Mixer maintenance advice requested

What's Hot
I recently got a Mackie 1202-VLZ mixer for like 20 quid. It seems like a competent mixer and fits my needs well but I suspect it needs a good clean and the sockets seem a bit intermittent, but bearing in mind how much I paid for it I'm reluctant to spend any money on getting it fixed up. With this in mind, what's the best way of cleaning the sockets/pots?

I'm reasonably competent around electronics, so I don't mind taking it apart if that is necessary.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Servisol spray and cotton buds will suffice for cleaning most of the sockets and variable resistor tracks. 

wave100 said:
    Mackie 1202-VLZ ... seems like a competent mixer
    It is.

Download the manual here.  https://supportloudtech.netx.net/loud-public/#/asset/10654
    Be seeing you.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I tend to use IPA for cleaning electronic stuff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHL-BRAND-ISOPROPANOL-Isopropyl-Alcohol/dp/B003D8QFR8/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1524354001&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=ipa

Servisol leaves a residue to lubricate things, IPA evaporates. Either would do (I use both)
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• LuminousLuminous Frets: 210

That's the basic technique there.....just apply to your mixer...happy to help.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Luminous said:

That's the basic technique there.....just apply to your mixer...happy to help.
    Thanks for that Andy... I reckon that LP is only good for clean sounds now!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    I tend to use IPA for cleaning electronic stuff

You should perhaps point out that's not IPA ale...
    Would CPU thermal paste cleaner work? I have some of that and the likelihood of me using a whole bottle to clean thermal paste in my lifetime is extremely small.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    No, that removes everything, use a switch cleaner designed for contact cleaning. 

Inserts are a common cause of channel faults as the contacts corrode and no longer mate when nothings inserted .... to check for those get a stereo jack \ TRS and wire the tip and ring tongether ... if the channel is then fine with that inserted you know the insert socket is playing up

Once apart I would normally resolder all jack and XRL joints to be on the safe side and check all ribbon cables 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Ok, thanks for the advice guys.