Does anyone use an electric fan when gigging?

What's Hot
hasslehamhassleham Frets: 598
Bit of a silly question perhaps but last summer we were getting boiling hot in some venues where they seemed to insist on having the heating on even when it was 30 degrees outside and we were talking about getting some fans to keep cooler. 
Do any of you take fans to function gigs? Any recommendations for something small but powerful and not too noisy?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Yes.
    I sweat buckets if I turn the page too quick, as a consequence I have a small one that always travels with me. In the past when we had a big PA and trailer I had a huge 18" fan and another 10" for he horns at the back plus a small one trained on the power amp racks.
    No point in suffering unessaccarily for my art. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Just don' point it at the mics because the wind noise goes through the PA.
    Any cheap fan works and noise is not an issue.

• adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Nah....blows the dry ice away  ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    I only use real fans since the 'incident'.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    You need the Wampler hair metal pedal, that will give you a great “hair blowing in the wind” effect!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I saw an Alt-J gig and the drummer had one as a part of his kit, down low at his 2 o’clock. The roadie switched it on just before they started. 
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    Our singer has one but I try and stay out of the airstream as it can affect my guitars tuning. We've played places where they don't turn the heating of even in a heat wave, mad with the cost of energy these days.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Yep, this one. Our singer loves it but she knows I like to stay out of its way. 

She's caught her hair in it twice and the earphone lead from her IEM pack in it once - which breaks the ice on those slow gigs. 
    :)

http://i66.tinypic.com/29p55r5.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweavesweave Frets: 65
    Our drummer uses one of the Dyson ones in the summer. Extremely quiet and effective - the fan that is.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Fans are a bit old hat. Air con all the way these days.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I’m not a fan :)
    whikst they do cool you down they dehydrate me hellishly. I can’t take in enough liquid to compensate and at the end of the night feel pretty shocking
    maybe ok for guitarists only but did for me as a singer too

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    yes have used one for years. loads of the places we play are  oven like.  
  • A couple of times I had a rotating desktop fan on a table behind my amp. TBH I was more worried about the amp overheating. I was living hand-to-mouth and my amp n' guitar cost nearly two month's wages! :)
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Sure do - most the venues we play are searingly hot and I always end up next to a radiator that cant be turned off.

I'll usually put it on my little table I balance the mixer on for a nice breeze in my face - or on the floor aining up at my gentleman's area.

Drummer got this huge industrial floor fan to keep him alive but that really ruined the work the haze machine was trying to do so he got a couple of clip-on fans that attach to his kit chromework.

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Only if my hair is long enough ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    I'm not keen on fans on stage. I feel the cold quite easily, and a fan blowing over sweaty skin can make me feel quite chilly. I'd rather feel hot than cold.