SteveF's Pedal Building Journey

What's Hot
So I thought I would stop hijacking @philtre 's thread and start my own for my pedal building stuff.  

I got some stuff together over the last couple of days and I'm ready to get started.  I've gone down a slightly different route from Phil and started off with a couple of PCB kits from FuzzDog.  To get my soldering hand back in, since I haven't soldered anything more than a pickup swap in years, I thought I'd start with something very simple, so I have knocked up a little tester to allow me to power, switch and get a signal in and out of builds.  

And here it is: 

I forgotten just how fiddly soldering small parts on a PCB could be.  The strip connector at the front is for connecting ribbon cable from FuzzDog direct connect compatible kits, whereas I can use the blue terminals to attach wires from other builds.  The obvious downside of this setup compared to Phil's breadboard system is that there's no pots, so I either have to attach the pots first or double this with a breadboard for pots.   

Nothing exciting so far - next up will be a pedal circuit.  Another PCB kit from FuzzDog. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    If you’re finding parts fiddly to keep in place a small blob of blu tac or piece of masking tape is handy to hold things where you want until they’be been soldered in place.

I connect the pots before testing too especially if you’re building a fuzzdog kit you’ll have pcb mount pots so super easy to install and difficult to get wrong vs pots on vero builds. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    This is great. :-)

One advantage of the FD tester board that my breadboard tester doesn't have is the stomp switch. I recently finished a pedal build where it was popping when the stomp was switched on and off. Turned out that the output cap was the wrong way around on the layout diagram and I had to swap a cap out. The FD tester board would have caught that before I'd boxed it.

At some point I want to build a pedal kit with PCB mounted pots, but I'm nervous about lining up the pots with the drilled holes in the enclosure, so I'd appreciate any tips on that.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Adam_MD said:
    If you’re finding parts fiddly to keep in place a small blob of blu tac or piece of masking tape is handy to hold things where you want until they’be been soldered in place.

I connect the pots before testing too especially if you’re building a fuzzdog kit you’ll have pcb mount pots so super easy to install and difficult to get wrong vs pots on vero builds. 
    Yep, didn't have any blu tac, so the masking tape has been out already! :) 

I will be connecting the pots on these kits first, since they are PCB mounted.  I quite like the idea of trying the trim pot/breadboard thing for future Vero builds so I can experiment with different pot values etc. :) 

Philtre said:
    This is great. :-)

One advantage of the FD tester board that my breadboard tester doesn't have is the stomp switch. I recently finished a pedal build where it was popping when the stomp was switched on and off. Turned out that the output cap was the wrong way around on the layout diagram and I had to swap a cap out. The FD tester board would have caught that before I'd boxed it.

At some point I want to build a pedal kit with PCB mounted pots, but I'm nervous about lining up the pots with the drilled holes in the enclosure, so I'd appreciate any tips on that.
    I was a bit worried about that too, but the included Hammond enclosures came predrilled.  The FD kits have a drill template in the instructions but not sure how good it is.  
    edited April 2018
    Fuzzdog’s drill temps are really accurate so you won’t have any problems.  I use his measurements when I’m making my decal once the decal is made I remove the images etc so I have my drill template that way the decal and template will be exactly the same.

As to lining up pots/switches etc I drill my enclosure

Put my pots and switches in and tighten them down on the top of the enclosure 

Carefully line the pcb on top of everything and check that it’s level then solder one pin of every pot that way you can take the whole thing out as one piece and make sure you’re happy with the fit in the enclosure and if it’s level or not etc.  If you’re not happy it’s easy to reflow the solder on a pin to move the pot about until it’s where you want it to be then just solder the rest of the pins and you’re golden.  

Nice! :+1: presumably that only works with a symmetrical layout as it will be flipped?
    SteveF said:
    Nice! :+1: presumably that only works with a symmetrical layout as it will be flipped?
    I was just typing in the exact same question. ;-)
    edited April 2018
    Yes but I think I’ve only made 1 or 2 pedals which weren’t symmetrical.  With those I put holes in a cardboard box from the drill template the correct way round and did it that way.

Hopefully that makes sense.  
    Adam_MD said:

Hopefully that makes sense.  
    Definitely :) Saves my probable trial and error approach! :lol: 

Got a bit more done today before I was dragged away by Mrs F.  Started working on one of my FuzzDog kits, a very simple boost circuit they call the Boner Boost.  Here's the schematic: 

I got the main part of the board put together: 

Hooked it up to my little test setup, attached the battery, plugged in the guitar and connected it to my amp, and... It didn't work! :anguished: 

A condor moment and a quick check revealed that I had the board 'upside down', i.e. I had connected the ribbon cable to the test rig backwards, so the V and G terminals were reversed, so I switched it round and YAY it works!  I only had it plugged into my little Blackstar Fly 3 battery amp as it was handy to have on the table, but this thing seems to have a lot of gain.    Looking forward to getting it all wired up properly and having a go in my proper amps - I reckon it would work ok as a clean boost, but would also break up an amp nicely. I'll report back once it's all finished.  

I'm not going to bother finishing the enclosure just yet - this is a pretty basic circuit and I'm undecided whether I will keep it as yet so didn't want to 'waste' an enclosure that I could use for a better build.  That said, if I do like it, I can always dismantle it and finish the enclosure another time. 

I've also started wiring up the switching daughterboard and started wiring it into the enclosure but haven't got pics of that yet.  Hopefully get this one finished tomorrow :)  Really finding this enjoyable and a great way to pass time.

I was also pleasantly interrupted by various posties and couriers throughout the day bringing me all sorts of goodies from bits box, RS and CPC.  Got plenty to be getting on with over the coming days and weeks.  Keeping an eye out for a code for Tayda too, so would appreciate a shout if anyone sees one pop up in case I miss it. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    SteveF said:
    So I thought I would stop hijacking @philtre 's thread and start my own for my pedal building stuff.  

I got some stuff together over the last couple of days and I'm ready to get started.  I've gone down a slightly different route from Phil and started off with a couple of PCB kits from FuzzDog.  To get my soldering hand back in, since I haven't soldered anything more than a pickup swap in years, I thought I'd start with something very simple, so I have knocked up a little tester to allow me to power, switch and get a signal in and out of builds.  

And here it is: 

I forgotten just how fiddly soldering small parts on a PCB could be.  The strip connector at the front is for connecting ribbon cable from FuzzDog direct connect compatible kits, whereas I can use the blue terminals to attach wires from other builds.  The obvious downside of this setup compared to Phil's breadboard system is that there's no pots, so I either have to attach the pots first or double this with a breadboard for pots.   

Nothing exciting so far - next up will be a pedal circuit.  Another PCB kit from FuzzDog. 
    top tip for the tester board. Put it in an enclosure, get some quality wire for each of the connections and drill four holes in the enclosure top run the wires through the hole and into the screw connectors. Then take the the four "antenna" add solder 4 crocodile clips to them. label the top of the enclosure and you have a screw less tester pedal that is more robust than having the PCB floating around.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Sounds like a plan :) I had been thinking about putting it in an enclosure but hadn't worked out the best way to do the test leads. 
    Looks good @SteveF I like the SHO it’s an excellent boost circuit and super simple.

ThorpyFX said:
    top tip for the tester board. Put it in an enclosure, get some quality wire for each of the connections and drill four holes in the enclosure top run the wires through the hole and into the screw connectors. Then take the the four "antenna" add solder 4 crocodile clips to them. label the top of the enclosure and you have a screw less tester pedal that is more robust than having the PCB floating around.
     Very sensible tip.  My test box is pretty battered looking now after a few years of being used and abused but still going strong.

Nice, will definitely box it up at some point. :) 
    edited April 2018
    Sounds like you had a good day @SteveF

Tayda enclosures work at at just under £4 a pop, so you could "waste" a couple of those if needed. My last one was light blue, but I messed up the Envirotex mix and had to scrape it all off and sand it down. A quick respray with a can of Halfords "Kia White" car spray and I was back in the game.

Tayda just had a 15% discount code finishing on 2nd April. Reckon they'll do another before the month's out. I'll keep an eye out for you.

BTW - I've learnt more from my cock-ups than when things went perfectly. ;-)
    Quick one on finishing the boxes - for the couple that I have that have come unfinished - If I'm going to spray them, can I just spray some primer straight on, then paint and clear coat or do I need to do anything to the metal first?  I'm not even sure I have bought the right stuff to be honest, I got some Plasti-kote spray paint stuff from Amazon.  I think I'll just be ordering finished boxes from now on with the base colour already on and going from there. 
    Primer than a few light coats of paint. Then use clear coat or ET as you prefer. I started with aluminium boxes and spraying them but it's just not worth it. I know @Adam_MD will agree.
    Philtre said:
    Primer than a few light coats of paint. Then use clear coat or ET as you prefer. I started with aluminium boxes and spraying them but it's just not worth it. I know @Adam_MD will agree.
    100% if you compare the cost of the bare enclosure, paint, primer and the time it takes you to prep then paint a bunch of light coats and sand and spray etc it makes pre powder coated enclosures totally worth the small upcharge.

Just going off bitsbox prices a bare 1590b is £7.90

https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=185_187&products_id=2070

Whereas a red powder coated enclosure is only £11.33

https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=185_187&products_id=2133

Unless you particularly like the painting process it’s just not worth it IMO.

If you want something a bit special head over to Banzai who have a ton of different colours for about £11 each though it’s worth buying a few at a time as postage is about £7 or £8.

https://www.banzaimusic.com/Enclosure-B-Antique-Gold-Bulk.html

And my personal favourites black sparkle and vintage orange sparkle
    https://www.banzaimusic.com/Enclosure-B-Black-Sparkle-Bulk.html

https://www.banzaimusic.com/Enclosure-B-Vintage-Orange-Sparkle-Bulk.html