Top Luthiers

What's Hot
Hi

In my long search for the perfect acoustic I've come to realise that I'm going to find it difficult to get exactly what I want from one of the major brands (Martin, Taylor, Gibson etc.). Just wondering if you could point me in the direction of some reputed UK-based Luthiers that take on custom builds? I've been looking at Brook and they seem like a nice option and also sensibly priced.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Check out Nick Benjamin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fylde to a point, Moon, Chris Eccleshall, Johnny Kincade
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 274
    Turnstone or Alex Bishop
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Colin Fulton makes wonderful flat tops. Google "Fulton Guitars".
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    Atkin guitars. Forester guitars of this parish. In fact, lots of really good makers out there.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• KDSKDS Frets: 220
    Brook
  • james millman in bideford
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4286

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• LewyLewy Frets: 4124
    It depends what you want. Most luthiers, even if they'll build you whatever you ask for, have a bit of a niche that they naturally have more of a passion for. So for a smaller bodied guitar, I'd go to Dave King. For a dreadnought, Alister Atkin. If I was after a less American sound it might be someone else (although I have no interest in that sort of guitar so wouldn't have a go-to name for that).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3488
    Lewy said:
    It depends what you want. Most luthiers, even if they'll build you whatever you ask for, have a bit of a niche that they naturally have more of a passion for. 
    That's bang on. 

To the OP, I'd ask what your budget is and what kind of guitar you are after for size, neck shape and tonal character.  I believe the type of music you play should have an input into the type of guitar you are after.  

If possible I'd recommend making a trip to TAMCO as it's an absolute great place to try a number of different single luthier built guitars in different sizes, tonalities and wood configurations.  

IMO, it's important to find what suits your needs and not the needs of someone else/the most fashionable or popular in the particular niche
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    Lewy said:
    It depends what you want. Most luthiers, even if they'll build you whatever you ask for, have a bit of a niche that they naturally have more of a passion for. 
    That's bang on. 

To the OP, I'd ask what your budget is and what kind of guitar you are after for size, neck shape and tonal character.  I believe the type of music you play should have an input into the type of guitar you are after.  

If possible I'd recommend making a trip to TAMCO as it's an absolute great place to try a number of different single luthier built guitars in different sizes, tonalities and wood configurations.  

IMO, it's important to find what suits your needs and not the needs of someone else/the most fashionable or popular in the particular niche
    Thanks for your replies everyone. Ideallynim not looking to spend too much more than £3000, hence why Brook seems quite appealing. I'm looking for a small bodied, American voiced guitar, preferably 12 fret but this isn't imperative. I thought the Brook OM may fit the bill. Alternatively, Dave King and Alister Atkin seem like good options.

Thanks for your replies everyone. Ideallynim not looking to spend too much more than £3000, hence why Brook seems quite appealing. I'm looking for a small bodied, American voiced guitar, preferably 12 fret but this isn't imperative. I thought the Brook OM may fit the bill. Alternatively, Dave King and Alister Atkin seem like good options.
    Dave King would definitely be my destination with that brief.
    I like Brook guitars a lot but I wouldn't really describe them as being traditional American in voice, but they have a new OM model which may be more traditional in character. 

Of the UK based luthiers I am aware of who make acoustics in the traditional Martin aesthetic (I presume that is your preference?) in addition to the ones already named they include Kelday and Bown.  They are both above the £3k price mark, but I have seen the latter appear S/H in your price range. 

In the Czech republic Rozawood make Martin style guitars and are highly respected and you would be able to get a guitar with your budget. 
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited April 2018
    Nick Benjamin and Richard Osbourne. Both amazing instruments!

http://www.osborneguitars.co.uk

You can even do a guitar building course and come away with a fine guitar! One day that will be good to do
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    I own a lovely Brook Taw, which sounds great to my ears (Bubinga with a Spruce top) and plays well. It's similar in body size, but it's not an OM - I didn't want one, in either sound or feel. Atkin make some really nice OM clones.

I've liked every Atkin and Brook I've ever played, BTW. Saving up for a Brook Tavy right now...  
    Can you specify neck profile with Brook? I’ve read quite a few people saying “I like them but don’t get on with the thin necks” and it always makes me wonder whether you can or can’t opt for a chunkier one....
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    Lewy said:
    Can you specify neck profile with Brook? I’ve read quite a few people saying “I like them but don’t get on with the thin necks” and it always makes me wonder whether you can or can’t opt for a chunkier one....
    I don't know. I bought mine at Project Music after playing several, so it wasn't built for me. Although I did make a workshop visit a few months later, so they could tweak the guitar slightly once it settled down. Lovely people working in a lovely setting. Definitely a workshop and not a factory.

I'm sure they'll build whatever you ask for unless it's a stupid idea or totally against their ethos (whatever their ethos is). 
    Lewy said:
    Can you specify neck profile with Brook? I’ve read quite a few people saying “I like them but don’t get on with the thin necks” and it always makes me wonder whether you can or can’t opt for a chunkier one...
    Andy & Simon the main two guys at Brook are gents and would definitely go for chunkier necks if custom ordered. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Lewy said:
    That's bang on. 

Have you been to codas acoustic shop or express music in Coventry?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    Lewy said:
    That's bang on. 

Have you been to codas acoustic shop or express music in Coventry?
    Haven't made the trip yet no, coda is in Stevenage right?