Bass ID

TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
edited April 2018 in Bass
Picked up a freebie bass from Gumtree and I know absolutely nothing about bass guitars... anyone know what it is? There’s a serial number on the back of the headstock if it helps. All I know is it’s roughly 40 years old. What scale of bargain is it considering it only cost petrol money? All seems to work as it should bar a scratchy volume pot I can switch out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    That's a Sunn Mustang bass. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    Tavernor said:
    it’s roughly 40 years old.
    Oh, no, it isn't.

The ones with an approximation of the Fender headstock and body outline dated back to the Eighties and were made in India. Your pointy headstock and JHS/Encore-esque body example is more recent and will have been made somewhere further East.
    Tavernor said:
    What scale of bargain is it?
    Low cost, home recording songwriter fun. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    OFunkfingers said:
    Tavernor said:
    it’s roughly 40 years old.
    Oh, no, it isn't.

The ones with an approximation of the Fender headstock and body outline dated back to the Eighties and were made in India. Your pointy headstock and JHS/Encore-esque body example is more recent and will have been made somewhere further East.
    Tavernor said:
    What scale of bargain is it?
    Low cost, home recording songwriter fun. 
    owner was pretty sure it was 40 years old, definitely younger? Either way, it should do my bass lines better than an octave pedal..! :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    40 is the new 25...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein