Clare_Bear's smiley happy thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Sprog one got an offer from her preferred uni.

Just got to pass her A levels, some other stuff and she's there.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Had a really nice pair of lambskin gloves, made by Nursey of Bungay (makers of sheepskin goods since the 1700s). Lost one on Monday (well, realised it was gone on Tuesday morning, figured it must be in the hallway at home, on my driveway, in the car, or on the street near the chippy). By Tuesday evening had concluded it was not in my property or my car so I wasn't likely to get it back: ordered another pair from Nursey's website. Thursday morning new pair arrived in the post but too small as I'd not used the size guide properly, so emailed Nursey saying I'd send small gloves back and could I exchange for medium please. Thursday evening was driving slowly past chippy and noticed something black on the doorstep of a house 2 down from the chippy. Stopped to investigate, turned out to be my glove, rather wet & a bit mucky but otherwise in one piece. Took it home to dry off overnight and although you can tell the lambskin has suffered a bit the gloves are still wearable so wore them this morning. At work, the mailman has just brought me another package from Nursey containing gloves of the right size. And I haven't even returned the others yet.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited February 2018
    I was/ am a bit self-conscious of sharing this but it's a smiley story and this is the thread for smiley stories.  It's something my son Cameron did on Sunday morning.  He's 25 and he's leaving the UK soon.
    When he was little he loved bus books.
    Geeky bus books with lists of serial numbers in the back which he'd memorise... his teachers wondered for a while if he was on the autistic spectrum. And he loved travelling on buses with his Nan. It was their special thing.

When he first became a bus driver one of his friends asked Cam if his autistic brother could look at the buses in the garage but as Cam was new he didn't feel he could organise it. A bit like Cam the lad was really into buses and his favourite day out is a visit to the London Transport Museum.

Cam didn't forget and realised that he hasn't got long at the garage before he leaves for America. On Sunday morning he took Mark (not his real name), he's 21, around the garage. Cleared it with the bosses and went in on his day off.

So he started with giving Mark a uniform, and a special driver's badge with his favourite number.
    Got him to do some paperwork...cos proper bus drivers have to do paperwork :-)

Then they went to look at the buses.  And in the depot just happened to be Spirit of London -- which meant nothing to me but to a bus geek it's really special as it was rebuilt after the 7/7 bomb attacks. It was absolutely filthy so Cam took Mark on board, fired it up, and took them through the giant bus washer!

Finished off with giving Mark a load of stickers and signs and memorabilia. Cam said Mark doesn't say much but his response to did you enjoy the morning was, "Better than the Transport Museum."
    Which isn't bad.
    0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Colleague at work told me he had an old laptop that he no longer had a use for, its batteries are knacked but it runs OK on mains juice, and there's no OS on the disk. He brought it in today.

He downloaded a 32bit Ubuntu ISO and made me a bootable USB stick with it, so then I installed Ubuntu, persuaded Firefox to see the interweb, loaded the filestore tree of my latest s/w project from the company's server - and compiled it once I'd done an apt-get update and an apt-get install uuid-dev. Also got a nice pic of Sharon Corr for the wallpaper :)

I'm almost sorted for doing some software at home =)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Grunfeld said:
    I was/ am a bit self-conscious of sharing this but it's a smiley story and this is the thread for smiley stories.  It's something my son Cameron did on Sunday morning.  He's 25 and he's leaving the UK soon.
    When he was little he loved bus books.
    Geeky bus books with lists of serial numbers in the back which he'd memorise... his teachers wondered for a while if he was on the autistic spectrum. And he loved travelling on buses with his Nan. It was their special thing.

When he first became a bus driver one of his friends asked Cam if his autistic brother could look at the buses in the garage but as Cam was new he didn't feel he could organise it. A bit like Cam the lad was really into buses and his favourite day out is a visit to the London Transport Museum.

Cam didn't forget and realised that he hasn't got long at the garage before he leaves for America. On Sunday morning he took Mark (not his real name), he's 21, around the garage. Cleared it with the bosses and went in on his day off.

So he started with giving Mark a uniform, and a special driver's badge with his favourite number.
    Got him to do some paperwork...cos proper bus drivers have to do paperwork :-)

Then they went to look at the buses.  And in the depot just happened to be Spirit of London -- which meant nothing to me but to a bus geek it's really special as it was rebuilt after the 7/7 bomb attacks. It was absolutely filthy so Cam took Mark on board, fired it up, and took them through the giant bus washer!

Finished off with giving Mark a load of stickers and signs and memorabilia. Cam said Mark doesn't say much but his response to did you enjoy the morning was, "Better than the Transport Museum."
    Which isn't bad.
    What a great story !   :)
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    @Grunfeld said:
    Which isn't bad.
    Excellent story. You must have done something right! ;)
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Just got my 1st kyu (full brown belt) in karate.

Even more impressive given that I knackered my right ankle again about 3 weeks ago and so standing still hurts, never mind all the fancy stuff I had to do tonight.  So lets hear it for painkillers!
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    @Grunfeld That story made me so happy :)

As for me... nothing much to share, just that it's been a nice day with lovely weather, I got the windows open and loads of fresh air in, played some guitar (stuff I wanted to play rather than stuff I needed to, for the first time in a while) and have just had a nice dinner and a big glass of wine. Now I'm gonna switch the Xbox on and play Forza Motorsport for a little while. Smiles all round :)
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • So, I'm hoping to get back to playing a bit, and upon checking in here (first rung on the getting back to guitar ladder!), I find "my" smiley thread still alive! That has made me smile! That and the wonderful story from @Grunfeld - great job raising a superb young man. 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26746
    So, I'm hoping to get back to playing a bit, and upon checking in here (first rung on the getting back to guitar ladder!), I find "my" smiley thread still alive! That has made me smile! That and the wonderful story from @Grunfeld - great job raising a superb young man. 
    Hello!!

Long time no see!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • So, I'm hoping to get back to playing a bit, and upon checking in here (first rung on the getting back to guitar ladder!), I find "my" smiley thread still alive! That has made me smile! That and the wonderful story from @Grunfeld - great job raising a superb young man. 
    Hello!!

Long time no see!
    Indeed! Hopefully I can find time to stick around.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Now that's a blast from the past, welcome back.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    Now that's a blast from the past, welcome back.
    You're making me feel old  ;)
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    After almost 6 months I've finally got an appointment for counselling. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    There's a new DAMNED album out today. A rare occasion indeed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    speshul91 said:
    Good news mate and the very best of luck with it.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    So, I'm hoping to get back to playing a bit, and upon checking in here (first rung on the getting back to guitar ladder!), I find "my" smiley thread still alive! That has made me smile! That and the wonderful story from @Grunfeld - great job raising a superb young man. 
    Wow, is that really you?!  Welcome back!!

I trust you and the rest of the bear family are all well?

• SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Ms Bear! Grand to see you. Your legacy is powerful. :)

My happy post is perhaps a little bittersweet; my dear old mum made it out of hospital and into the hospice yesterday but was a bit tuckered out for visitors. Went to see her today and the place is lovely; much quieter and more restful, and she's in clothes rather than a horrible hospital gown. Still not long for this world but a lot more dignified. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    edited April 2018
    Well, blow me down! Welcome back, @clare_bear ; :)

My smiley, happy moment today is that the doc actually has a concrete plan for fixing my insomnia. Sure, it involves a month of constant sleeping tablet use, but...I'm willing to give it a shot, because at least he seems interested in solving the problem rather than getting me off the appointment list.
    <space for hire>
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Deadman said:
    speshul91 said:
    Good news mate and the very best of luck with it.
    Thanks man, it's going to be a long and bumpy road to travel.