Helix + Reaper DAW

2»

Comments

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    equalsql said:
    DiscoStu said:
    When I bought my Focusrite interface my mate told me I couldn't have it plugged in to my Windows laptop at the same time as my Yamaha THR amp, so maybe having two USB interfaces running at the same time is causing the conflict.
    This ^^^^
    You will need to 'bond' the two audio interfaces. The free ASIO driver asio4all allows you to bond multiple interfaces.
    It will find all compatible audio hardware and allow you to select which ones you want to use.
    You can then see all the selected devices i/o options in Reaper's audio config page when using the asio4all driver instead of your Presonus or Line6 specific drivers.
    I tried doing that with ASIO4all once, but it just seemed to add the latency of the two audio interfaces together. I was really just doing it to see if it worked so didn't persevere. I would second @octatonic 's suggestion of just using the line out old skool. Just get a decent sound then record it, save yourself a lot of time.

The other, more faffy, option is to connect the monitors/headphones to the Helix when recording guitars and to the Presonus when doing other stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    wave100 said:
    equalsql said:
    DiscoStu said:
    When I bought my Focusrite interface my mate told me I couldn't have it plugged in to my Windows laptop at the same time as my Yamaha THR amp, so maybe having two USB interfaces running at the same time is causing the conflict.
    This ^^^^
    You will need to 'bond' the two audio interfaces. The free ASIO driver asio4all allows you to bond multiple interfaces.
    It will find all compatible audio hardware and allow you to select which ones you want to use.
    You can then see all the selected devices i/o options in Reaper's audio config page when using the asio4all driver instead of your Presonus or Line6 specific drivers.
    I tried doing that with ASIO4all once, but it just seemed to add the latency of the two audio interfaces together. I was really just doing it to see if it worked so didn't persevere. I would second @octatonic 's suggestion of just using the line out old skool. Just get a decent sound then record it, save yourself a lot of time.

The other, more faffy, option is to connect the monitors/headphones to the Helix when recording guitars and to the Presonus when doing other stuff.
    Think that is what I may have to end up doing.  I didn’t get a chance the other evening to spend some time getting it set-up (Aunts Birthday) but will report back here when I do.

ASIO4all -  Will give that a wide berth for now. Thanks @wave100 ;
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    ASIO for all works to a point (better than Pro Tools aggregate mode anyway) but there is a processor overhead.

Honestly, just record it via analogue outputs, the converters are more than up to the job.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563

That's what I ended up doing. Helix with headphones when tracking guitars or messing about with reamping etc, then switching usb cable to my main interface for everything else, and the main interface remains connected to monitors