P Bass Affinity pickguard

misterpetemisterpete Frets: 36
Got myself a bargain Squier Affinity P Bass, the pickguard was badly scratched so I binned it but now I find I can’t find one to fit it. It has 14 screw holes instead of 13, anyone know where I can source one? 
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited April 2018
    Assuming that the outline of the Affinity P 'guard closely resembles that of other P Bass variants, the simplest solution is obtain a 13-hole 'guard and drill the necessary fifteenth screw hole in the body to fasten it. This is hardly going to reduce the *vintage/collectable* value of your instrument.

One possible cheat would be to source a Seventies style 'guard. On these, the thumb rest and accompanying screw holes are positioned along the upper edge of the 'guard. One or other of the two larger screw holes in the plastic might align with the screw holes in the body. Failing that, obtain a thumb rest and use it to disguise the problem.

If I am wrong about the Affinity 'guard outline, alternative 'guards may leave some of the control cavity exposed and not fit snugly around the neck. In that case, only a genuine Affinity series part will do. Talk to retailers of genuine Fender parts.

the pickguard was badly scratched so, I binned it
    Pity. It might have served as a template for getting a replacement made.

Complaining that one's scratchplate is scratched is a bit like complaining that one's mudguards are dirty. That's what they're there for.

FWIIW, I have the original black/white/black 'guard from the Squier VM P Bass in my avatar. I had been saving it for a project but, as we all know, projects do not always reach completion.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Hey thanks for your input, I realise that probably I am going to have to try and make a standard guard fit, just thought it was worth asking the question. The neck cut out needs enlarging as does the pickup hole, but I will just drill the screw holes.
    btw, to say it was scratched is a bit of an understatement, it was a mess, which is why I probably got it for pennies, but yes, I should have kept it!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    just thought it was worth asking the question.
    It was. Maybe, somebody in tFB land has upgraded the pickguard on their Squier Affinity P Bass and has the original single-ply item available for sale.

The neck cut out needs enlarging as does the pickup hole
    If anything, I would be worried about the Affinity neck being narrower across the heel than the neck cut out on a regular P Bass pickguard. 

to say it was scratched is a bit of an understatement
    Sounds like the beginning of a refurbishment project.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.