Sharps and flats in C major

What's Hot
I’m arranging an old Catalan folk song. It’s in C Major, but it also has a flat 5th in there.

My question is a general theory question. When you use an out-of-key note in C Major, is it sharp or flat? In my example, is it called Gb or F#? Or can you just pick whatever you fancy?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited April 2018
    You can choose, but they do have different nuances.

If you’re specifically wanting to write in Lydian, replacing the perfect 4th with an augmented 4th (like The Simpsons - though that’s not strictly speaking Lydian) then you’re sharpening the 4th note to an F# (indeed you could write the whole piece with a G major key signature if you wanted)

If you’re linking the perfect 5th to the perfect 4th with a chromatic, bluesy feel, particularly downwards, then it’s more likely to be a flat 5 - ie a Gb. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The song uses the it as a passing note to add tension, played twice after the G. That would make it a Gb then, right? 
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Prob but let’s have a listen :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    Given that the C Major Scale itself hasn't any sharps, or flats, then it probably doesn't matter which you choose provided you consistently use either a sharp, or a flat, and don't mix them. In general terms, you normally use a sharp to alter notes if the underlying scale is one with sharps in it, and flats where the scale contains flats.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    One thing I didn't mention above is  - are there any particular conventions in Catalan music to help you decide which accidental to use?
  • One thing I didn't mention above is  - are there any particular conventions in Catalan music to help you decide which accidental to use?
    That I don’t know — I’m not a native. But that’s a good point. I shall ask. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9656
    The song uses the it as a passing note to add tension, played twice after the G. That would make it a Gb then, right? 
    That's probably what I'd do. If the preceding note was a G then I'd go with Gb. If the preceding note was F then I'd go with F#. No reason except that it helps show where you're headed from where you are now.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @HAL9000 that seems quite reasonable, in the absence of any other conventions
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself