Buffered pedal instead of treble bleed cap?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
I like to retain treble when I turn down the volume pot on my strat, so I've got a treble bleed on it. I've heard it mentioned a few times on Youtube that you don't need a treble bleed if you leave a buffered drive pedal on - you still retain treble when rolling down. Is this really true? Can somebody explain it and any considerations? Thanks in advance.
 @ICBM ; 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    I think you'd need a buffer inside the guitar - it's the long run from guitar to pedalboard where the treble loss occurs, and you need to buffer before it, not after.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Lebarque said:
    I like to retain treble when I turn down the volume pot on my strat, so I've got a treble bleed on it. I've heard it mentioned a few times on Youtube that you don't need a treble bleed if you leave a buffered drive pedal on - you still retain treble when rolling down. Is this really true?
    No.

This is...
    Sporky said:
    I think you'd need a buffer inside the guitar - it's the long run from guitar to pedalboard where the treble loss occurs, and you need to buffer before it, not after.
    By the way, what you have on the volume pot is a treble *pass* cap. Treble *bleed* is what the cable does.

I know, standard term, fighting a losing battle etc etc :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    You can have a buffered cable where the Preamp is within the first 8 inchs of cable if you don't want an active guitar 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    @icbm @sporky ; Check out 43:10, then 44:30. They talk about unloading the pickups, similar to rolling off the volume with a germanium fuzz.

What do they say?

If they're claiming that having a buffer after 3-5m of cable is a good as having it in the guitar then they are wrong. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Sporky said:
    What do they say?

If they're claiming that having a buffer after 3-5m of cable is a good as having it in the guitar then they are wrong. 
    How does it work with germ fuzzes that defo retain the high end then?
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    I have an active volume pedal as the first pedal on my board  (Hotone Sole Press) and if I roll off volume with that instead of the pot on the guitar, it definitely retains more treble. No idea why or how, but there is an audible difference and my hearing isn't the best. 
    edited April 2018
    The volume pedal will have a buffer first, then the volume bit (which might actually just be passive - I do not know) , so the impedance presented to the guitar doesn't change as you wiggle the pedal.

Turning the volume pot does change the impedance structure with the cable, so you still get treble less even though there's a buffer straight after the cable.

No idea on the germanium fuzz thing; it's have to look into that. Fuses do some of things though because of the simplicity of the circuit and the interaction with the guitar end.