Rift Tweed Vee (formally 'V-Front Super 5B4 Build')

What's Hot

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    edited May 2018 tFB Trader

I've just had an e-mail back from a friend in the States who owns an original 5B4. I had asked him to compare the voltages on his amp with those found on the layout to see how accurate they were. With the correct 117v AC mains input he measured the readings in Red.

Now, from experience the voltages on the older Fender layouts/schematics shouldn't be taken as gospel...they were working engineers drawings and who knows what operating conditions those measurements were taken under. Ohms Law will tell you that some of the voltages found are either impossible, or highly improbable (see 6G2 Princeton). It's usually best to find an original example and take your own readings under real operating conditions.

Anyway, the voltages in Red match others (+/- 5%) found online in forums and magazine articles, so it's probably safe to say that they are true. Now I can start to do some more accurate calculations.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    Thanks I'll have a listen
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    So, onto the build proper...

Below shows the eyelet board on my super hi-tech 'Board Population Rig' - this allows me to drop the components into place and gravity holds them there whilst I solder in place - saves bending the component legs over underneath the board.

Here, the filter pack is populated in place. 3 x 22uf 450v electrolytics and 2 x 10k 2w metal oxide resistors. Hole in the middle is a mounting point to chassis. The board will sit on 1/4" standoffs.

The completed board. Annoyingly, I was out of stock of the 6L6's cathode bypass cap (25uf 63v) so left a space to add in when the delivery arrives.

I went for my stock Jupiter Yellow tone caps - a huge improvement over Mallories or Orange Drops.

Next job is to make the underboard connections, clean off any solder flux, and attached the flying leads.

Unfortunately, the build must stop here whilst I move into my new workshop. Watch this space...

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The cabinet arrived a few weeks back, but due to the workshop move, I haven't had much chance to do anything.

Speakers

The original 5B4s were loaded with Jensen P10R Alnico speakers, and for this amp, I definitely wanted to stick with Alnico, despite being so expensive. I went for WGS G10As, an American voiced driver with a 1" voice coil and 40oz magnet. SPL is 97db and the resonant freq. is 82Hz. Whilst a little overpowered for this amp at 75w a piece, tonally they're spot on without that awful papery, fizzy cone distortion when driven hard.

The transformers are due to arrive next week, so can finally make progress with the chassis build.

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    That cabinet looks amazing. Can’t wait to see the complete build. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    Did this project ever complete @RiftAmps?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:
    Completely forgot about this thread!

I shall update it tomorrow :)
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

RiftAmps said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Completely forgot about this thread!

I shall update it tomorrow :)
    Thanks. I think there was quite a lot of interest in it at the time..........
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    I just caught up with this. Amazing build, Chris! 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6597
    edited March 2018
    RiftAmps said:

I've also been following @WezV 's LP Prototype build on here, and as this would be an era-appropriate amplifier for a '51 Les Paul, it would be great to hear them together.

I am the proud owner of the WezV prototype Earth 2 '52 so I am going to have to call dibs on this one (if you're moving it on after the build Chris @RiftAmps) ;.... I have a strong suspicion that we'll be talking deep sonic joy here! 
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 123
    Would love to see and hear how this turned out!
    Ok, I owe everyone an apology for not updating this thread regularly but there is a genuine reason behind my decision to go quiet, which I'll explain...

During this build, it quickly became apparent that this amplifier was no longer just a fun out-of-hours project to keep me busy, but instead, it started heading down a path towards full-blown development with a view to make the amplifier available to the public.

You see, after the first fire up and playtest I had a grin the size of Oxfordshire on my face which meant I now had to look into making this amp commercially viable. This entails certain technical details and IP that I couldn't post on an internet forum, so pulled down the blinds and went into development mode.

A few months back after the final design was built and tested, I submitted the amplifier to The Guitar Magazine for review which can be found in this month's issue (out today!).

I hope that's cool with everyone? I really wanted to keep this thread going with loads of details and updates but the possibility of making a 5B4 for people to actually buy was far more important.

Go buy a copy and read the review, it's worth it

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    That's very cool that this model has made it to being one of your product range!
    But please can we have more photos here!!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    Awesome!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6597
    Congratulations! Do my dibs still apply? 
    tFB Trader
    merlin said:
    Congratulations! Do my dibs still apply? 
    You’re first on the list :)
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

I just read the review in The Guitar Magazine. Very favourable. Interesting that the reviewer found the choice of speakers made a big difference to the amp, more than might be expected.

Does this amp’s circuit differ from your TV front Pro Chris?
    tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:
    I just read the review in The Guitar Magazine. Very favourable. Interesting that the reviewer found the choice of speakers made a big difference to the amp, more than might be expected.
    Yes, it's a remarkable thing how the amp changes when switching speaker types.

Does this amp’s circuit differ from your TV front Pro Chris?
    Slightly, but they're very close. The architecture is the same, just differing component values.
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    For anyone interested in the construction of the original version of this great amp see:
    http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/features/vintage-bench-test-1950-5b4-fender-super-1956-5e4-a-fender-super/
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    RiftAmps said:

So, this thread is going to document every stage of the research, build, testing, and completion of the V-Front Super, along with my ramblings and thoughts as we go along. I'm going to go full nerd on this, so brace yourself for lots of sums, measurements, and tedious back and forth. I'll include lots and lots of hi-res photos for those that just want to see the process.

So a meticulously documented build, has little to no documentation whatsoever (IP?!) and morphs into a sales/promo thread. I don't see the point anymore. You should move this thread to the made in UK subforum where it belongs. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom