Ibanez Blazer

What's Hot
pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
Anybody here got experience/opinion of a Blazer bass (especially the P-style)?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Yes but not for decades. IIRC, nice to play. Let down by cheap machineheads.

The ones with a big single coil pickup are prone to RF interference and hum. I cannot remember what aftermarket replacement pickups will fit into the existing rout.
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Anybody here got experience/opinion of a Blazer bass (especially the P-style)?
    Scroll down... :)

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/128840/psycho-guitar-salesmen/p1

The ones with a big single coil pickup are prone to RF interference and hum. I cannot remember what aftermarket replacement pickups will fit into the existing rout.
    None, as far as I know.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Probably a job for an EMG-35 sized soapbar pickup and a custom made pickguard.
    Be seeing you.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    They're good basses. Weight might be less predictable than most P basses though. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    @ICBM I assume they meet with your approval?

Thanks for the comments guys. There's on one Gumtree about 100 miles away, not far from my sister's that I may call see when I am her way in a few weeks. If it's still for sale.
    Yes, typical Japanese 1980s quality. Not faultless - as Funkfingers said the machineheads aren't great, and the electrics (jacks especially) can be a bit crap, but nothing some sensible upgrades won't fix if you want.

The big problem with the non-P-Bass pickup ones is also as Funkfingers said - the original pickup is a unique size and can't be replaced without fairly major work. The same applies to the Aria SB series and various other Matsumoku basses.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

The one my eyes are on costs less than half of what @hassleham paid in his horror story that @ICBM posted above.

I assume there will be no need to upgrade the pups, just concentrate on the tuners?
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 598
    That’s a bargain! Better send your sister over to get it tomorrow cos it’ll sell quickly :) it’s been up a week so it might even be gone already! 
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 598
    I’m afraid as a guitarist (not a bassist) I don’t really feel qualified to answer your questions.
    The pickup sounds decent to me, can’t comment on tuning stability yes as I haven’t really played it enough.
    £140 for anything branded Ibanez from the 80s is a good price though, in my opinion :)
    hassleham said:

£140 for anything branded Ibanez from the 80s is a good price though, in my opinion :)
    Very much. I see them as being equivalent quality to 80s Fender Japan, and those go for around £500, or even more now.

hassleham said:
    £140
    Grab it first. Ask customising questions later. As long as there are no great chunks knocked out of it, you should be fine. 

The stock tuners will be fine for a home recordist / songwriter type person. For stage use, an upgrade would be advisable. If you are willing to spend money, upgrading an instrument like this, an argument could be made for a Hipshot Ultralites and a D-Tuner for the E string.
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited April 2018
    I played one of these when they first came out (there is tragic photographic evidence) and I'd grab it sharpish for that price...

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    ICBM said:
    Yes, typical Japanese 1980s quality. Not faultless - as Funkfingers said the machineheads aren't great, and the electrics (jacks especially) can be a bit crap, but nothing some sensible upgrades won't fix if you want.

The big problem with the non-P-Bass pickup ones is also as Funkfingers said - the original pickup is a unique size and can't be replaced without fairly major work. The same applies to the Aria SB series and various other Matsumoku basses.
    Ooooooh I hate to disagree there, but I'm going to have too :D 

In my sb It was fitted with a Kent Armstrong and although slightly smaller it fitted lovely, and didn't need any work :) 
    The seller has not responded to my Gumtree message sent on Monday. Tonight (Thurs) I phoned his mobile a couple of times and the line went dead. Hasn't answered SMS. 

I assume it's sold and he is just too ignorant to actually say or remove his advert.
    Vendor could be on holiday this week.

Equally, the vendor could be occupied with full-time child minding over the school holiday period.
    Be seeing you.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
    the supergrass bass player played one ,there's  loads of live clips and videos on you tube
    hope vendor gets back to you sounds a bargain
    Just got word this morning that it sold last week. Must be one of those guys that just let's hos ads expire instead of removing them
    Going to view a Roadster on Friday if it's still available. Looks like a Rs800 or Rs900
    @HarrySeven may still have a few Eighties Matsumoku bass guitars available. (It is easy to lose track.) 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    @HarrySeven may still have a few Eighties Matsumoku bass guitars available. (It is easy to lose track.) 
    Have a Wiz.

Actually, I may know sineone selling a Roadstar.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/