SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

COMPLETE GIGGING PA NEEDED

What's Hot
Having just taken over a music venue in Surrey.

I'm after a job lot of PA equipment that's reliable and capable of support multipiece bands, professional, signed and amateur musicians  alike. 

£1,000 budget.

I don't mind tatty aslong as it's not been botched repaired or ragged.

solid and reliable... so I don't look a tit when pro sound dudes come in for bands.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    What power level and how many mixer channels are you looking for?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    You're not going to get anything that won't make you "look like a tit" for £1,000.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Yes you are....
    I'll suggest looking about locally, gumtree and Facebook groups.  For starters Peavey Hisys, hisys xt are cheap cos they are heavy... They sound good and won't die.  

some amps.  I got a pair of peavey amps in the 500w a side area for £30-40 each.

and good quality analogue desk can be had cheap.

on top of that at minimum a couple of old rack reverbs and eq units.

lastly add some stage monitors and if sound man be a distance away a snake.

over time i added a 2nd set of tops and a pair of bins again cheap off fb groups and gumtree.

How did it work? It cost under £1k, venue was a decent size (best croud we had was about 220 people.  We had concert level sound and it didn't hurt the ears.  Had a number of bands compliment the quality of sound over proper music venues.

We even put on the Slaves (usa) only scottish date which was in Dundee and even got compliments on our sound from them and they have played much much bigger pro venues.  In fact the bass player said he thought best sound of tour. (we had two peavey hisys 2xt per side and a passive Mackie 1800s bass bin per side at that point.  Trust me old heavy pa kit is cheap as bands don't want it now and it is perfect for venues where kit won't be moved.

put adds on Facebook groups and gumtree and speak to a lot of local sound men and sound companies as they may be able to pit you on to a venue closing or upgrading kit.  Worth a shot to get a full setup.

down line you may want to add mics.... Samson q7 and cl05 work very well and will not embarrass you.  Plus they are cheap.

john
    In end we had snake, soundcraft delta 24, peavey 2xt x4, mackie bass bin x2, reverbs, eq's, wharfedale pro and peavey stage monitors, some di units, stands, palmer amps, 12x Samson mics and it did cost us under that.
    mr-mac said:
    In end we had snake, soundcraft delta 24, peavey 2xt x4, mackie bass bin x2, reverbs, eq's, wharfedale pro and peavey stage monitors, some di units, stands, palmer amps, 12x Samson mics and it did cost us under that.
    I didn't say you couldn't cobble together a bunch of old/budget gear for under £1,000 - clearly, you can.

However, when "pro sound dudes come in for bands" you will "look a tit".

R.
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    You're not going to get anything that won't make you "look like a tit" for £1,000.
    I've done it before dude - there's loads of gear not being used and options to discuss.
    mr-mac said:
    I'll suggest looking about locally, gumtree and Facebook groups.  For starters Peavey Hisys, hisys xt are cheap cos they are heavy... They sound good and won't die.  

some amps.  I got a pair of peavey amps in the 500w a side area for £30-40 each.

and good quality analogue desk can be had cheap.

on top of that at minimum a couple of old rack reverbs and eq units.

lastly add some stage monitors and if sound man be a distance away a snake.

over time i added a 2nd set of tops and a pair of bins again cheap off fb groups and gumtree.

How did it work? It cost under £1k, venue was a decent size (best croud we had was about 220 people.  We had concert level sound and it didn't hurt the ears.  Had a number of bands compliment the quality of sound over proper music venues.

We even put on the Slaves (usa) only scottish date which was in Dundee and even got compliments on our sound from them and they have played much much bigger pro venues.  In fact the bass player said he thought best sound of tour. (we had two peavey hisys 2xt per side and a passive Mackie 1800s bass bin per side at that point.  Trust me old heavy pa kit is cheap as bands don't want it now and it is perfect for venues where kit won't be moved.

put adds on Facebook groups and gumtree and speak to a lot of local sound men and sound companies as they may be able to pit you on to a venue closing or upgrading kit.  Worth a shot to get a full setup.

down line you may want to add mics.... Samson q7 and cl05 work very well and will not embarrass you.  Plus they are cheap.

john
    Thank you for the "sound" advise.

I'm on my third music venue and this place was an old-school Hobgoblin so it was known for gigs with a cobbled together kit. My first venue we had people like Onslaught, Ferocious Dog, three daft monkeys and Goldie Lookin' Chain use the kit we cobbled together then with compliments.. so it's quality over quantity
    I've done it before dude - there's loads of gear not being used and options to discuss.
    Good luck!

R.
  • jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 141
    Pair of QSC K10's (or K8's) and an Allen & Heath desk with at least 8 channels. Will give you enough headroom for any style of music and they're the industry standard desks and speakers so you'll make any sound engineer that visits very happy.

failing that look in to the Behringer XR series mixers (ignore that they're Behringer, the XR series are much better than Mackie etc; they purchased Midas and TC electronic etc so making some great higher end gear now). You'll need a tablet to control it but you save a bit of money as no faders etc on the unit. It also gives the engineer freedom to walk around the room with their iPad/tablet and really hear what the audience are hearing.
    I do like that idea! The XR Series - i'll start tackling ebay.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Second hand Yamaha DXR12 and basic analogue desk...then add sub(s) later if you can afford
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    I got a Soundcraft M18 for £350 from Bax and it does the same as the Behringer. Great bit of kit (and it would work well with the HZ cabs I PM'd you about!)

mr-mac said:
    I didn't say you couldn't cobble together a bunch of old/budget gear for under £1,000 - clearly, you can.

However, when "pro sound dudes come in for bands" you will "look a tit".

R.
    Maybe.... We did. Ok sound guy who was in a few times always said would rather use our desk than any other proper venue in town.  However I do think most of em underestimated the big old peavey hisys.  Tbh I was even pleasantly surprised esspecially at slaves gig as it was a fully mic'd band and kit etc.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    If it’s not a huge room then get this rig or something similar.    

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/68526/full-band-great-quality-pa-system-1000-ono#latest