A Perfect Circle - where have I been?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    I think it’s awful, it sounds like Keane. Not even rock music. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    I listened to it last night, prompted by this thread, and on first listen I quite liked it, apart from a couple of tracks.  It's a bit more subdued than I'd like, but they're good songs and Maynard's voice is holding up well.

That said, I was never a big fan.  I've got Mer de Noms but hadn't played it for years, I put it on after the new album yesterday and got fed up after a couple of tracks. YMMV and all that.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28034
    ftumch said:
    Absolutely and I like that they haven't remained static, but stylistically it's much more Puscifer than APC. I'm not knocking it but it's not what I've waited 13 years for.
    I do have Billys project album and that sounds way more like APC, can definitely hear his influence over all three previous albums.

Ah, yes, I get your point. I think Maynard may have had more influence on this one than he did on the previous.

There's definitely bits that sound very APC/Ashes Divide to me, and I think it's "better" overall than 13th Step or the one I've forgotten the name of, but so far there isn't a track that really stands out like The Noose or Weak & Powerless (fer example), and it's not as surprising and rich as Mer. Early days and only a few listens and all that though.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324

There are definitely some dark rock tracks on the album. The guys who love the heavier side probably won't be massively into it.

As a person who dislikes middle of the road boring pop like Keane, I have to say that the new APC piano tracks are way more like Radiohead than anything else. Not in the actual sound but the atmosphere. Definitely way more experimental and dark than Keane!

• The last minute of Delicious is beautiful and somewhat Smashing Pumpkinsy - did James Iha have a part in this - I do wonder how much guitar he plays on the album.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    Sporky said:
    ftumch said:
    Absolutely and I like that they haven't remained static, but stylistically it's much more Puscifer than APC. I'm not knocking it but it's not what I've waited 13 years for.
    I do have Billys project album and that sounds way more like APC, can definitely hear his influence over all three previous albums.

Ah, yes, I get your point. I think Maynard may have had more influence on this one than he did on the previous.

There's definitely bits that sound very APC/Ashes Divide to me, and I think it's "better" overall than 13th Step or the one I've forgotten the name of, but so far there isn't a track that really stands out like The Noose or Weak & Powerless (fer example), and it's not as surprising and rich as Mer. Early days and only a few listens and all that though.
    I liked Ashes Divide, it sounded great but I don't think the songs were as strong, it missed the influence of the other guys/gals.
    Maynard def had a lot more to do with the song writing here id say, I wonder how much he did on Mer? I know with the tool albums he doesn't even get involved until the tracks are all down (I think so anyway.) 
    No there aren't any in your face tracks, I wanted another Judith or Pet tbh. Still good though, more subtle.
  • In the interviews I posted above he says that he writes lyrics to the music after it's completed by the others, so I'm not so sure he has a role in the songwrting apart from the vocals.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    edited April 2018
    The last minute of Delicious is beautiful and somewhat Smashing Pumpkinsy - did James Iha have a part in this - I do wonder how much guitar he plays on the album.
    None, apparently.  Billy Howerdel plays pretty much everything except the drums.  I was reading about it as I was listening.  Most of this was written on keyboards, which may explain the relative lack of heavy stuff.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320

There are definitely some dark rock tracks on the album. The guys who love the heavier side probably won't be massively into it.

As a person who dislikes middle of the road boring pop like Keane, I have to say that the new APC piano tracks are way more like Radiohead than anything else. Not in the actual sound but the atmosphere. Definitely way more experimental and dark than Keane!

The 1st track on the new album nicks the chords from 'The Greatest' by Cat Power ftr
  • Philly_Q said:
    The last minute of Delicious is beautiful and somewhat Smashing Pumpkinsy - did James Iha have a part in this - I do wonder how much guitar he plays on the album.
    None, apparently.  Billy Howerdel plays pretty much everything except the drums. 

Will anyone let Iha play on their record?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    He's dropped out of the tour bc commitments to the Pumpkins. So basically he's done nothing. Guitarist from failure is replacing him.

Superb live. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    I heard a couple of tracks off it today and thought they sounded almost exactly like Biffy Clyro.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Superb live. 
    That is excellent. The album gets better with each listen. It’s deep, layered, moody, broody, intelligent. Along with Sleep’s The Sciences, my best album of 2018 so far. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Despite being 37, I ended up having to argue on a Youtube comment thread that Maynard is indeed singing live. Obviosuly they have effects on his voice and perhaps some sort of backing track providing the delayed/washy parts, but he is singing live. It's obvious, due to the fact he goes EVER so slightly out of tune at the beginning because he is a human, and the fact he changes some of the lyrics to less servere swearing.