Line 6 powercab

What's Hot

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    matt1973 said:
    UK prices are likely to be £649 & £849
    That sounds pretty reasonable if they are as good as they look on paper, after the HX FX not being what  I'd hoped it would be I need a reason to give some cash to Line 6 :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 385
    Depends for me - if it’s the ‘missing link’ between traditional rigs and modellers, it’s a steal. If it’s another Tech21 PowerEngine then, in which case, it’s poor value. I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Presumably it wouldn't work plugging a normal head in to try the different speaker sims?  Too much signal level from the head to the cab?
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Would it work from the send, assuming you still loaded the amp?
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    SteveF said:
    Should work fine. Be a great way to do a wet dry rig as well. Send from your amp to the fx and return to the powercab. Or 2 of them! ;-)

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439

matt1973 said:
    Depends for me - if it’s the ‘missing link’ between traditional rigs and modellers, it’s a steal. If it’s another Tech21 PowerEngine then, in which case, it’s poor value. I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
    I’m quite fussy about this stuff. I’ll let you know when I get to check one out which will hopefully be soon. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

SteveF said:
    Guess it would.  My Engl ironball has a silent mode, so would be intestine to compare it with a regular cab
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646

However, I still maintain that the traditional FRFR speaker market was probably too small for Line 6 to bother. To make any effort worth it, we needed to grow the market, which meant we needed to do something unique that might resonate with modeling guitarists. But first, we needed to create a modeler that resonated with guitarists—we needed a base of customers from which to expand into other territories (like powered cabs). Everything needs to be released in the right order, otherwise we run the risk of confusing the market or biting off too much too early. There's a lot of method to this madness.
    Sorry, chap, I take issue with that...

Back in 2006-2009, Line6 *was* growing the market. Line6 was the leading manufacturer of modelling products - before Line6 there was NO modelling (to speak of). Everybody else was jumping on *our* bandwagon. We were the market leader and we were selling container-loads of HD500s/HD500X. We had products that resonated, we had a HUGE customer base and we were the envy of everyone else trying to get a foothold on that market. The profits during that point were huge and we were growing at a huge rate. Then the trouble started...

Had Line6 not taken their foot off the gas, and not gone down the blind alleys of trying to get into bed with Apple (that went well, didn't it) and those bloody ridiculous PAs - we could have capitalised on that position. However, we were told this was a "race to the bottom" (direct quote) so Line6 should move into new areas and the canned development of the original Spider V (which we both know was canned near launch for dubious reasons), the delayed development of the HD500 replacement (money/resources) and replacements for the ageing 4x4 range (still yet to happen, dispite *huge* amount of evidence to show it would be well received - refer Strymon... sore point in some corners at Calabasas) only served to ruin core business. TBH, the FRFR market was about as shakey as any other decision taken at the time, and with the benefit of hindsight had the decision been taken differently, I feel Line6 would have had 10 years of product development and would probably be the market leader in that too...

I agree Marcus is a great guy - I've played some fab gigs with the man too - and I'm genuinely pleased that things are on the up at Line6, as its needed a lift for a while. I wish this product every success.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    6 months until Boss/Roland have something similar hahahahaha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    impmann said:

However, I still maintain that the traditional FRFR speaker market was probably too small for Line 6 to bother. To make any effort worth it, we needed to grow the market, which meant we needed to do something unique that might resonate with modeling guitarists. But first, we needed to create a modeler that resonated with guitarists—we needed a base of customers from which to expand into other territories (like powered cabs). Everything needs to be released in the right order, otherwise we run the risk of confusing the market or biting off too much too early. There's a lot of method to this madness.
    Sorry, chap, I take issue with that...

Back in 2006-2009, Line6 *was* growing the market. Line6 was the leading manufacturer of modelling products - before Line6 there was NO modelling (to speak of). Everybody else was jumping on *our* bandwagon. We were the market leader and we were selling container-loads of HD500s/HD500X. We had products that resonated, we had a HUGE customer base and we were the envy of everyone else trying to get a foothold on that market. The profits during that point were huge and we were growing at a huge rate. Then the trouble started...

Had Line6 not taken their foot off the gas, and not gone down the blind alleys of trying to get into bed with Apple (that went well, didn't it) and those bloody ridiculous PAs - we could have capitalised on that position. However, we were told this was a "race to the bottom" (direct quote) so Line6 should move into new areas and the canned development of the original Spider V (which we both know was canned near launch for dubious reasons), the delayed development of the HD500 replacement (money/resources) and replacements for the ageing 4x4 range (still yet to happen, dispite *huge* amount of evidence to show it would be well received - refer Strymon... sore point in some corners at Calabasas) only served to ruin core business. TBH, the FRFR market was about as shakey as any other decision taken at the time, and with the benefit of hindsight had the decision been taken differently, I feel Line6 would have had 10 years of product development and would probably be the market leader in that too...

I agree Marcus is a great guy - I've played some fab gigs with the man too - and I'm genuinely pleased that things are on the up at Line6, as its needed a lift for a while. I wish this product every success.
    Have to agree .. Line 6 'extended the line' (US marketing speak) rather than focusing on their core market and products. The POD was innovative as was the XT Live floorboard when that was released .. had Line 6 focused on improving the basic proposition, amp and fx modelling, things could have been different. The Variax was innovative but was all the effort worth it? Never thought the valve amp/modelling hybrids were a good idea either.

Should have launched the HD range and Helix earlier at which point a FRFR powered cab would have made sense. I'm sure Yamaha will support Line 6 product development.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    John_A said:
    What’s the price? 
    Powercab 112—$599.99 US street
    Powercab 112 Plus—$799.99 US street
    Anybody want to buy a DXR-10? 
    Interested to know the scenarios you envisage where this new speaker will give you something over the DXR-10. I can see that if people have patches where removing the IR saves important computing usage, there's a benefit. But otherwise for Helix users, I'm not sure I see a massive benefit - but it wouldn't surprise me if I've missed the complete USP of this!!

I go straight to the PA from my Helix and have an old monitor at my feet. Not sure what else my specific set up would benefit from this. Genuine question and not bashing the product's idea at all.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    edited April 2018
    John_A said:
    What’s the price? 
    Interested to know the scenarios you envisage where this new speaker will give you something over the DXR-10. I can see that if people have patches where removing the IR saves important computing usage, there's a benefit. But otherwise for Helix users, I'm not sure I see a massive benefit - but it wouldn't surprise me if I've missed the complete USP of this!!

I go straight to the PA from my Helix and have an old monitor at my feet. Not sure what else my specific set up would benefit from this. Genuine question and not bashing the product's idea at all.
    It may not be aimed at you by the sounds of it - Its about getting those who didn’t get on with their sound being processed at the end point ie the cabinet and microphone modelled. This basically allows you to have the Helix but keep the traditional backline guitar amp sound and feel. 

If it helps, I’d feel much more comfortable with this than an FRFR monitor - this was the element that dissuaded me from getting a Helix 6 months ago, so there’s definitely a market of one for it!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    John_A said:
    What’s the price? 

It may not be aimed at you by the sounds of it - Its about getting those who didn’t get on with their sound being processed at the end point ie the cabinet and microphone modelled. This basically allows you to have the Helix but keep the traditional backline guitar amp sound and feel. 

If it helps, I’d feel much more comfortable with this than an FRFR monitor - this was the element that dissuaded me from getting a Helix 6 months ago, so there’s definitely a market of one for it!
    Presumably those who would use it for something like a wet dry rig with an existing amp will benefit from the built in speaker modelling as well ? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    John_A said:
    What’s the price? 

If I'm totally honest it's just an excuse to buy something new :).  Not a great deal of benefit other than it may be better for playing at home, and small gigs where backline is more appropriate than going to the PA.  At the moment I do exactly the same as you, direct to the PA with a little monitor.

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Makes sense. At home, I flit between the Helix and Native, sometimes using headphones, so not sure the home angle gives me anything.

And I'll be honest that most of my live playing over the last 10yrs has been DI to the PA in one guise or another so I've never become wedded to the backline sound/feel.

@John_A - if you do decide to take the plunge, let me know as the DXR-10 might be something I'd consider to upgrade my current Laney wedge monitor.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @hubobulous ; will let you know, need to try one first
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    impmann said:

before Line6 there was NO modelling (to speak of)
    The Roland VG-8 was on sale before Line6 even existed. Unless you're using "to speak of" to rule out anything that contradicts your rather overblown claim there.

I'm not disuputing Line6's importance to the modelling world, but let's not get carried away here.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    Sporky said:
    impmann said:

before Line6 there was NO modelling (to speak of)
    The Roland VG-8 was on sale before Line6 even existed. Unless you're using "to speak of" to rule out anything that contradicts your rather overblown claim there.

I'm not disuputing Line6's importance to the modelling world, but let's not get carried away here.
    The VG8 was out first - this is true. However, apart from a very small number of folks nobody bought it because 1) it was very expensive, 2) needed a GK pickup and 3) it wasn't very good. No it wasn't very good - I know you are a fan but frankly, there's a reason why millions bought PODs instead, including the early adopters of VG8 (such as Johnny Marr).

So my claim - there was no modelling (to speak of) holds true as aside from the tiny numbers that bought VG, nobody was using modelling until Line6 made it available to the common working musician.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    Right - so you are indeed using "to speak of" to dismiss anything that contradicts your silly hyperbole.

As for the VG-8 not being good, that's you posting opinion as fact, even if you put it in bold. How long did it take Line6 to catch up? They still don't have a unit that does everything the VG-8 does, do they?

As for trying to dismiss my opinion by saying I'm a "fan", I never owned a VG-8. I am simply pointing out that your claim that "before Line6 there was NO modelling" requires a very revisionist view of history.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    I think we’re off topic guys. 

I’m really looking forward to giving this a spin “as L6 intended” ie with a Helix, as well as hear how other people who struggled to adapt to an FRFR find it.