Helix + Reaper DAW

Any users here who could share any screenshots of what settings they use if possible?

Am trying to use Reaper to try to record some basic stuff with the amp tones from the Helix.

Btw I'm using a PC with Windows 8.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1561
    Hardware or software / plugin helix?
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Hardware
    What I do when tracking guitars with my helix Lt is use the helix as the interface via usb, monitoring and recording the 'wet' signal, but also recording a dry signal which you can take at the same time on input 7 or 8 (can't remember) - that lets you mess around with re-amping the dry signal later on.

What are you finding difficult? How to set the reaper recording track so that you can hear the wet signal?
    https://line6.com/support/topic/24500-helix-dry-signal-in-reaper-via-usb/

Found this, I'll have a proper look at it tomorrow and hopfully this will show me where I'm going wrong.

Thanks for your help @horse ;

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

I found it quite easy to set up helix with reaper (I'm still a very beginner at it)

the link you shared seems to have most the basics included :)

I've been watching a lot of 'reaperTV' on youtube. He's very good at explaining what he's doing.

Had a quick go on Saturday, but no luck...I'll have to try again, definitely something I'm doing wrong with the settings & not the fault of Reaper/Helix.
    sgosden said:

I've been watching a lot of 'reaperTV' on youtube. He's very good at explaining what he's doing.

Cheers, I'll check out some videos.
  • Have you set Helix as the interface in Reaper’s settings? You may still have it set to default - apologies if you’ve already checked this.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    duotone said:
    Had a quick go on Saturday, but no luck...I'll have to try again, definitely something I'm doing wrong with the settings & not the fault of Reaper/Helix.

are you not getting reaper and helix talking at all?
    sgosden said:
    duotone said:

are you not getting reaper and helix talking at all?
    It must be 'connected' because when I strum some chords on the guitar the yellow bar in Reaper goes up then drops down again until I hit the next chord/notes
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Do you have input monitoring turned on?
    octatonic said:
    Do you have input monitoring turned on?
    Yes.

Can I ask what Global Settings --> Ins/Outs --> Multi you have it set to?

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    If you're using the Helix as your audio interface, do you have your monitors (or headphones) connected to the Helix?

It's not a competition.
    edited May 2018

If you're using the Helix as your audio interface, do you have your monitors (or headphones) connected to the Helix?

No, I have;

Studio Monitors --> Presonus Audiobox iTwo --> USB connected to Laptop  AND THEN Helix LT --> USB connected to Laptop

Maybe this is where I'm messing up?

duotone said:

No, I have;

Studio Monitors --> Presonus Audiobox iTwo --> USB connected to Laptop  AND THEN Helix LT --> USB connected to Laptop

Reaper may well be using the helix as your output device then, which may be the problem.

I believe that reaper prefers a single device for input and output, but may let you split them in 'legacy mode' on windows
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited May 2018
    duotone said:

No, I have;

Almost certainly, yes.

Analog to digital converters are so good now that you don't need to use the digital/USB output of your Helix to record into your DAW.
    Just connect the Helix's output to your soundcard's analog input.
    octatonic said:
    duotone said:

No, I have;

Almost certainly, yes.

Analog to digital converters are so good now that you don't need to use the digital/USB output of your Helix to record into your DAW.
    Just connect the Helix's output to your soundcard's analog input.
    Although using the helix to re-amp is more straight forward if connecting helix via usb
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5373
    edited May 2018
    When I bought my Focusrite interface my mate told me I couldn't have it plugged in to my Windows laptop at the same time as my Yamaha THR amp, so maybe having two USB interfaces running at the same time is causing the conflict.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    DiscoStu said:
    When I bought my Focusrite interface my mate told me I couldn't have it plugged in to my Windows laptop at the same time as my Yamaha THR amp, so maybe having two USB interfaces running at the same time is causing the conflict.
    This ^^^^
    You will need to 'bond' the two audio interfaces. The free ASIO driver asio4all allows you to bond multiple interfaces.
    It will find all compatible audio hardware and allow you to select which ones you want to use.
    You can then see all the selected devices i/o options in Reaper's audio config page when using the asio4all driver instead of your Presonus or Line6 specific drivers.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    Cheers for all the useful advice guys, I'll have a go at setting it up tonight and let you know how I get on.