A Perfect Circle - where have I been?

What's Hot
I like Tool a lot so I don’t how I managed it, but until this week I knew nothing of this band or that it was a Maynard James Keenan project. New album is out, I like what I hear. This new song sounds at first quite commercial poppy, but soon gets darker and lyrically heavy.

https://youtu.be/r03V9OEJlgg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1024
    edited April 2018
    The first A Perfect Circle album (Mer De Noms) is a masterpiece imo. Not quite up to Lateralus or Aenima standards but honestly not far behind. 
    The albums since the debut I haven't liked as much but they honestly set the bar way too high. I'll give the new album a go today methinks. Didn't even realise it was coming out until I saw people post pictures of it on Instagram. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27944
    You might also like Ashes Divide - it's the songwriter chap from APC's band. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    I've been following APC since Mer de nom was released, they're fantastic. Seen them a few times and got tickets for them at Brixton in June. Can't wait! 
    Welcome to the club! 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I got their new album yesterday and it's great, quite mellow.  

Their cover of Peace, Love and Understand is better than the original IMO.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    Never really got into APC.

For me Puscifer are the best of the Tool related band (in many ways I prefer them to Tool). 
    I really like about half of Puscifers output, some of it I just don't click with at all. He is an amazing artist though. 
  • Nice one; I now have three bands’ back catalogues to investigate :) 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5435
    Listened to the new album on Friday, it's pretty good and has a nice Gothic overtone that I like. But Mer de Noms is a masterpiece.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    Nice one; I now have three bands’ back catalogues to investigate :) 
    -for Puscifer albums I'd start with "Money Shot" followed by "Conditions of My Parole". 

Saw them at Pink Pop a few years ago and they were brilliant. Great stage show. Amusingly afterwards I looked on YouTube for footage from the festival and discovered me and my mates were standing about 20 feet in front of one of the cameras with no one behind us, we feature repeatedly in this video:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    I got their new album yesterday and it's great, quite mellow.  

Their cover of Peace, Love and Understand is better than the original IMO.

that's magic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice one; I now have three bands’ back catalogues to investigate :) 
    -for Puscifer albums I'd start with "Money Shot" followed by "Conditions of My Parole". 

Saw them at Pink Pop a few years ago and they were brilliant. Great stage show. Amusingly afterwards I looked on YouTube for footage from the festival and discovered me and my mates were standing about 20 feet in front of one of the cameras with no one behind us, we feature repeatedly in this video:

Wow that’s an awesome performance. Carina Round has some cool solo stuff in youtube- another great discovery for me :)

Been listening to Eat the Elephant; sounds great, there are some outstanding pieces of music; I’m really digging it. Epic is the word. 
  • Just watched this 4 part film on Maynard's thoughts on music, wine, food, art, community, martial arts and mortality. Deeply interesting and inspiring. 

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2321
    There are some fanastically dark tracks on the new album. I've just re-discovered how much I like their music.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    My mate at work is in raptures over Eat The Elephant and keeps recommending them to me
    I've had two listens through. It's quite decent..
    Got it today so I've had one listen through. I have to say I'm very disappointed, not because it isn't any good but cos it's not APC. I'm sure I'll like it given more listens but it does lack what I really liked about Mer De Nom and Less so Thirteenth step.
    I don't get how it's "not APC". To me there are a lot of recognizable musical motifs, particularly if you listened to Ashes Divide.

It's eighteen years since Mer; I'd expect any band to progress musically over that sort of period. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    Absolutely and I like that they haven't remained static, but stylistically it's much more Puscifer than APC. I'm not knocking it but it's not what I've waited 13 years for.
    I do have Billys project album and that sounds way more like APC, can definitely hear his influence over all three previous albums.

Edit: 15 yrs since thirteenth step! Not counting Emotive as a proper album.
  • OwendtsOwendts Frets: 0
    I had completely forgotten about them until recently 
    Another listen and it's growing on me much more, need to manage my expectations better :)