Three of a kind?

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
I am a bit of a fan of the Epi Sheraton and have two already. I am considering getting a third. 

Other than “because I want to” I have no real reason to get another. Currently I have one with Mississippi Queens P90’s and the other with a lovely set of Bulldog vintage voiced Humbuckers. So the only thing I’d do differently would be to put in a set of hotter pickups in order to get more of a rocky sound. I can get that quite easily from my other two. 

Do you own three of a kind and if so do you find that one never gets played because you’ve got your favourite and then it’s back up so one never leaves it’s case?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    You don't *need* three guitars, but if you like them and you can afford it...

You could get another one and put some more radically different *lower* output pickups in it, like Mojo Gold Foils or something - that's a more difficult sound to get from what you've got now.

I once had three PRSs, two with humbuckers (main and backup/alternate) and one with P90s (bought on a bit of a whim). I sold the P90 one first because I didn't use it as much as the other two, but oddly it's now the one I miss.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    edited April 2018
    I often own 2 of a kind, but I think I would buy 3+ if it was my favourite guitar and they're rare. 

I can't remember where, but I saw someone with an awesome collection of Yamaha SGV/SBV Samurai...

https://screamingyamahas.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/color.jpg

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited April 2018
    I've got three Jazzmasters - an AVRI Thinskin and a pair of modded Squier J Mascises.

The Fender is a 'proper' one and generally only gets used for recording or noodling, whereas the two JMJMs (roller bridges, a Mojo pickup at the bridge and different scratchplates/ knobs) get plenty of use... although the one with a Fender trem gets more use for some reason.

Definitely need three of them though :)

I used to have another which was a Partsmaster and it didn't get used so went the journey. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8772
    edited April 2018
    Something about Jazzmasters...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    I have 6 Strats and I use them all though the 2 bitsas don't get gigged very often.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    Ok so I might have looked at something a the same but a little different. The Yamaha SA2200. 
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I have three Jazzmasters- an '08 Thin Skin, an '86 MIJ and a '94/95 CIJ. All three sound different (the '86 especially after I fitted some Mojo pickups to it) so they all get used.
    If I had any spare money I'd buy more.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9549
    Three Tele type guitars here, but all quite different - US Std, a Thinline, and an Esquire-alike.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I've also got three Telecasters (all partscasters though). They've got distinct "flavours".
    https://i.imgur.com/ESU51ia.jpg

1. "Born to Run" Esquire with OilCity Alligator 90, Eldred wiring & natural rubbed oil finish. 
    2. Cabronita Especiale with genuine Baja neck, Gretsch filtertron, light relic finish.
    3. "Shiflett Tele"- HH, 12" board, thin oil over stain finish. 

The Cab is on gumtree as it sits between the others tonally & gets the least play... So I guess I DON'T need three guitars!  
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    I don't want to encourage you in anyway. I don't want to be responsible for pushing you over the edge....but.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got three Strats, a custom shop with Brazilian rosewood and Abby's, a Fender deluxe ash and maple neck with SVLs and a American Strat with custom shop pickups all sound different but the CS is my go to guitar.
  • And I should add no GAS
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    You don’t need three guitars, so there’s absolutely no possible way you could make a case for needing three of a specific model. 

Unburden yourself from such constraints and buy it. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited April 2018
    Three Strats: 

Original 1969 hardtail in Mocha, with maple-cap neck
    2010 Limited Edition USA Standard in Daphne Blue with matching headstock, & Delta Tone
    2004 50th Anniversary USA American Deluxe, 2-tone sunburst, 2-point pop-in trem, locking machines, abalone inlays, gold fittings, S1 switching, Bill Lawrence p/ups, 1-piece laser etched parchment scratchplate & 50th case. 

photo 20180324_124139_zpsrxzw8sbpjpg
    photo 8273727317b41545854341b106645da1_zpsed543261jpeg
    photo 100_0411_zps576532c8jpg
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    I've also got three Telecasters (all partscasters though). They've got distinct "flavours".
    https://i.imgur.com/ESU51ia.jpg

1. "Born to Run" Esquire with OilCity Alligator 90, Eldred wiring & natural rubbed oil finish. 
    2. Cabronita Especiale with genuine Baja neck, Gretsch filtertron, light relic finish.
    3. "Shiflett Tele"- HH, 12" board, thin oil over stain finish. 

The Cab is on gumtree as it sits between the others tonally & gets the least play... So I guess I DON'T need three guitars!  
    I thought I’d seen that red La Cab that’s up on the local FB groups before ! 
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    That Cabronita is beautiful and I demand that you post it!
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2913
    Three SGs.

They're different enough from each other thanks to each having different pickups, but there's also a mix of neck profiles, fretboard material, coil splitting, etc. What's odd is the black one gets the least play - yet every time I play it, I think it's probably the best of the bunch! It might be because it seems to be the least inspiring visually - the others make me want to grab them and play them.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4669
    I've got that third Sheraton that you need - Stormy Mondays, Tonepros bridge and tailpiece, fancy new 50's loom with CTS pots and bumblebees and locking Grovers, all in chrome/nickel
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    rlw said:
    I've got that third Sheraton that you need - Stormy Mondays, Tonepros bridge and tailpiece, fancy new 50's loom with CTS pots and bumblebees and locking Grovers, all in chrome/nickel
    Colour?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4669
    edited April 2018
    shaunm said:
    rlw said:
    Colour?
    Sunburst. With a black three ply Scratchplate from Jacks.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.