Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Blackstar HT MK2 Amps

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    Neil said:
    Neil said:
    Re the Seiko 5, I am a big fan of Seiko but to lump a 5 in with a Rolex because it has cogs and springs is like lumping a Ford Fiesta in with a Rolls Royce.  Same sort of bits.  

The Fiesta is much more useful and usable though?  I used to have one with a little camera in the back, you could parallel park in tiny little spaces, was great.  I'd literally never want a Rolls Royce, big stupid overpriced lumps of cars.

I think watches came up, in another thread as well, raised by me, about the perception of quality with expensive guitar kit. 

There is a thread going on at the minute where comments like "I don't think I could spend 10k on a guitar, though I can easily afford it" have been made (presumably typing while balancing a laptop on a prole) and it made me realise that just like mentioned in here, as well as being musical instruments, guitars are "veblen goods" - nobody needs this ridiculous high-end kit, not even a little bit.  Demand is created by the price itself allied with a perception of the product conferring elite status.
    Oh no, the old veblen goods debate! ;)

My POV, people work hard and like a bit of luxury now and then, whether it be a Les Paul Custom, Rolex watch, an expensive amp or whatever takes their fancy. It's like, "I'm worth it".  :)

Too many times these "veblen goods" debates end up in inverse snobbery or simply bitterness and jealously.

People don't always want to lead a grey existence, they don't want to eat the cheapest food, drive the cheapest car and live in the cheapest house  and if a luxury purchase makes them feel good or is an ambition fulfilled good luck to them IMO. 

I can't particularly argue with that.

However it does sort of agree with the idea that high end guitar gear is veblen goods ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    jpfamps said:

Out of interest, why would anyone want a watch with hand-made parts?

Perhaps this man can hopefully explain why:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/magazine-24211691/the-man-who-makes-100000-watches
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    beed84 said:
    jpfamps said:

Out of interest, why would anyone want a watch with hand-made parts?

Perhaps this man can hopefully explain why:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/magazine-24211691/the-man-who-makes-100000-watches
    Yep, Roger Smith carrying on George Daniels tradition.

Just wonderful to see. 
    Neil said:
    Neil said:
    Re the Seiko 5, I am a big fan of Seiko but to lump a 5 in with a Rolex because it has cogs and springs is like lumping a Ford Fiesta in with a Rolls Royce.  Same sort of bits.  

The Fiesta is much more useful and usable though?  I used to have one with a little camera in the back, you could parallel park in tiny little spaces, was great.  I'd literally never want a Rolls Royce, big stupid overpriced lumps of cars.

I think watches came up, in another thread as well, raised by me, about the perception of quality with expensive guitar kit. 

There is a thread going on at the minute where comments like "I don't think I could spend 10k on a guitar, though I can easily afford it" have been made (presumably typing while balancing a laptop on a prole) and it made me realise that just like mentioned in here, as well as being musical instruments, guitars are "veblen goods" - nobody needs this ridiculous high-end kit, not even a little bit.  Demand is created by the price itself allied with a perception of the product conferring elite status.

My POV, people work hard and like a bit of luxury now and then, whether it be a Les Paul Custom, Rolex watch, an expensive amp or whatever takes their fancy. It's like, "I'm worth it".  :)

Too many times these "veblen goods" debates end up in inverse snobbery or simply bitterness and jealously.

People don't always want to lead a grey existence, they don't want to eat the cheapest food, drive the cheapest car and live in the cheapest house  and if a luxury purchase makes them feel good or is an ambition fulfilled good luck to them IMO. 

However it does sort of agree with the idea that high end guitar gear is veblen goods ;)
    So, according to you anything above the most basic tool for the job is veblen goods?

That sort of thinking may have gone down well in the old Communist Russia of the past but I will always disagree with it.
    Neil said:
    Neil said:
    Neil said:

So, according to you anything above the most basic tool for the job is veblen goods?

That sort of thinking may have gone down well in the old Communist Russia of the past but I will always disagree with it.
    No of course not don't be wet.  It's quite possible to find the excesses of the very wealthy a bit offensive without being a communist.

However over in the other thread people are genuinely saying they would pay 10k for a guitar, a lump of wood and metal, and whatever their provenance I really find it hard to believe that they don't fit the definition of veblen goods.

People can spend their money on what they want, whether it fits an economic pattern or not is fairly irrelevant to them I suspect.

Like all economic concepts it's just a way of explaining how a certain graph looks, it's nothing to get upset about.
    Neil said:
    Neil said:
    Neil said:

Oh no, the old veblen goods debate!

My POV, people work hard and like a bit of luxury now and then, whether it be a Les Paul Custom, Rolex watch, an expensive amp or whatever takes their fancy. It's like, "I'm worth it". 

However it does sort of agree with the idea that high end guitar gear is veblen goods

No of course not don't be wet.  It's quite possible to find the excesses of the very wealthy a bit offensive without being a communist.

However over in the other thread people are genuinely saying they would pay 10k for a guitar, a lump of wood and metal, and whatever their provenance I really find it hard to believe that they don't fit the definition of veblen goods.

People can spend their money on what they want, whether it fits an economic pattern or not is fairly irrelevant to them I suspect.

Like all economic concepts it's just a way of explaining how a certain graph looks, it's nothing to get upset about.
    Well don't then.  ;)

Personally I don't find whatever people spend their money on to be in any way offensive, even if it is "£10k for a guitar, a lump of wood and metal". 
    Neil said:
    Neil said:
    Neil said:
    Neil said:

Oh no, the old veblen goods debate!

My POV, people work hard and like a bit of luxury now and then, whether it be a Les Paul Custom, Rolex watch, an expensive amp or whatever takes their fancy. It's like, "I'm worth it". 

However it does sort of agree with the idea that high end guitar gear is veblen goods

Well don't then.  ;)

Personally I don't find whatever people spend their money on to be in any way offensive, even if it is "£10k for a guitar, a lump of wood and metal". 
    Yeah I picked up that you didn't ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    cruxiform said:
    jdbwales recommended using an Eminence Legend
    I replaced the MIC Celestion G-10N-40 16 Ohm in my 2009 mk1 HT-5 mini stack with an Eminence Legend 10. 

I mention this because the amp just boomeranged back to me. It would have been impolite to refuse at the price.

Running a BOSS FRV-1 reverb pedal in the loop adds to the Fender clean channel illusion a little bit. Some means of removing the subtractive EQ from the circuit altogether - à la Fender Champ - might be interesting.

ecc83 said:
    It is largely true that the Five is an HT pedal with a MOSFET PI and a valve OP stage. 
    That figures.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.