to test them and see which I like best.  I got them both Thursday, but only had a little time to play so far.  I WANT to like the Headrush more.  I have to admit - I like the look of the panel.  And there are some really good sounds built in. That said, my initial impression was that the Helix LT was easier to navigate (maybe because I have had several Line 6 boards in the past), and it seemed easier for me to find usable tones quicker.  Now, maybe that will change if I set up my own patches. I have a vacation next week and going to load them both with same IRs and sound test them.  Both sound great, and the graphic layout on the Headrush is beautiful.  I was going to say "makes sense", but it's not hard to navigate the home screen on the patches on the Helix either really.  Again, I really WANT to like the Headrush, but if I had to decide today i would keep the Helix.  It also occurred to me as my dog was preparing to walk across one of the boards yesterday that although the touchscreen is "cool", it is also more problematic if it cracks, and probably more prone to failure.  Still going to play with them for a few weeks and will give an update, but so far it's the Helix LT.  Oh, and both were Floor models, so I got about a 25-30% discount. $50 (US) less for the Headrush.  That said, I do own 2 variaxes.  if all things were equal, I would give the extra $50 for the variax capability.  If the Headrush sounded better or had other better qualities, I'd lean to that. 
    We shall see.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom