Marshall JMP combo just arrived in my shed...

What's Hot
p90foolp90fool Frets: 31369
A friend of mine's son inherited an old Marshall a few years ago and he just chucked it in his attic, so I offered to take a look to see how much work it needs, and to balance that against potential value. 

I think it's a 1980 JMP 2104 50w 2x12, basically the combo version of the 2204 head. 

Obviously it's covered in shite, half the logo is missing and an input jack has either been removed or dropped inside, but it all seems to be more or less intact. 

Any thoughts on what it might be worth after a quick refurb? I need to give him a realistic idea on what he might actually get for it in order to decide how to procede.  

http://i63.tinypic.com/b69f7p.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/351vpqt.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/es897d.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/b7ys6g.jpg
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Looks the same as the one that lives in my band's practice room! Same year, too. They're absolutely lovely amps, though it'll definitely want a service. Fantastic speakers too, though that vintage of G12-65 have a problem with the glue going brittle on the dustcaps and voice coils. Ask me how I know  :'(

So... if the plan is to sell it, play the speakers enough to know they're working and don't have any issues that are about to emerge.

When I looked a couple of years ago (was contemplating buying it off the singer's uncle), the combos sold for less than the equivalent heads - £500-£650 or so. Don't know if the market's changed since then
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    Might it be a 2144? Aynsley Lister has a couple of those - http://www.aynsleylister.co.uk/index.php/about/the-gear/aynsley-lister#. Sometimes people who go on his guitar weekends buy the same kit as him and there might be talk on their value on his facebook tuition group.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31369
    @Cirrus that's really good info, thanks. 

I intend to clean it up, fill it with known good valves and test it with a different cab to start with. 

There's some sketchy looking wiring on the speakers, so I'll treat the amp and cab as separate entities before I fire it up as a combo. 

Time to make some spiders homeless!
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Stating the obvious but those mains filter caps seem to be the originals (1980).  They are likely to be shot, particularly if the amp has not been used in a long time and should be changed, probably before you even try to power it up.  The output valves are knackered by the look of them.

I'm sure @ICBM will be along to tell you that spiders are conductive!  so be careful in there.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    +1 on the caps, it could be an expensive mistake to just turn it on and see. At that point the cleanup and rebuild would negate a sizable chunk of change.

I think that needs a proper going through to sort the issues. The valves should be tested but might be OK depending on how hard a life they lived before retirement.

If you are doing it yourself, fire it up gently on a variac. Those caps will likely be dry and ready to explode. Or just change them anyway to be sure.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    Fab amps. I had one back in the day - looked very similar, with a part broken logo.

I can't help on the current value - I think I paid £120 for mine, but that was in the early 90s!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    That left hand EL34 is dead, don't use it.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    The vacuum got out.  =)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    Don't forget the possibility that it was dead when he inherited it, ie. that valve could have taken out the OT. In other words, don't spend too much before you make sure it's basically all OK. :)

R.
    Cheers guys, plenty of food for thought here.
    Any recommendations on where to get filter caps? I'm good for valves and speakers. 
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Modulus  or ampmaker. Tubetown in europe all good sources
    p90fool said:
    Any recommendations on where to get filter caps? I'm good for valves and speakers. 
    I got a mate in California to buy from the US and ship them over to me. :)

R.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers, I've bought from Ampmaker before, should've remembered that!
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    p90fool said:
    I got a mate in California to buy from the US and ship them over to me. :)

R.
    Slightly convoluted method, especially as my prefered brand of filter caps are F&T, which are made in Germany.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Funnily enough I have never needed to change the Daly filter caps on this genre of Marshall amps, they have always come up OK even on amps that haven't been switched on for years. If you do have a variac that is of course the sensible route, and make sure the bias voltage is present before you plug in any new output valves, as the caps in the bias circuit do have a tendency to die of old age.   
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    Value wise Cranes had a clean one from 77 recently going for £800 or £900 if I recall correctly if that’s any help. 
    jpfamps said:
    p90fool said:
    I got a mate in California to buy from the US and ship them over to me.

R.
    Slightly convoluted method, especially as my prefered brand of filter caps are F&T, which are made in Germany.....
    I wanted some specific Vishay / Sprague caps:

TVA1503 - CAPACITOR ALUM ELEC 8UF, 250V, AXIALTVA1704-E3 - CAPACITOR ALUM ELEC 8UF,TE1202-E3 - CAPACITOR ALUM ELEC 5UF 25V AXIALTE1207-E3 - CAPACITOR ALUM ELEC 25UF, 25V, AXIAL2222 138 19689 - CAPACITOR ALUM ELEC 68UF
    BTW, @p90fool, I have some F&T 40+40uf 450V radial caps, if that's what you need.

Look like this (but 40+40uF and 450V):

Thanks @robinbowes , I'll dig into this weekend and see what I need. 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Ahh Tinypic, I I can see everything on their site except the bloody photos :) If it's a 2104 enjoy, it was my first Marshall back in the day, sounded epic at full tilt :) Great at home volume with a v1 Guvnor IIRC :) Heavy; it was in storage once and the place was burgled, they cleaned the place out, left my Marshall :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    These are great amps, and very undervalued. Once cleaned up it's actually not in bad condition cosmetically, compared to a lot of them - they were very much a 'workhorse' amp, and are heavy and awkward to carry so they got bashed around a lot.

But as already said, don't even think about turning it on. It needs to be fully inspected, tested and powered up under properly controlled conditions by someone experienced, or it may suddenly be worth a lot less. One valve is definitely dead, the other looks quite unwell... and yes, spiders (and their webs) really are electrically conductive!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson