Building 3 T/C bodies

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
in Making & Modding tFB Trader

I've just purchased several planks of Swamp Ash, I've taken wood from 3 different plank's to build these bodies, are all slightly different densities, so hopefully my formula for working out the finished weight will be about right.

I'll just put up a couple of photos the start the build, hopefully in the next few weeks these T/C's will be completed, along with all the figure work in calculating the weight. 

I'm just off for a long weekend away, first port of call will be the Chicken Shed Theatre tonight, to see One flew over the Cuckoo's nest. Then tomorrow I have tickets for the preview of the refurbished glasshouse at Kew Gardens. Then Saturday down to see my daughter for the rest of the weekend in Blandford, Dorset. Then back to work shop Tuesday.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1666
    Body C is very pretty! If I wasn't already building a Tele...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Awesome work Graham :)
  • Will you be flogging these once complete?
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    Will you be flogging these once complete?
    Yes, but 1 is already sold.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

tFB Trader

The first body "C" is now finished.

The size of the Swamp Ash was 14" x 19" x 1.75" (465.5 cubic inches) and weighed 7lb 10oz (122 oz’s). This gives a cubic inch weight of .26 oz’s.

(122 / 465.5 = .26 oz per cubic inch)

After rough cut to shape 4lb 12oz's

The figure I use to estimate the weight of a TC is 265 cubic inches. Multiply this by .26 oz gives the predicted weight for a TC from this plank of wood of 4lb 5oz’s.

The photo below is body "C", it's weight is 4lb 3oz's so if I reverse the calculation of this body there are 257.7 cubic inches of wood. This is about 8 cubic inches less than the figure I use, which is only a couple of ounces. I will put this figure into a new database and record the weight's and cubic inches of say the next 10 TC's I make, to get a new average cubic inch volume for a TC.

The next two TC's won't be made until mid June.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader

I've just finished the last two T/C bodies, that I was checking the calculations for working out the body weight before starting the build.

I won't bother with all the calculations this time as you can check out on body "C" 

The wood I used for body "B" worked out at .252 oz per cubic inch, this give an estimated weight of the finished body as 4lb 2oz. The body weighed in when finished at 4lb 1oz, so I think my calculation of 257 to 264 cubic inches in the telecaster body is about right.

The weight of body “A” looked like it was going to be on the heavy side, as it's cubic inch weight of the plank is .29 oz per cubic inches, this would give the finished body weight of 4lb 14oz. so I decided not to make a standard telecaster, but to make a custom body, as there is considerably more would removed on this type of body. The part finished body, as in the photo below come in at 4lb 9oz, there is still a little bit to do, but I may not do any more until the body is ordered. I could most likely lose a few more ounces by doing a tummy cut and an arm cut.

Body "B" weight 4lb 1oz

Body "A" weight 4lb 9oz at the moment.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom