Ibanez Roadstar II RB885 5 String - MIJ 1986 Thanks for advice - now moved to classifieds

PhibTreMorPhibTreMor Frets: 4
edited April 2018 in Bass

This bass has emerged from the grunge of my Sister's attic bedroom, where my nephew had it secreted in its case for maybe 22* years under piles of Warhammer junk.  It was bought second hand around 1996 off the original owner who was a music teacher.  We suspect it was never really played thereafter, nephew wasn't particularly devoted to learning.  I've cleaned it up and it's actually OK. I don't play bass, but I've been having a bit of a laugh with it (since I got it clean). 

Everything is intact, original and controls are smooth and silent.

* more or less

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited April 2018
    Your image link is broken.. should be http://images.talkbass.com/attachments/img_2658-jpg.2822441/
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Both links doing work considering it's history we really need pics and a proper discription, including damage wear  neck warpaint action etc 
  • PhibTreMorPhibTreMor Frets: 4
    edited April 2018
    Update on "Sleeping Beauty" - Link fixed above. thanks
  • Quirky video(no relation) http://youtu.be/YFwIT3_CguI
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Any standard nickel roundwound 5-string set will be fine, the usual gauges are around 40-125 or 45-130.

Just remember that it should be tuned BEADG and not EADGC :). Someone once brought me an old Washburn of about this age which he had tuned to the latter... the neck was like a bow and arrow. It's a tribute to the quality of Japanese instruments like this that after tuning it correctly and adjusting the truss rod, it was absolutely fine!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    It's a tribute to the quality of Japanese instruments like this that after tuning it correctly and adjusting the truss rod, it was absolutely fine!
    Thanks ICBM, yeah I already did some research and found the standard tuning before I started.  Chatting to a couple of strummer mates about it, we decided we hadn't ever thought that the 5th string would be a lower pitch! Despite the fact that it makes complete sense. 

Anyway the guitar was already nearly in tune after all that time; not such a great thing to have left it tuned up, but as you say, it seems like a quality build. 

I've ordered a set of Fender 45-125 and I'll have a look at the neck when they're on.  Relief is currently 2 business cards at the 8th fret with capo on 1st and finger on 17th, so not too far away from OK.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    To answer your flag & comment - if you want to sell it, you need to start a new thread in the Classifieds section with the description, price, photos, etc.

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    Would 1986 be considered as vintage?
    proggy said:
    Some people think it is. It's more than thirty years ago now...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• randellarandella Frets: 4088
    ICBM said:
    proggy said:
    One the one hand it's bad news - I feel my age.  Heard some kids on a bus a few years ago talking about Nirvana and describing them as 'retro'.  Once I got over myself I realised they were probably right.

On the other hand, it's all good news for one of my guitars.  I'm now the proud owner of a vintage Stratocaster.
  • ICBM said:

proggy said:
    Maybe we should conduct a poll, as it's subjective isn't it? There are various definitions available but they seem to be item specific. e.g. Clothing V=100yrs+, Cars V=pre-1930, Cheese V=15mths, whereas musical instruments' vintage credentials seem to vary depending on brand and model.

I found a reasonable concept to consider: for the term vintage to apply to it, an item should be somewhat representational and recognizable as belonging to the era in which it was made, whilst being more than 20 years old.

In the case of this bass, it seems to be entirely in its original form with no modifications, apart from the strings which I suspect will have been replaced once or twice. But hey, the strings on it now must be over 20, so .....  :) :) :)
    I must admit I don't think it's vintage. To me it's an unquestionably 'modern' bass despite its advancing age - modern shape, active electronics, five strings, black hardware.

I'm not sure how old it would have to be before it *is* considered vintage, or if there are other guitars/basses from that era which are, but I don't even think of a 70s MusicMan as *really* being a vintage bass.

I definitely don't think of my '84 Aria guitar as vintage either, even though it's actually quite a lot more 'retro' in everything bar shape - and even was when it was new.

• I'm no authority, it's not worth an argument so let's call it "Non-Vintage".  =)