Vibrato at the top of bends, struggling.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• neilgneilg Frets: 94
    Levi recently had a video on this

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    edited April 2018
    Keith Lemon gives a an excellent tutorial here. This is exactly how I do it, but he is much better! 

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    Fuengi said:
    Keith Lemon gives a an excellent tutorial here. This is exactly how I do it, but he is much better! 

That does seem to be causing him inordinate pain though, judging by his facial expressions!
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    edited April 2018
    vibrato at the top of notes I bring the whole forearm into it. Sort of lock the wrist and bring more strength to bear. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Samgb said:
    ...A super low action is not going to help either you need to get hold of the string almost.

I also struggle when the action is low, and I'm more comfortable with a medium to medium high action. However, I think some players seem OK with a low action, but perhaps they have frets that are on the high side to get enough skin under the string.
    Maybe. My tele is very much a modern guitar with nice big frets and is easier to get the bends and vibrato. my strat is a 50s CP and maybe the more old school frets are what makes it slightly more work to play  
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Some great advice here, thank you to you all. I seem to have gotten closer to my goal but it's very shabby, I think I've picked up a bad habit where I bend the string and then try for the vibrato by using the natural weight of the neck, in essence shaking the guitar by the neck and letting the weight do the work. It sort of works but it's not the best technique. I'll keep at it.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    to be honest whatever works is fine. Otherwise none of us would have our thumbs over the neck!
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
     study some videos of Angus Young. That's his signature stand out playing usp.  His bent string vibrato is second to none.  
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
     study some videos of Angus Young. That's his signature stand out playing usp.  His bent string vibrato is second to none.  
    *cough* Paul Kossoff *cough*
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    Cols said:
    Indeed. In fact didn't AC/DC tour with Free back in the day? 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    You can use two fingers instead of one, for extra strength.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Cols said:
    Indeed. In fact didn't AC/DC tour with Free back in the day? 
    Slightly before their time, but they were meant to tour with Paul Kossoff's solo effort Back Street Crawler before he inconsiderately died on them.

Free did tour with Blind Faith.  Eric Clapton famously engaged Kossoff backstage and asked him to demonstrate how he got that fantastic vibrato.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Kossoff along with Greeny are my inspiration. I don't think we should forget Danny Kirwan either, he had a very intense vibrato.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom