Solo of the Month (SotM) #36 - Chat

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
edited May 2018 in Making Music
This is the 36th solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge and is being run by @stratman3142 and @TTony.

The challenge is now open, and remains open for submissions until 11:30pm on 23rd May 2018.

Here's this month's backing track (you can download it from soundcloud). Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

Discussion:

Something laid back this month, after last month's frenzy

The tempo is 83 BPM and the chords are below:
 C  Am  C  Am  C  Am Fmaj7  Dm9
 C  Am  C  Am  C  Am Fmaj7  Dm9 stay on Dm9
 C  Am  C  Am  C  Am Fmaj7  Dm9
 C  Am  C  Am  C  Am Fmaj7  Dm9 stay on Dm9
Am

The backing track has 3dB of headroom to add your solos. Add your solo and (as a guideline) try to avoid boosting the overall level beyond that if possible. That way the entries should be at roughly the same level and we won't get into loudness wars .

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline of 23rd May 2018, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
Voting will end on 11.30pm 30th May 2018
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends. If there are 8 or more entries, then the order and scores of those in the top half will be announced.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm36-2018-05

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    So when you import the backing into your DAW, say the track is set to 0dB, I could set my guitar level to 3dB for it to stand out?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    @bingefeller the easiest way to consider processing would be:

Set the master volume at zero dB

Import the backing track and leave it alone

Record your solo and process it according to taste. The track level may vary depending on how you record it, whether you use compression, etc. It's up to you to decide if want it to be understated or balls deep in your face (probably in between the two is best). 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    So when you import the backing into your DAW, say the track is set to 0dB, I could set my guitar level to 3dB for it to stand out?
    If the track volume control is set to 0dB then I'd expect the backing track to peak at -3dB.

Just set the level of your guitar track to what you feel sounds right. There should be enough headroom such that the backing track plus solo will be under 0dB.
    It's not a competition.
    edited May 2018
    Just listened to the backing track. First off I'll say thanks for taking the time to make the tracks and run the challenge @stratman3142. ;;; It's very much appreciated. 

Having said that I don't think I've ever listened to anything vaguely close to this type of music. Ever. I don't even know what genre it might be. I'm unsure if I should use a guitar or a glockenspiel. I don't even own a glockenspiel so I hope a guitar will do.

I'm up for the challenge but shall apologise in advance for whatever bastard creation I end up submitting. Good luck everyone
    Just listened to the backing track. First off I'll say thanks for taking the time to make the tracks and run the challenge @stratman3142. ;;; It's very much appreciated. 

Having said that I don't think I've ever listened to anything vaguely close to this type of music. Ever. I don't even know what genre it might be. I'm unsure if I should use a guitar or a glockenspiel. I don't even own a glockenspiel so I hope a guitar will do.

I'm up for the challenge but shall apologise in advance for whatever bastard creation I end up submitting. Good luck everyone

I just hear it as a bluesy A minor pentatonic thing - or A Aeolian mode if you want to get fancy :)

Next month perhaps I'll go for full on rock.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Haven’t had a chance to listen yet but after your analysis @flying_pie I’m now intrigued (ok, more worried!!!). Sounds like I may need to nick my 6 year olds glockenspiel!!!!!

I just hear it as a bluesy A minor pentatonic thing - or A Aeolian mode if you want to get fancy :)

Next month perhaps I'll go for full on rock.

Yeah. I'd worked out it would be C major for those of us using glockenspiels.

Or A minor for guitars. ;)

• ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Result, I think my toy glockenspiel is in C!!
    edited May 2018
    ChrisRG said:

Hmmm, I've spotted a loop hole. The instructions don't actually state that it has to be a guitar solo. Go for it.

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ChrisRG said:
    Awesome.

I'm think my kids' toy keyboard has a birdsong setting which has a glockenspielesque sound quality... I wonder if it's got a line out... 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Sent!
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4088
     Next month full on rock??  Hold my beer, i have some shredding to do!
     Next month full on rock??  Hold my beer, i have some shredding to do!
    Get on board for this one. It's 83bpm... That could mean at least 32nd note runs for you shredders .. ;)
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4088
    I must admit this month's one is tempting. I may give it a go. 
    ChrisRG said:
    Awesome.

I'm think my kids' toy keyboard has a birdsong setting which has a glockenspielesque sound quality... I wonder if it's got a line out... 

Well I suppose someone had to do it. This isn't my official entry by the way.

It's not a competition.
    Sent!

Got it. Quick of the mark. I'll post a playlist as soon as I get a second entry.

It's not a competition.
    ChrisRG said:
    Awesome.

Well I suppose someone had to do it. This isn't my official entry by the way.

Haha. That does actually go with the backing track. Good effort 
    Sent. No glockenspiel or children's keyboard  used. Just a Telecaster. 
    Sent. No glockenspiel or children's keyboard  used. Just a Telecaster. 

That's 2 entries so far, which are in the playlist in the original post.

It's not a competition.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I'm going to start working on it later today, and I like that we have challenging, unusual backing tracks.  Getting out of your comfort zone is a good thing to do now and then.  Of course, the odd full on rock track is part of the mix  as well.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay