Waves prs plugin. 49usd introduction price

What's Hot
New one from waves. Downloaded the demo. Early days. Some decent crunch sounds, but not inspiring. Will have a proper go over the weekend.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I'm not that impressed with it.
    Helix Native is better and it is miles behind the Axe FX/Kemper.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    octatonic said:
    At the moment would agree. Sgear still my go to plugin.

Am yet to be impressed by any of waves' output.
    octatonic said:
    At the moment would agree. Sgear still my go to plugin.

There are a few gems in the Mercury bundle, which I've had for a long time now.
    It used to be that Waves were the only game in town but there are usually better options.
    Abbey Rd Plates & Vinyl, REDD, L2 and Vocal Rider are the ones I use most.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited May 2018
    So I haven't demoed this yet, but since I have Horizon + some singles I'm not far off a decent upgrade price to Mercury which will be much cheaper overall.  So my plan is to wait for a reasonable sale price and then I'll end up with it anyway.

It depends what you're looking for and what you already have.

I agree with @octatonic that there are individual plugins that beat individual Waves plugins in a lot of areas these days but to me that's only part of the picture.  The primary reason I like Waves is they're stable, and that's been the case for me for years now.  That and pretty much all of their plugins are super low latency which suits me for tracking workflow.

My own philosophy is it's usually easier to screw up by a larger percentage than the difference between 2 plugins, so I might as well use the ones I find most convenient as part of my workflow.  Within reason of course.
    For sure I haven't sampled everything that waves do, but of the ones I have I'm yet to really find anything that either reaper or logic's bundled plugs don't match.

However, when they knock things out for 29usd it can make a lot of sense to buy. 
    edited May 2018
    Yeah several of the plugins in Logic are pretty good.  I'm not familiar with Reaper.

One of the other reasons is I like to be as DAW agnostic as I can.  There's no one DAW that has my ideal workflow for everything, though I have mostly moved to Studio One these days from Logic for audio.  Waves seem stable everywhere and also it's a pretty big company that have been around for a long time, they're probably going to be around for a long time too (touch wood).

Being able to just stick to known plugins that work in multiple DAWs removes another (IMO unnecessary) learning curve.  There are a million ways to achieve the same thing in audio but having a few known workable options regardless of scenario is IMO a better way to do it, at least for me, than trying to reinvent the wheel every time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    That's a very valid comment. I switched from cubase to reaper to logic. Would have been nice if plugins had been a constant
    So for the same price you can currently get the entire Thermionik Suite + Recabinet.  If you already have Recabinet/some singles you can get another 20% off with code FRCWNK7D

http://kazrog.com/2018/05/04/thermionik-suite-now-50/

Features

• 30 amp models spanning all eras and styles.
    • 5 classic overdrive pedals.
    • 20+ cabinets in the Recabinet library (included with full Thermionik Suite purchase.)
    • Every channel, knob, and switch of every amp is emulated.
    • Uncompromising amp modeling quality – rivals even the most expensive dedicated hardware units.
    • Thermionik Suite – includes 30 amp models, 5 overdrive pedal models, acclaimed Recabinet convolution IR cabinet simulator with speaker dynamics.
    • Supports Windows & Mac, 64 & 32 bit, VST / AU / AAX plugin formats.
    I do feel like Waves has kind of forced a price war over the past year or more.  I think they probably have the market size to ride it out, I do worry for some smaller plugin makers though that might not be able to sustain a business model at $29/49 a plugin.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    @guitarfishbay - if you've a Thermionik user, what do you think of it?  $50 seems an attractive price - if it's decent.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    I haven't tried their amp models yet, I think there's a demo.  At the price there only needs to be a few bits in it to be good for it to be worth it though.

I am a Recabinet user, I find that pretty handy for using speaker impulses as you can blend between two pretty quickly.  I also have been using their KClip plugin for ages.
    I do feel like Waves has kind of forced a price war over the past year or more.  I think they probably have the market size to ride it out, I do worry for some smaller plugin makers though that might not be able to sustain a business model at $29/49 a plugin.
    IMHO it was Slate that triggered it with the subscription model.

Waves fought back by dropping a lot of their plugins down and, again imho, re-skinning some of their older products as new plugins.