SteveF's Pedal Building Journey

What's Hot

Comments

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    edited April 2018

Adam_MD said:
    Unfortunately not.  I only order one type of pot from Tayda Alpha 16mm right angled PCB mount with a 15mm tall and 6mm wide shaft

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/potentiometer-variable-resistors/rotary-potentiometer/logarithmic/10k-ohm-logarithmic-taper-potentiometer-round-shaft-pc-mount.html

If I need to use them for a vero build I just cut the excess leg off where it bends at 90 degrees.

If you're soldering them for a Vero build do you use the little 5x2 Vero trick that the tagboardeffects guy suggests or do you just solder straight to the little pin?

EDIT: Cancel that, I just looked at them again, the Vero thing wouldn't work with those and they look like they have enough leg to solder to before the 90deg bend. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How long do Tayda orders usually take to come through using the standard postal option to avoid the import charges etc?  I did an order at the outset of this before I realised about the codes and it hasn't arrived yet.  That was on 8 Apr. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Longest time Tayda has taken for me was 18 days, shortest was 8 days. If you ordered on 8th April that does seem a long time ago.
    This answers that question! :angry: 

So much for not getting pinged on the slower options. 
    Although weirdly I'm wondering if this is actually the second parcel. (invoice date is 26 Apr).  God knows where the first is then. 
    edited April 2018
    Shit. How did that happen? How did they calculate that amount? Check your Tayda order and tracking in case you chose the wrong delivery option by mistake. The DHL option can sometimes be cheaper.
    Yeah I’ll have a check thoroughly later. I’m thinking that invoice date might be parcelforces invoice, not taydas so could be the first package. It would be very quick otherwise.  I’ll work it out and check what I did to see where it went wrong. Who normally delivers yours? Parcelforce or Royal Mail? Wondering if it was too big/heavy for RM on this end so ended up as parcelforce.  
    Royal Mail.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Royal Mail always delivers mine and I’ve never been hit for import charges in almost 3 years now.  
    Adam_MD said:
    Royal Mail always delivers mine and I’ve never been hit for import charges in almost 3 years now.  
    That makes me feel so much better.... :lol:
    SteveF said:
    Adam_MD said:
    That makes me feel so much better.... :lol:
    To be honest I’ve been waiting for the other shoe to drop for a while now.  I won’t be able to complain if they do charge me for one of my orders.  
    It was a fairly big order to be fair - I reckon it will still have worked out cheaper than buying a dozen or so enclosures, 100+ pots and knobs etc via bitsbox or similar. Like you say, I'm sure if I don't get pinged every time, the odd one won't be too painful.
    SteveF said:
    It was a fairly big order to be fair - I reckon it will still have worked out cheaper than buying a dozen or so enclosures, 100+ pots and knobs etc via bitsbox or similar. Like you say, I'm sure if I don't get pinged every time, the odd one won't be too painful.
    Ah If it was that huge that’s probably why you got stung.  I’ve only ordered enclosures from them once it’s usually just pots and knobs for me these days.  
    Yeah, I assume it was the size was too big for Royal Mail. 
    Are you sure you chose the "Registered Mail" option for that order? If you did, then I reckon it's as @Adam_MD says because of the physical size being too big for RM.

But how did PF calculate the duty? Based on what the value declared on the outside of the parcel?
    Not sure yet. It’s not here til tomorrow. Had to pay the ransom first! :lol: 
    Just checked. Both orders on registered mail 7-16 days
    Charges calculated as: 

The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the:

• basic value of goods, plus
    • postage, packing and insurance, plus
    • any import (Customs or Excise) duties charged
    Mine was $201 inc P&P. Currently about £150.  Import VAT is supposed to be around 20% and I was charged closer to 10% so I can only assume that the declared value was lower.  Will confirm tomorrow.  Either way, I can't complain.  Although the parcel force admin charge of 11 quid is rubbish. 
    Steve, did you figure out which Tayda order it was? Did you receive your other order yet?
    Yes I've had it now.  It was the first order.  They'd under declared the value by about 50% which I'm rather glad about given the fee.