In Memoriam Allan Holdsworth died 15th April 2017

What's Hot
bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
In Memoriam Allan Holdsworth died 15th April 2017

It is a year to the day since the greatest musician of my lifetime died at the age of 70.

Here's a whole concert of AH at the peak of his powers. In particular check out his solo on "Devil Take The Hindmost", from 33:13 to 36:31, starting with nearly three minutes of soloing over a static G5 chord. His fingers fly across the fretboard, suggesting parallel harmonic structures which circle the main tonal centre ever more allusively.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    I'm having a bit of a Holdsworth trip at the moment. Must get myself a copy of this DVD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5AdkYRm344

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 994
    He is owed a debt of gratitude by many , even if for just for showing what was possible with guitar . I loved his chordal harmony ( and his lines too  ) , best gig i witnessed was ronnie scotts birmingham wardenclyffe era , 3 feet away against the pillar the revelation for me that night was to stop fervently watching trying to unlock the mystery and lean back against the pillar shut my eyes and marvel at the "silvery wine flowing in a spaceship gravity all nonsense now "

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Truly a genius without peer. 
    The first time I ever heard him play was with Bruford and almost 40 years later his artistry is IMHO unmatched.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

one of my faves ....  also check out this chaps interpretation  ;)

Fab rendition of home , love to hear other instruments interpret alans compositions ...
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Busy tomorrow so I'll post this today to mark the 2nd anniversary of his death - enjoying studying his expression from this period in the early 2000s at the moment when he wasn't using a trem arm.

Thanks for the reminder bigjon...  his harmonic sensabilities are greatly missed ...

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    He's still my biggest inspiration, the guy who got me interested in the guitar again. A true musician who should have been a household name. The solos on these tracks are mindblowing

And his solo around 12.20 on Letters of marque is otherwordly

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    15th April 2019. 2 years ago.Jakko Jakszyk has some nice stories about Allan at about the 32 minute mark:

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 733
    Those people who knew, did know............

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."