MJW Amps Update Thread

What's Hot
martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Rather than continue on the "Should I, shouldn't I...." thread  I'll start a new one for updates, for anyone who's interested and hasn't seen Facebook. You'll gather the answer was Yes anyway, thanks largely to the support I've received from members here, and I'm now set up in our new house in Aberdeenshire, which has a large garage with a good sized, purpose built, workshop space at one end.
Orders are coming in steadily and the first amp of the new start was delivered last week.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader

It's a Roadstar 18 with 2 footswitchable channels.

The 'clean' channel is an EF86 with 6-way tone control, and the Overdrive channel is  Marshall Plexi style. There's a fat swith which adds a bit of heft to both channels.

It also has a valve driven spring reverb, with a 3-spring MOD tank, as well as Power Scaling and an SDM (Metroamp) effects loop.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Well done, looking forward to seeing increasingly drool worthy amps, what with Chris at Rift, we surely have the choice of some excellent amps within this Forum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    trying to load some pics at the moment, but having probs on my tablet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    Sussed it.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Looks great Martin.  Can't wait to order my 5E3, I keep staring at the empty cab longingly!

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    Looks great, I'm still delighted with my Roadstar Twin
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    tFB Trader
    strtdv said:
    Looks great, I'm still delighted with my Roadstar Twin
    Glad you're still enjoying it :)

Looks great Martin.  Can't wait to order my 5E3, I keep staring at the empty cab longingly!

Looking forward to that. Might try and the in delivery with a visit down south. 

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    Looks bloody awesome Martin 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Top work!
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the support chaps, much appreciated.
    tFB Trader

Another V6-20.this time for Klaus, in green/gold, much like my own amp. Relatively simple, with Power Scaling, SDM Loop and foot-switchable dual master volumes, but it sounds awesome. All the 60s and 70s Marshall-esque rock and blues you could want at any volume from gig to bedroom. Also a cracking JTM45/Bassman clean, the best pedal platform there is. That's why I've got one! :)

Klaus' amp, #224 is on the left, mine, #6 is on the right, built 11 years earlier and has done years of gigging and rehearsing.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Great stuff Martin! That view ain’t half bad either ;)
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    Great stuff Martin! That view ain’t half bad either ;)
    Cheers! :)
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Excellent news.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    @martinw When you get a chance mate drop me a  email or a call. I might be interested in finishing that project we almost started!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited May 2018
    Great to see you 'back' Martin (arguably you never 'left' but you know what I mean).  

By end of Q1 next year I'm hoping to realise some proceeds from an investment property, when I want to treat myself to a custom hand made guitar (probably a Feline Lion) and a smaller, quality hand-made amp - and in the hope all's still going well with you too, you'll be my first call Martin! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    tFB Trader
    ennspek said:
    @martinw When you get a chance mate drop me a  email or a call. I might be interested in finishing that project we almost started!
    Will do. Would love to build that one!
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    Great to see you 'back' Martin (arguably you never 'left' but you know what I mean).  

By end of Q1 next year I'm hoping to realise some proceeds from an investment property, when I want to treat myself to a custom hand made guitar (probably a Feline Lion) and a smaller, quality hand-made amp - and in the hope all's still going well with you too, you'll be my first call Martin! 
    Many thanks!
    edited May 2018 tFB Trader

Here's the latest. It's a 45 Watt Electra, my take on a Blues Deluxe, so a general 'Fender-y' sound, with a footswitchable drive. With the Drive on, the master is active, and the clean volume is off. Comes with a valve-driven spring reverb that is moderate rather than super-lush, and has a Celestion G12H-75 Creamback speaker. Finished in Tweed with Oxblood/gold stripe grillcloth.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 225
    Another one down in the queue! Someone's having a good weekend with this...