Car Washing

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
in Off Topic tFB Trader
I know boring topic right...

I'm a bit perplexed about the whole car washing thing.

Up until recently I had two 15 year old cars and as a result I didn't really bother keeping them nice. When I did attempt to keep them clean I didn't have the best time of it.
One time when I took my car to a car wash it didn't really get it clean, another time it ended up stripping a load of the paint off (luckily the owners paid for the car to be repainted) 
I took my car to one of the many Eastern European car washes that seem to be everywhere and they managed to put a bloody great scratch in one of the side windows. 

Now I have a new car and I'd like to keep it in some semblance of nice condition. I have a pressure washer so I could maybe use that.

What do you guys do?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1742
    Bucket of hot water, a cap full of turtle wax wash stuff and sponge. Polish twice a year using a decent make polish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Bucket of water, wash and wax goo, sponge, hose it off.

If I'm feeling really posh, I'll dry it off with a shammy.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3353
    I have a decent car, I usually don't bother washing it, if I do, foam spray, rinse, bucket of hot soapy water and a sponge, wash, rinse, let dry, then wax, or sometimes tcut then wax, fuck all that shit with detailing, two bucket system, blah blah, its a school run taxi, not a 200k supercar.
    My old fanny magnet though, that never gets washed.

https://i.imgur.com/7AIJcaK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Om1787n.jpg

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • When I first got my car back in August I took it to a local place to have it cleaned inside and out, for £55 it wasn't worth it considering most of what they did I could do myself. Try to wash it as often as I can myself, usually use buckets to pour cold water all over the loosen up dirt/grime. Then fill up one bucket with warm water and the car shampoo and the other with cold to rinse (otherwise its putting dirty water back onto the bodywork). Go over in 4 segments, top, sides then front and back. When satisfied I'll rinse off with cold water. Then dry with a microfibre towel. If I have the time I'll polish it up but the car shampoo has wax in it to bring out the shine a bit.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    Take it to asda, let them pre wash the outside and take it through the car wash, costs a tenner, looks fine, its a lease car!
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I always clean it myself using the 2 bucket method and dry it properly. I used Sonax alloy wheel cleaner which makes wheels a doddle. It doesn't take long, maybe 20-30 mins. 

No car washes, no drive through hand washes, no dealer washes it when it's serviced. All of these things can really ruin the paint on your car. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    edited April 2018
    Rain.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    If you value your paintwork, never use a brush, as any grit that gets caught in the brush ends up scratching the paint, and you won't know until you see the scratches.

Best option is to go over it with a pressure washer to get rid of any lose dirt, then go over with a bucket and sponge, before rinsing off. Then add the occasional coat of wax to help moisturise and protect the paint.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 483
    edited April 2018
    Lodious said:
    I always clean it myself using the 2 bucket method and dry it properly. I used Sonax alloy wheel cleaner which makes wheels a doddle. It doesn't take long, maybe 20-30 mins. 

No car washes, no drive through hand washes, no dealer washes it when it's serviced. All of these things can really ruin the paint on your car. 

Very much this especially the drying it off if water spots bother you (they never bothered me until I got a new motor).

Not done mine for a few weeks now due to poor weather and laziness.  If it's nice this weekend I'll be doing a full job of it as well going over it all with a clay bar and finishing off with wax.
  • Now you're talking my language!! 

Massively into detailing an thoroughly enjoy giving my car a full on 5-6 hour going over (a lot longer for paint correction).
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    edited April 2018
    Don't stand too close with the pressure washer.................

Two buckets, one sponge/glove for car and another for the wheels.  Don't use cheap shit car shampoo.

Rinse thoroughly and dry properly including around the doors, boot and bonnet.  Do not drive it to dry it off s

Wax, not polish and no cheap shit wax either, every three months if it lives outside.

Additionally, take off the wheels and clean inside the rims, wax all over, and take the opportunity to clean all the crap off from inside the wheel arch liners and off the brakes and suspension.

Vacuum the inside, remove carpets, wipe everything down with a slightly moist leather and apply non shiny protection to all plastic parts.

Clean and treat the leather seats once a year.

Alternatively, if you want to do it properly.........................

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    Christ sake don't use a sponge.

Use a wash mitt with one bucket with clean water and the other bucket with what ever shampoo you use. Always rinse mitt in the clean bucket of water so you rinse off any dirt/grit which will minimise scratches.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4286

Main dealer service. They always clean it. Job done.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    edited April 2018
    I almost cleaned out some of the old pasty bags the other day, think that's about as close as I get to cleaning the thing. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    Mine gets a more detailed clean once a body has been in it of course.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use the Polish they charge £9 to do the outside of the Kyron and do a better job than I could be arsed to do
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8774
    Generally rely on the elements to sluice off the worst of the grime. 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    Used to be massively into my detailing, best advice would be to join the detailing world forum. Absolute plethora of knowledge on there.

But like others have said, avoid the £5 hand car washes like the plague, use wash mits instead of sponges, if you’ve got time use snow foam before washing (highly recommend bilt hamber auto foam), wash using 2 bucket method, hand polish with something like autoglym super resin polish, or if you have a dark car then poorboys black hole is fantastic, then seal it all in with a decent wax (autoglym ultra high definition wax is great and can easily be found at Halfords). Once polished and waxed you should only really need maintenance washes for a good few months (quick snowfoam, shampoo wash and a dry down).

You can go into a lot more detail, such as claying the car, tar removal etc but it does get time consuming. But be warned, detailing does become very addictive and you may find yourself with OCD rather quick! 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8774
    jakzek said:
    Used to be massively into my detailing, best advice would be to join the detailing world forum. Absolute plethora of knowledge on there.

But like others have said, avoid the £5 hand car washes like the plague, use wash mits instead of sponges, if you’ve got time use snow foam before washing (highly recommend bilt hamber auto foam), wash using 2 bucket method, hand polish with something like autoglym super resin polish, or if you have a dark car then poorboys black hole is fantastic, then seal it all in with a decent wax (autoglym ultra high definition wax is great and can easily be found at Halfords). Once polished and waxed you should only really need maintenance washes for a good few months (quick snowfoam, shampoo wash and a dry down).

You can go into a lot more detail, such as claying the car, tar removal etc but it does get time consuming. But be warned, detailing does become very addictive and you may find yourself with OCD rather quick! 
    ‘Detailing’?!

is this something one can do on one’s front drive in a reasonably respectable neighbourhood?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • JerkMoans said:
    jakzek said:

‘Detailing’?!

is this something one can do on one’s front drive in a reasonably respectable neighbourhood?
    Yeah of course it is. YOu get some funny looks the first few times but neighbors soon get used to it.

I really enjoy the 'missed a bit' or 'you can do mine next' comments!