Shops with decent second hand kit?

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
Fingers crossed we will be moving into our first house in the next few months. And my allocated guitar room is diddy. 

So I am thinking about possibly moving gear on or selling stuff to raise funds for pedestrian stuff like a washing machine etc. 

I'm interested in possibly pxing gear, a guitar for a bass that sort of thing. Any shops I should be looking at? Looked at Coda, richtone, Andertons, guitar village, guitar guitar. Any others? 
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited April 2018
    You'll be much better off selling for the most part.

PMT seem to take in a lot of second hand gear.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited April 2018
    Selling yourself will net you more but the market is sloooow at the moment so you need to have patience. 

P/X - Coda, Peach, Sound Affects Premier and World Guitars (who will likely only take higher-end kit) are very fair and those would be my first choices. 

Anderton’s are very upfront about their numbers but tend to lowball a little IME. 

I would avoid the big boxes (Guitar Guitar/PMT) as their reputation is a little skeezy when it comes to trade ins (buy in for next to nothing, sell atrociously high). 

GV is the wildcard - I’ve never p/xed there personally and don’t know anyone who has. Could be great, could be average...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    edited April 2018
    Depends where you are and what you want - there are some great shops (who always have funky SH stuff) near me (Midlands), although I can’t help but think you would probably be better off selling/trading/swapping on here...

EDIT: Ah, you’re in Bristol.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    edited April 2018
    Thanks guys. Yeah I don't mind travelling @HarrySeven. I put most of the guitars into cases over the weekend and thought..sod this. 
    I think I'm going to wait until I move in. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    DrJazzTap said:
    Thanks guys. Yeah I don't mind travelling @HarrySeven. I put the most of the guitars into cases over the weekend and thought..sod this. 

Might help (initially) if you posted a kind of feeler thread? "These might be going and I'm looking for..." sort of thing?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    HarrySeven said:j
    DrJazzTap said:
    Thanks guys. Yeah I don't mind travelling @HarrySeven. I put the most of the guitars into cases over the weekend and thought..sod this. 
    Exactly. Give us a list, buddy. Ca
    Might help (initially) if you posted a kind of feeler thread? "These might be going and I'm looking for..." sort of thing?
    Yeah, give us a list. Our GAS is here to help!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Limehouse_BluesLimehouse_Blues Frets: 1160
    edited April 2018
    I’ve done a couple of decent PXs in the past at GAK. Sure I could’ve got more selling privately but GAK’s PX offers were much better than Andertons.
    edited April 2018
    I’ve done a couple of decent PXs in the past at GAK. Sure I could’ve got more selling privately but GAK’s PX offers were much butter than Andertons.
    They have a good spread of guitars there...
    Did you get to jam on them?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have a lol!

both transactions as smooth as butter.

and price wise the bid / offer spread at GAK is that bit tighter.
    Thanks. You've edited your original post which (wonderfully) now gives me the opportunity to say that "I can't believe it's not butter".....!

I'll leave it there. I don't want you worrying that I am going to Stork your posts from now on.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I have had good trade in values at Guitar Village and shocking ones at Guitar Guitar and Andertons. To be honest they are pretty open about their valuations but the offers are much lower than you’d get selling privately. 
  • Hattigol said:
    Thanks. You've edited your original post which (wonderfully) now gives me the opportunity to say that "I can't believe it's not butter".....!

I'll leave it there. I don't want you worrying that I am going to Stork your posts from now on.
    If it had one to begin with this thread’s completely lost its anchor 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm in Bristol too, Worth trying Electric Ladyland. Steve the owner is a great guy and very open and honest. Really knows his stuff and is a no BS guy. You might already know of him if you're in Bristol but if you don't i can PM you. Other than that their is Treblerock but I have dealt with them much. They seem nice but again i think they would give you a lowball offer. Electric Ladyland is always my preference. 
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716

If you take them to a shop they'll have to make their profit on top so you'll never get as much as if you sell yourself. Try Gumtree, cost nothing to sell on there. Ebays got a huge marketplace but they screw you on fees and then when your funds go into PayPal they take there cut as well!

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Well, there's a guitar fair in Bristol this weekend...

http://www.guitarshowsuk.co.uk/
    Hattigol said:

If it had one to begin with this thread’s completely lost its anchor 
    I have invented alphabet butter. Can you help me spread the word?
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Jack_ said:
    You'll be much better off selling for the most part.

PMT seem to take in a lot of second hand gear.
    The Bristol branch has sod all second hand, if they do take them in in trade or whatever they must be moving them elsewhere, they sure don't resell them in their store.
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    Richtone won’t offer you much for secondhand gear (cash anyway, not sure on trade ins) but their secondhand prices always seem pretty competitive so it makes sense. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    Thanks guys it's mainly the tokai es130 I'm thinking about at the moment. Keep thinking of stupid things like getting an orange rockerverb. A) I don't gig b) i don't really play heavy metal. I'm gonna wait until I'm settled and see what I can squeeze in etc.