A new tool for chord inspiration

What's Hot
jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 66
I put this together to look for interesting chords to include in a given key. I hope it helps create a couple cool progressions that wouldn't have happened otherwise. Definitely let me know if I've botched the theory anywhere :)

http://www.joshfreeland.com/modal/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Interesting. Would like to spend some time with it before commenting.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 66
    Keefy said:
    Explanation here:

nice! :+1: 
  • mistercharliemistercharlie Frets: 333
    Great video. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    edited May 2018
    modal interchange - is that like Victoria where I change from the train to the tube...........

Seriously, very impressive even if I haven't got a clue what it's about.

Edited to say, I do get what it's all about but find it extraordinarily daunting and somewhat alarming.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    Id love to say that I knew all this . . . but I don't, I just wish I did . . . I've never really studied music theory and that's a big regret as I often run into a brick wall and cant get over it.   
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• I’m working it all out myself believe me. I just think of it as a big box of chords to grab from that are tangentially related to whatever ‘home’ is. 
  • Great piece of work, must have taken ages. My theory is crap to non existence so whilst I understand a bit of what its all about where I fall down is constructing the basic shape with the bit added.  Take for instance a simple D major to Dmajor 7, without seeing it in a chord diagram I would of never figured it out but might have come across it whilst noodling and have no idea why it sounded good or what theoretically I had done
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    So simply, just add in any chords you want wherever you want, is that what it says ? ;)

• I'm more likely to work that in reverse. Start with a melody and then work out what chords should underpin it. Without the theoretical depth in the vid, obviously - which is why I can find it a bit hard sometimes... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting. My theory is pretty good but a lot of people may benefit from this. You may want to change ‘Lochrian’ to ‘Locrian’ though ;)
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    jmf1928 said:
    Great resource.

I realise the enormity of what I'm suggesting, but if each of the chords that appear on the screen could be clicked in order to play it, you could play your experimental chord progressions.
  • Interesting. My theory is pretty good but a lot of people may benefit from this. You may want to change ‘Lochrian’ to ‘Locrian’ though ;)
    Oops. I’ll have to do that. 

• revsorg said:
    jmf1928 said:
    Great resource.

I realise the enormity of what I'm suggesting, but if each of the chords that appear on the screen could be clicked in order to play it, you could play your experimental chord progressions.
    I think that would be awesome for a future project. If I had more spare time, I’d take it on too.