Which Studio Monitors ?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I’m going to be the bearer of bad news and suggest foam tiles do very little for bass. At least the typical 2” thickness foam tiles don’t do much.

They will affect mids and highs, but low end requires thicker treatment. I don’t have any acoustic panels thinner than 4” in my room, most are 6”, and I have thicker in corners. Even then I still have bass issues. 

Most home rooms, especially brick built rooms, are going to have bass issues. But some DIY bass trapping will help if you have space for it. Or if you have the money, talk to GIK.
    I have massive horrible ugly bass traps in the corners of my room. still isn't great. Foam tiles are only good for early reflections and preventing flutter echos (still important)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Wazmeister Bet you wish you'd never asked ;)
  • I’m going to be the bearer of bad news and suggest foam tiles do very little for bass. At least the typical 2” thickness foam tiles don’t do much.
    It does very little, but in small rooms it can be just enough to cross over from "unmanageable" to "just about usable". It certainly was in mine :)

If it works for you then great.  Generally it's thought thinner foam panels don't do a lot below 200hz - it could be you had issues higher than the bass range which they have helped with.

The other thing people who are just starting out generally don't think about with room treatment is decay time.  I know I spent years completely oblivious to this myself anyway. 

If you only treat higher frequencies, then deeper ones will ring out for longer.  So an extreme example would be covering a whole room top to bottom in 2" foam.  That's going to kill most high and midrange reflections, but will do very little for the bass.  So what will happen is your bass frequencies will still bounce around the room and last longer, thus skewing your perception of bass even further, feeling like bass is more prominent and bass transients last longer than they actually do.

This is a study done by GIK, so of course it pimps their own product.  But this isn't even their deepest trap by a long shot, and is compared against foam bass traps.

http://www.gikacoustics.com/comparing-foam-to-gik-244-bass-traps/

To illustrate the point, here are the waterfall graphs, which show frequency and decay time.

The foam in question is  (16) 17″ x 24” acoustic foam bass traps, and the GIK traps are (8) GIK 244 traps that are 24″ x 48″.  Look at the peak in empty just below 70hz and how the foam compares to the bass trap, especially in decay time.  The foam does a great job of higher frequency decay time but comparatively does much worse in below 200hz.

• Really getting something perfect isn't going to be possible, and a typical home room will always be a compromise. 

But if a person wanted to get into recording and intended to use speakers (not just headphones) I think building a bunch of 4" traps (there are loads of how to posts all over the internet) will make a really noticeable difference.  If I could start again, I would've done that first before buying any additional plugins.  As it was I did the same as many people did and bought 'fun stuff' over acoustic treatment for a long time.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Just get some decent headphones?
    Seems a cheaper solution overall and there is no issue with the room reflection and all that other jazz. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    If you're going for mixing headphones I would recommend the Shure SRH1440. Really useful in an untreated room and the open back style does give some approximation of listening with monitors. I also use the Equator D5's for monitor reference and for the price they are very good. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Based on the Presonus Eris E8s I got for the Helix, the E5s might be a decent bet. Not too pricey, front ported, adjustable bass cutoff and an "acoustic space" switch to adjust bass response if they're near a wall or in corners.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    Just get some decent headphones?
    Seems a cheaper solution overall and there is no issue with the room reflection and all that other jazz. 
    Hiya Jack,

Yes, got some decent earphones - just wanted to have some speakers...

I will say though, I'm not going to jump into another rabbit hole like I have in the past !

Needs to be simple, and work quickly :)

Appreciate some fantastic advice and thoughts gents.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    Fretwired said:
    Yamaha HS5's or HS7's depending on space or if it's really small IK Multimedia iLoud Monitors. I have a pair of the HS7's and the iLoud's and they are both great.
    I've just got a pair of ilouds and they are very good, especially for the size.

Something that is botherimg me though is an audible whistling noise, which I assume is from the in built Bluetooth.  Sounds like a quiet Spectrum 48k loading a game.  It's not too intrusive, but easily noticable with nothing coming through the speakers.   Have you noticed this on yours?

They sound good, if it's normal I'll probably keep them, but don't want to do so if it's a defect on mine.
  • As a few others have said, Adams. I use them, they are excellent for the money. I love mine
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    edited April 2018
    I must say this thread has been super helpful...Thanks to all for your advice.

I ended up with some Genelec 8010s; purchased mainly for their very small footprint. 
    I’m now entering a new rabbit hole; learning about sampling and now actually recording my own music, for once.

Elektron Digitackt arrived, with a Digitone incom8ng
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021

I ended up with some Genelec 8010s; purchased mainly for their very small footprint. 

Good choice!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    Forgot to mention - I use a pair of passive Tannoy Reveal 6 monitors that I picked up second-hand for £80. Along with one of those T-path amps you get for £30 on eBay, they're about as good as it's possible to get in my room; any more, and it'd be a total waste. I've tried a mate's Genelecs in here, and they really don't sound appreciably different - certainly no difference in detail - so I remain convinced that with the room as the limiting factor, you're better off saving your money.
    What model T amp are you using @digitalscream ;
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26450
    Rocker said:
    Forgot to mention - I use a pair of passive Tannoy Reveal 6 monitors that I picked up second-hand for £80. Along with one of those T-path amps you get for £30 on eBay, they're about as good as it's possible to get in my room; any more, and it'd be a total waste. I've tried a mate's Genelecs in here, and they really don't sound appreciably different - certainly no difference in detail - so I remain convinced that with the room as the limiting factor, you're better off saving your money.
    What model T amp are you using @digitalscream ;
    One of these, but with the PSU:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lepai-Lvpin-Tripath-LP-2020A-TA2020-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Audio-Amplifier-Brand-New-UK-/112782885265?hash=item1a42624191

Flat as you like with the tone controls bypassed, and way more headroom than I need for my office. They really are great value.
    <space for hire>
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096

I’m now entering a new rabbit hole; learning about sampling and now actually recording my own music, for once.

Elektron Digitackt arrived, with a Digitone incom8ng
    Excellent choice! I bought a pair of Focal Alpha 50's recently as one of my Silver 5L monitors suffered a small child/football injury and had to go off for repair. The Focals were utterly wonderful, very well detailed and lovely bass, but just too much for my tiny space. Happily the repair bill for my monitor is £60 and so I'll be back to full sound soon. 

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    Last time I looked, Genelecs were quite expensive for the specs compared to Focal, I haven't done a comparison recently though
    BMWs tend to be quite expensive compared to Citroens, too.
    thanks for the useless comparison

The reality is that Focals are a bit cheaper than Genelec, and are frequently reviewed more highly than Genelecs
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited April 2018
    Fretwired said:
    Yamaha HS5's or HS7's depending on space or if it's really small IK Multimedia iLoud Monitors. I have a pair of the HS7's and the iLoud's and they are both great.
    I've just got a pair of ilouds and they are very good, especially for the size.

Something that is botherimg me though is an audible whistling noise, which I assume is from the in built Bluetooth.  Sounds like a quiet Spectrum 48k loading a game.  It's not too intrusive, but easily noticable with nothing coming through the speakers.   Have you noticed this on yours?

They sound good, if it's normal I'll probably keep them, but don't want to do so if it's a defect on mine.
    Nope. Mine are whisper quiet. Is it interference from another source?

Is this the noise?

I only have Bluetooth enabled when I listen to Spotify via my iPad - there's a bit of noise (go to end of YouTube video when guy uses an iPhone) when I engage Bluetooth but when the music plays you don't hear it. When I'm recording the spears are wired and Bluetooth is off.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    Fret, is it possible to turn off the Bluetooth entirely? I only ask as I use a Denon amp with my passive monitors (hardwired connection) and there is a difference in the sound if I turn the Bluetooth receiver on the amp off entirely. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fret, is it possible to turn off the Bluetooth entirely? I only ask as I use a Denon amp with my passive monitors (hardwired connection) and there is a difference in the sound if I turn the Bluetooth receiver on the amp off entirely. 
    Yes. I don't have the Bluetooth switched on.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Tannoy Reveal? I got mine from a forum member at a very advantageous price, and drive them with a Quad 303.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself