Line 6 powercab

What's Hot
John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
Interesting new release, think I need one :)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    yes, same here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    I expected them to have something like this quite some time back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Yeah, just seen this.  I think it's what I've been waiting for.  I had been looking at the Friedman FR cab or the RedSound ones, but this seems to do more and from the looks of the pricing I can find, I suspect it will be cheaper than those others.  I think I just need the basic one
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    The speaker modelling seems interesting....
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12643
    Is that the sound of hell freezing over I hear...

In 2006, I suggested that a similar cab would be a winner for Line6 (to go with floor modellers, such as the XT Live, HD500 later etc) but as told "nobody would buy one - look at the Atomic cab, nobody buys that"... erm...

TBH, when I see stuff like this, I get a little cross because had they been making stuff that people actually wanted (by people I mean real people, not the assholes at GC) Line6 wouldn't have lost money for years and they wouldn't have needed to make so many good people redundant (not just UK folks)... for too long they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, and whilst its great to see them starting to rebuild their reputation with working musos, its tinged a little bitter sweet for those of us that tried to make them listen for years.

However, I genuinely hope they do well.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited April 2018
    impmann said:

In 2006, I suggested that a similar cab would be a winner for Line6 (to go with floor modellers, such as the XT Live, HD500 later etc) but as told "nobody would buy one - look at the Atomic cab, nobody buys that"... erm...

TBH, when I see stuff like this, I get a little cross because had they been making stuff that people actually wanted (by people I mean real people, not the assholes at GC) Line6 wouldn't have lost money for years and they wouldn't have needed to make so many good people redundant (not just UK folks)... for too long they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, and whilst its great to see them starting to rebuild their reputation with working musos, its tinged a little bitter sweet for those of us that tried to make them listen for years.

I think 2006 was too early. I bought a lot of Line 6 products from day one and on the forums people just laughed - toys. Modelling is now mainstream as the tech has improved. I doubt those with a POD 2, PODxt or PODx3 would have bought this kind of solution - I know I wouldn't. My PODs were for practising and recording whilst amps were for live. My POD 2 sounded great in my bedroom studio through my monitors.

You now see modelling kit on stage courtesy of Axe-Fx, Helix and even the POD 500X. The other game changer is the way people listen to music - streamed or MP3s which means a small modelling guitar amp can double as a music system connected to a smart phone. This will no doubt sell well.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    Fretwired said:
    impmann said:

I think 2006 was too early. I bought a lot of Line 6 products from day one and on the forums people just laughed - toys. Modelling is now mainstream as the tech has improved. I doubt those with a POD 2, PODxt or PODx3 would have bought this kind of solution - I know I wouldn't. My PODs were for practising and recording whilst amps were for live. My POD 2 sounded great in my bedroom studio through my monitors.

You now see modelling kit on stage courtesy of Axe-Fx, Helix and even the POD 500X. The other game changer is the way people listen to music - streamed or MP3s which means a small modelling guitar amp can double as a music system connected to a smart phone.
    I totally agree that launch of 2006 would have been a little too early (although the Atomic cab was selling well - despite it not sounding very good), but bearing in mind that (at the time) it was taking at least 18months to 2 years for a product to come to market from inception, it would have been about right if a little early. At the time, L6 was working to a five year plan - so it would have dropped about perfectly for the HD500/HD500x. The decision was taken that the proposed PA cabs (at the time unnamed) would have an FRFR facility and that would satisfy the need... which it did to a point, and they are great sounding but HEAVY and not very 'cool' looking or 'guitar-y'.

As for the concept of nobody using the stuff live... you'd be surprised. We had lots of guys using XT Lives, HD500s etc into the return of combos etc (eg, Steve Howe, the guys from Elbow - who still do use their XT Lives, etc etc). There were quite a few pros using these things live who wanted amplification for their PODs... we got a lot of requests through CS.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4287
    edited April 2018
    impmann said:

As for the concept of nobody using the stuff live... you'd be surprised. We had lots of guys using XT Lives, HD500s etc into the return of combos etc (eg, Steve Howe, the guys from Elbow - who still do use their XT Lives, etc etc). There were quite a few pros using these things live who wanted amplification for their PODs... we got a lot of requests through CS.

Interesting .. I'd have thought they could just use a PA style solution. Bill Nelson gigged with a POD 2 bean unit for years and pumped it into the PA via a mixer and had a small monitor on the stage. Sounded good.

I used to hang out on the Line 6 forums and remember the debate well. Most people wanted a high quality, good looking amp .. I think Line 6 wasted time and money going down the valve amp hybrid. Many people just wanted a Flextone/Vetta that was affordable and gigable. While people laughed at the Spider I recall my local GAS emporium couldn't get enough of them.

I had a friend in a covers band playing blues rock who had a Flextone II head and cab and floorboard and loved it. In a band setting it sounded pretty good. I think some guys were wary of turning up with just a bean. I gigged with a Flextone II amp.

• gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    I gigged my XT Live for years running either straight into the PA or into a basic solid state combo.
    Worked a treat.
    Was really happy with it and then went doswn the valve route which ended up with me chasing the magical ingredient for years and costing a lot of money.

My XT Live is still my live backup solution and i use it for recording.
    Fretwired said:

While people laughed at the Spider I recall my local GAS emporium couldn't get enough of them.

Spider was the worlds best selling amplifier for a time. And quite a long time too... Fender don't like being reminded of that! ;-)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    impmann said:
    Fretwired said:

While people laughed at the Spider I recall my local GAS emporium couldn't get enough of them.

Spider was the worlds best selling amplifier for a time. And quite a long time too... Fender don't like being reminded of that! ;-)
    For very good reason ! 

If you're playing at home and want a small combo that sounds decent has a few fx in it the spider 15 is perfect.

It suffers badly from an undeserved reputation mainly caused by it being marketed as a beginner amplifier with a badge that's often mocked. For something that can be picked up for £30 you'd be hard pushed to find a better home use amp for such little money.

I've used a spiider 15 in a gig enviroment. Mic'd up it was perfectly fine.

Right i'm hitting the classifieds for one........

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    gubble said:
    impmann said:
    Fretwired said:

For very good reason ! 

If you're playing at home and want a small combo that sounds decent has a few fx in it the spider 15 is perfect.

It suffers badly from an undeserved reputation mainly caused by it being marketed as a beginner amplifier with a badge that's often mocked. For something that can be picked up for £30 you'd be hard pushed to find a better home use amp for such little money.

I've used a spiider 15 in a gig enviroment. Mic'd up it was perfectly fine.

Right i'm hitting the classifieds for one........

Which reminds me. I have two Spider amps stored away somewhere from my jam group. A Spider IV 75 and a Spider Jam. A group of us used to host a jam session and bought these amps to use. They sounded OK and worked a treat. The Jam was pretty good at bashing out backing tracks ... now where are they?

• What’s the price? 
    Powercab 112—$599.99 US street
    Powercab 112 Plus—$799.99 US street
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    What’s the price? 
    Powercab 112—$599.99 US street
    Powercab 112 Plus—$799.99 US street
    Anybody want to buy a DXR-10? 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    Oh that's interesting. Looks like the older modelers with rubbish cab sims and no IR loader but decent enough preamp sims could get a new lease of life with the 112 plus.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Oh that's interesting. Looks like the older modelers with rubbish cab sims and no IR loader but decent enough preamp sims could get a new lease of life with the 112 plus.
    Or even just the standard one.  Proof is all in how it sounds though, will be interested to have a play with one
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I'm interested in it, but I sing as well so combining the L2 as a guitar and vocal monitor suits me better at the moment

• impmann said:

That's fair. Today's Line 6 is a very different beast from the Line 6 of old. Every company has its hiccups and we just happen to be firing on all cylinders right now. It really helps having someone like Marcus in the big chair, who trusts his Product team to do what's right.

However, I still maintain that the traditional FRFR speaker market was probably too small for Line 6 to bother. To make any effort worth it, we needed to grow the market, which meant we needed to do something unique that might resonate with modeling guitarists. But first, we needed to create a modeler that resonated with guitarists—we needed a base of customers from which to expand into other territories (like powered cabs). Everything needs to be released in the right order, otherwise we run the risk of confusing the market or biting off too much too early. There's a lot of method to this madness.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 385
    UK prices are likely to be £649 & £849