My 8 year old wants to learn piano?

What's Hot
So I need an electric piano, not a synth, just a piano, any recommendations? Advice? I have no idea about pianos. Cant be a strung type as I don't want the maintenance issues.
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• moogie72moogie72 Frets: 77
    Roland Go Piano, has Bluetooth and other bits so can do lessons on iPad or phone , seen them knocking about for as low as 100 second hand 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    edited April 2018
    Fundamentally, you want weighted keys.  That tends to start from around £350 new.  You can find older ones cheaper second hand.

We bought a Roland FP30 for our daughter.  Very pleased with it.  That's £539 but is a step up from some of the cheaper ones.  I was playing for an event where we rehearsed at our house.  The piano player for that event teaches piano for a living, and he called me up the next week to ask the model number to recommend to a student.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3355
    I am thinking we need something more piano like, any buttons or things might be a distraction, she will hopefully be taking one on one lessons with a teacher. What I have no clue about is things like weighted keys, number of keys etc. I am thinking a second hand Yamaha YDP type thing?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27578
    My wife learnt on a Casio CDP-120. Weighted keys, not too many options, decent sound. I think there is a 130 now for not daft money. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited April 2018
    robgilmo said:
    I have no idea about pianos. 
    Indeed.

robgilmo said:
    I need an electric piano
    Electric Piano equates to Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer et cetera. I think that you mean a digital piano. 

I'm not just being pedantic for the hell of it. These terms are important when buying - especially mail order or pre-owned.

crunchman said:
    you want weighted keys.
    At the very least! Hammer action is desirable. Eighty eight keys. 

robgilmo said:
    I am thinking we need something more piano like, any buttons or things might be a distraction, she will hopefully be taking one on one lessons with a teacher.
    If your daughter is attending lessons at the teacher's venue and, initially, learning on the tutor's instrument, the obvious thing to do is ask the tutor to recommend his or her idea of an instrument suitable for home study.

This video compares two Yamaha P Series instruments that should be affordable pre-owned. Jump to 16:00 to hear how they sound.

If you have a powerful home computer, the alternative approach is to use a MIDI Controller keyboard to trigger piano sounds that are hosted in the computer or tablet.

Be seeing you.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    We have a 2nd hand Clavinova. Pretty nice to play but some models have better actions than others. My mum's clavinova is brilliant, plays like an absolute dream.

Find a decent teacher though. My childhood teacher was terrible, miserable old woman. My girls go to a brilliant teacher, very inspiring.
    Thanks guys, first step will be to see what teachers we have in the area, we are pretty much out in the middle of nowhere so I doubt there will be much choice.
  • I recently bought the Yamaha p115 for my 2 kids to learn one 11 and one 7  it does the job beautifully, highly recommended by me if thats worth anything
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    edited May 2018
    88 note weighted board is a MUST to learn piano on.

While its difficult to judge how much to spend on one so young, and while not a lot more £ gets you quite a bit better play ability and sound the Yam P45, Roland FP 30  (the yam P115 and Roland FP60 get you a good jump up in quality if you justify it)are good.  There both "stage" piano format so you'll need pedal/s a stand (though both have internal speakers).  The Casio CDP-130 is cheaper and very good for the money.

If you want a more piano look - and have the space for it permanently available, the Casio  PX770 is probably the place to start. Its a very good all round machine for Just over £500.

Dont rule out the Casios.....They give the very best elec pianos a run for their money (at the top end of Casios range) and are highly regarded in this field.

Of course you should try the contenders if you can - and if you can find a used example of the one you like all the better at this stage.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Sporky said:
    My wife learnt on a Casio CDP-120. Weighted keys, not too many options, decent sound. I think there is a 130 now for not daft money. 
    Yep the Casio Privias are popular for a reason.

Also the Yamaha P series - this is what we ended up with for my son - full size, fully weighted, cot about 500 at the time but he never had any trouble going between that and actual pianos 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited May 2018
    There is a Casio Privia PX-730 close to me on eBay, would that be a decent thing to buy? There is also a px110 , its more money and further away, would that be overkill do you reckon?
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited May 2018

crunchman said:
    you want weighted keys.
    At the very least! Hammer action is desirable. Eighty eight keys. 

Eighty nine if you want to lock the lid. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Get a cheap Casio for the first 6 months- you can get one for under £100 on gumtree.
    If he continues to show an interest then come back and think about spending a bit more.
    I think something cheap might put her off, Id rather something decent to start her off on , we can always sell it on of she doesnt pick it up. Birthday is Thursday so I have to find one by then.
    So a Casio AP 500 has turned up locally, anyone have any experience with these?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I've been teaching myself on a Yamaha Reface CP. The built in speakers are surprisingly acceptable and it's nice being able to mess around with the effects, which instantly make you sound like what you're playing is more interesting even when it's really basic.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    robgilmo said:
    Looks perfect - did she like it?
    Yeah man, she is soo over the moon with it, its her first proper thing, the wee man is curious but he's more of a guitar man, he bashes keys like he bashes guitars so we keep him at a safe distance! We need to get a decent teacher now but she can play twinkle twinkle already, Im sooooooooo proud!!!!

https://i.imgur.com/aedWvux.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2gL9w8C.jpg

This piano is the tits though, I want to learn it too..... 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    robgilmo said:
    Yeah man, she is soo over the moon with it, its her first proper thing, the wee man is curious but he's more of a guitar man, he bashes keys like he bashes guitars so we keep him at a safe distance! We need to get a decent teacher now but she can play twinkle twinkle already, Im sooooooooo proud!!!!

https://i.imgur.com/aedWvux.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2gL9w8C.jpg

This piano is the tits though, I want to learn it too..... 

You’ve just made a lifelong keys player right there... brilliant!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom