Sound deadening/damping

What's Hot
I have a small practise room that is boomy sounding,need to soften sound but Don't want to stick acoustic foam to walls etc,anyone have something acoustic damping wise to take away harshness of lots of hard surfaces,possibly something free standing but limited space.
Need some ideas on what fretboarders might be able to offer.

Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited April 2018
    I'm using these from studio spares, they're designed to be wall mounted but are stiff enough to lean against walls or free stand if you invented a foot or base. Quite fragile though.

There's loads of DIY solutions online using covered Rockwool inside wooden frames.
  • For something free standing the easiest thing to do is buy an IKEA bookshelf, pack it with insulation (probably lighter density depending on depth), and cover in some burlap/something nicer but generally a fabric that you could breathe through.

If you google IKEA bass traps you’ll find some ideas at sites like Gearslutz.

Other option is just buy/build some acoustic panels and lean them against the wall, but ideally you’d have some absorption at ear level for it to kill the most flutter echo for you.

If you have the budget, GIK acoustics do freestanding traps. Their stuff is very good, as is their support, but it’s not the cheapest option.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited April 2018
    Acoustic foam doesn't work, other than to make the sound quite wooly as it only really deadens the high end.
    Thos studiospares panels are better than foam but not by much.

You probably want bass traps, and possibly quite a lot of them.
    Provide the room dimensions to me and I will work out how many.
    If you provide some photos then I can advise you on placement too.
    (Aren't I nice?)

Budget for £500-1000-ish.

I have a bunch of GIK bass traps that I am selling, incidentally (in preparation for the move, where I'll be back in a commercial studio and not need them)
    3x wall panel 244 traps, and 2 corner traps.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    edited April 2018
    You can get canvas prints that hang on the wall in Wooden frames quite cheaply. Then you can simply stuff the back of them full of dense rockwool. 

I made these panels for my old live room, you won't need anything as big as your room probably isn't as big. We designed a system where we could move the panels anywhere in the room as the rail went all the way round. The difference between no panels and with panels was amazing. They are very effective 

Also made these panels for the control room, again just rockwool made to look nice. Notice the print on the left wall, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about, buy the picture and stuff it with rockwool. Won't help the bass as not big enough to bass trap but will take the harshness off if there's a lot of bright surfaces 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    That looks great Danny.

Yes if you are prepared to make the traps yourself then you save a lot of money.
    I think a commercial trap is about £80 a piece.
    When I built some they were coming in at around £30 a piece.
  • Many thanks fellas,bass traps certainly seem the way to proceed.
    Just going to have a think and get back to you.
    Fantastic help guys.
  • These guys are great if you go down the ready-made route - http://www.bluefrogaudio.co.uk
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Moved from Classifieds to Studio and Recording
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Many thanks Stuart,I will take a look, I am still enjoying the Matchless cab I bought from you!!