COMPOSITION CHALLENGE #22

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
edited April 2018 in Making Music
Time for round #22 of the Fretboard Composition Challenge, courtesy of me and @TTony

Every few months there'll be a composition challenge. It revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing or covering songs based on a set of rules or guidelines laid out for that particular challenge.

No prizes for this challenge. It's just for fun, a spur to creating, sharing, discussing music/recording and learning. Plus a way of testing the water with your creations and getting some feedback.

GUIDELINES -THEME

For this challenge, entrants need to decide on their own theme and reflect that theme in the title of their composition. Your theme/title could be something straightforward such as "Disco Rock" or you might choose to go for something off-the-wall, such as "Music For Squawking Seagulls" (which was the first thing that came into my head because I hear them a lot now we've moved to Exmouth). 

Give free rein to you imagination. People will vote as they wish but you might win more votes (for example from me) for a whacky theme/title that is reflected in your composition, especially if it's funny.

Picture: In addition to the music, try to create your own picture that relates to your selected theme/title. This isn't mandatory but, as a small incentive, those that provide a picture will be awarded a free point to add to their voting score. Note the picture can be anything from a hand drawn sketch, photo, photo edit or something generated in a graphics package.

We'll try the above approach to the theme in the hope of encouraging more entries, because some seem to struggle with a set theme. If it works out, we'll stick with this approach. It also saves me the effort or trying to come up with a theme that people can work with.

DATES AND VOTING

Fretboard Challenge #22 starts NOW! - Submission deadline -  Midnight 31st May 2018

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

The entry with the most points wins.

Voting ends 11.30pm 14th June 2018

The order and scores of the three people with the most votes will be announced soon after the voting ends.

SUBMISSION DETAILS

All recordings and pictures need to be sent via email to Compositions@theFB.co.uk

Songs to be submitted in mp3 format.
Pictures to be in jpg or png format.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Interesting .... seagulls .. a flock of ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    Just a quick reminder of the Composition challenge. There's plenty of time to go, but the Easter bank holiday might offer free time for some. I'm retired, so everyday's a holiday - well it would be, but the missus usually has plans for me.

It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    @stratman3142 @TTony do you mind if I misappropriate the fretboard logo into my image? 
    @stratman3142 @TTony do you mind if I misappropriate the fretboard logo into my image? 
    Best to check with @TTony about that one.

You can identify the font. Search for 'identify font' in Google and you'll find a website that does it, which I once did. I'm away from home at the moment but I could tell you the font when I get back tomorrow.

It's not a competition.
    edited April 2018
    Cheers @stratman3142 I shall wait for his reply.  FWIW I was planning to use the forum header within the image. All would make sense when you see the picture and hear the track.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    Go for it @flying_pie ;
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Go for it @flying_pie ;
    :)
    Thanks. I'll pm you
    Cheers @stratman3142 I shall wait for his reply.  FWIW I was planning to use the forum header within the image. All would make sense when you see the picture and hear the track.

Just for info, when I wanted to create a picture using 'theFretboard' logo text I found that a font called Dessau Medium was a good match.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've noticed that we've not heard much from @steamabacus recently. Hopefully everything is OK.

It's not a competition.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    I'm still here! :)

I missed the last round of 'of the Month' rehearsing for, playing and then recovering from my first gig in 10 years.
    I'm still here! :)

I missed the last round of 'of the Month' rehearsing for, playing and then recovering from my first gig in 10 years.
    Good to hear from you. I missed your contributions to the challenges.

Hope the gig went well. I need to get back into gigging.
    It's not a competition.
    edited April 2018
    Just a bump as a reminder of the Composition Challenge. There's still about 6 weeks to go but it takes me ages to play with ideas and settle on something, so I'm going to force myself to make a start this week.

It's not a competition.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I'm going to have an entry ready in a week or so.  For once I'm ahead of schedule.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

I recorded mine a few weeks ago - the idea/melody came instantly and involved much lower production demands than the last one. I've just taken a break to let my ears reset before checking the mix one last time. Should be with you later this week. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654

Hopefully I’ll get chance to do this one as I’ve not entered in ages, though thinking up my own theme rather than writing a song then fitting the theme to that, will be tricky. Therefore in true Citizen Kane style, I shall make my statement of principles now and hopefully I’ll be able to come up with something that fits it.

I’m a huge White Stripes fan, and Jack White has long regarded the number 3 as an important number, especially in the minimalist stakes – a chair needs three legs to stand up, triangles are a strong shape, songs need tune chords and rhythm etc etc. So my theme will hopefully be around the number three:
    - Three tracks on Cubase - one track for drum machine, not sure if mono or stereo (as that may be cheating?). One track for instruments, probably guitar and keys at relevant parts in the song. One track for vocals.
    - Will be in three time, simple triple time, 3/4, whatever you want to call it. Never written a song in three, only classical.
    - If I can make it last three minutes exactly, even better (Will work it out with bpm etc).
    - I might try to use only three chords, but it won’t be a 12 bar blues don’t worry!

I’ll be glad if I gain three points in total though…

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    I love the idea of 3 and White Stripes @thecolourbox looking forward to hearing it. 
    Sent. Couldn't be arsed tweaking sliders any more so have just committed to hitting that send button. 

I have literally recorded My Own Theme.

It's the theme tune for my soon to air on BBC prime time guitar-based chat and family light entertainment show - The Flying Pie Show. The considerable budget enabled a commission for Green Day to record it but they were unable to do it due to touring comments so I did it myself instead... 

I've only mentioned seagulls once and there's no singing in German this time. All recorded through a Boss GT 100 into Reaper and the artwork was made using free to use images and Logopit plus app on my phone.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    I love the idea of 3 and White Stripes @thecolourbox looking forward to hearing it. 
    It won't sound like White Stripes though :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Sent. 

OK that's the first one in. Unlike the other challenges I won't be posting the entries until after the deadline on 31st May.

I thought I might stick with my original 'off the top of my head' theme mentioned in the OP, so I'm off to try and record some Seagulls. But that idea for a theme might change if I get stuck and inspiration doesn't strike.

It's not a competition.
    stratman3142 said:

I thought I might stick with my original 'off the top of my head' theme mentioned in the OP, so I'm off to try and record some Seagulls. But that idea for a theme might change if I get stuck and inspiration doesn't strike.

I hope the seagulls provide sufficient inspiration. That sounds like a great idea.