Line 6 powercab

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited April 2018
    Sporky said:
    impmann said:

before Line6 there was NO modelling (to speak of)
    The Roland VG-8 was on sale before Line6 even existed. Unless you're using "to speak of" to rule out anything that contradicts your rather overblown claim there.

I'm not disuputing Line6's importance to the modelling world, but let's not get carried away here.
    Not quite - Fast-Forward Designs was formed in the late 1980s and became Line 6 in 1996. VG8 was out in 1995 whilst the AxSys 212 modelling amp was released in 1996. Line 6 made the world's first modelling amp. Line 6's amps and the latter POD could be used by anyone with a guitar whilst the VG8 needed a GK pickup attached.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27986
    edited April 2018
    Fretwired said:
    Sporky said:

The Roland VG-8 was on sale before Line6 even existed
    Not quite - Fast-Forward Designs was formed in the late 1980s and became Line 6 in 1996. VG8 was out in 1995 whilst the AxSys 212 modelling amp was released in 1996. Line 6 made the world's first modelling amp. Line 6's amps and the latter POD could be used by anyone with a guitar whilst the VG8 needed a GK pickup attached.

Right - so the VG-8 was out a year before Line6 actually existed - isn't that what I said? Ah, yes, it's what I said there, and you quoted it and put it in bold - thank you.

And the VG-8 was without question a modelling unit.

I think we’re off topic guys. 
    Indeed. I think we've clarified that Line6 didn't single-handedly invent modelling though, and weren't even first to market, so we can move on.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited April 2018
    Sporky said:
    Fretwired said:
    Sporky said:

The Roland VG-8 was on sale before Line6 even existed

Right - so the VG-8 was out a year before Line6 actually existed - isn't that what I said? Ah, yes, it's what I said there, and you quoted it and put it in bold.

And the VG-8 was without question a modelling unit.

I think we’re off topic guys. 
    Indeed. I think we've clarified that Line6 didn't single-handedly invent modelling though, and weren't even first to market, so we can move on.
    I said not quite as Fast Forward Design simply changed its name so development of the world's first modelling amp was well under way before the VG8 was launched. Same people, same building just a different name ... and I didn't say the VG8 wasn't a modelling unit. I gave a reason why Line 6 had an edge.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Sporky said:
    Right - so you are indeed using "to speak of" to dismiss anything that contradicts your silly hyperbole.

As for the VG-8 not being good, that's you posting opinion as fact, even if you put it in bold. How long did it take Line6 to catch up? They still don't have a unit that does everything the VG-8 does, do they?

As for trying to dismiss my opinion by saying I'm a "fan", I never owned a VG-8. I am simply pointing out that your claim that "before Line6 there was NO modelling" requires a very revisionist view of history.
    Its only silly because it doesn't fit your particular narrow view point, Spork. We've been here before, haven't we?

And yes, that is my opinion of VG8. And I *HAVE* owned one. I didn't like it. I don't like the hex pickup system that Roland use, and I don't like Roland/Boss sounds in general. Thats my personal prejudice. Some of the stuff VG8 did was pretty groundbreaking and yes, there was some stuff on there that Line6 have chosen not to get involved with - but thats got more to do with IP than whether or not it was in any way 'better'. How long did it take for Line6 to catch up... well, bearing in mind that everyone bought PODs and very few bought the VG, I'd say "not very long at all", if they were ever "behind".

As @fretwired states above whilst the VG8 came out first, it was literally only by months - plus as very few people bought it (for *whatever* reason - happy? Unlikely...) there was no modelling to speak of until Line6 came along for the common muso. Not revisionist, just discounting the VG as it really didn't appeal to many folks... and still *doesn't*.

We can go around in pedantic circles all day, if you want to Spork... I don't care.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Sweetwater demo up, Dont think the L6 rep really knows sells the benefits very well, the video with Paul Hindmarsh is much clearer
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    Pedantic Circles...........good band name..........if a little..... er........negative......... ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27986
    edited April 2018
    impmann said:

the VG8 came out first
    Finally. 

You said something stupid when you claimed that modelling didn't exist before Line 6. At least now you've manned-up and admitted it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 752
    We had a nice thread about the new Line 6 Powercab once upon a time. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    So yeah, Powercab
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    This is all moot anyway. Everyone knows Chuck Norris invented modelling. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Sporky said:
    impmann said:

the VG8 came out first
    Finally. 

You said something stupid when you claimed that modelling didn't exist before Line 6. At least now you've manned-up and admitted it. 

Rule 1 Spork... don’t be a dick.

But yet again you are being one. 

You don’t agree with my POV - fine, I don’t agree with yours. But the difference is, I don’t use insults or negativity and call upon 1st hand experiences - yet you seek to rubbish them, why?  Point scoring is childish, daft and irrelevant to this. Grow up.

As said above, this was about the new L6 product. As I’ve said, I wish it well - it looks great. I’m stepping away from this, I suggest you do similar chap.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Guys FUCK OFF WITH FUCKING STUPID ARGUEMENT. 

Feel free to continue it via pm. Don’t involve the rest of us. Nobody cares who wins. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    Meanwhile, back on topic, I wonder if the plus model will allow for further speaker models to be added, or if there’s a chance this might become a standardised format like IRs. The model list is great but would be good to see stuff like an EV or H-mag Celestion included, as well as some weirder ones like the EMI Cannabis Rex. 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Wheanwhile, back on topic, I wonder if the plus model will allow for further speaker models to be added, or if there’s a chance this might become a standardised format like IRs. The model list is great but would be good to see stuff like an EV or H-mag Celestion included, as well as some weirder ones like the EMI Cannabis Rex. 
    If it's all digital modelling I don't see why not - they've certainly done that with the helix. 
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Thing is some things went back the way...  Spider II head i had (and the spider valve) actually produced some really nice useable sounds very quickly - I'll guess models didn't sound anywhere near lime what they were modelling but own flip side they sounded good..  Tried with a pod xt for months to produce similarly nice sounds (not a single one).

i still find even some of todays modellers have same issue.  By getting too complicated and trying to sound closer to original items they actually took finger off ball on the does it sound properly epic.  With a few exceptions of course.

if speaker works well could be good for some people. 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 288
    Meanwhile, back on topic, I wonder if the plus model will allow for further speaker models to be added, or if there’s a chance this might become a standardised format like IRs. The model list is great but would be good to see stuff like an EV or H-mag Celestion included, as well as some weirder ones like the EMI Cannabis Rex. 
    I would expect the range to be expanded to give an upgrade path and gain more market share. This would be dependent on how well the initial design sells.
  • Guys FUCK OFF WITH FUCKING STUPID ARGUEMENT. 

Feel free to continue it via pm. Don’t involve the rest of us. Nobody cares who wins. 
    argument*

sorry, couldnt resist ;-)

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Guys FUCK OFF WITH FUCKING STUPID ARGUEMENT. 

argument*

Couldn’t* ;)

But we digress. Back on topic - I’m keen to see how well this does and is received and if it causes any more pros to move over to using the Helix etc. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Guys FUCK OFF WITH FUCKING STUPID ARGUEMENT. 

argument*

Couldn’t* ;)

But we digress. Back on topic - I’m keen to see how well this does and is received and if it causes any more pros to move over to using the Helix etc. 

touché pmsl (have a lol)

I'll be looking at a Line 6 powercab at some point I suspect.. haven't really taken to the powered monitor solution for live (I have an ALTO); the idea of a backline cab seems "normal", Old habits die hard I guess.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Well I’m definitely getting one. They’re priced well and promise much - I love modelling but there are aspect of a traditional rig that I still miss. Spoke to Paul Hindmarsh about it briefly and he seems to agree that you’d get a tonal improvement over an L2m (IE the amp in room sound) and it’s a perfectly fine full range wedge in frfr mode.

Just need to figure out if I need the plus or the standard.